Spinner bait Wire

I am considering making my own spinnerbaits. What wire do you prefer, R bend or twisted, also 0.40 or 0.41 wire. Is there any notable difference in wire the wires, especially 0.40 or 0.41 wire?

2. Member
    my two bits... Thinner wire, within reason, gives more flex and vibration. I have a 100 pack of 045 that still almost full after many years of pouring my own. I use R bend and .035 mostly. If I make smaller(3/8) I'll use 032, and re pour, saving the blades after a couple a trips. Rather costly getting started, but in the long run much less expensive, and lots of chances to make your own design...BF

3. Member
    .035 wire is pretty much all I use for 3/8 & 1/2 even 3/4 oz. baits. Musky spinnerbaits I go up to .045. Personally fishing in the south, there is no reason to use twisted wire and the "R" bend has a little more flex and less line hang-ups. When I lived/fished in lakes with pike, the twisted wire was a must when using a leader with a snap. In a pinch you could tie flex wire direct to an "R" bend but most prefer the snap swivel leaders. I don't make baits smaller than 3/8 but would go to a lighter frame if I did. Still get a kick out of catching fish on my own spinnerbaits.

4. Member
    I’ve never seen .041 - I’ve used R bend .040 for spinnerbaits & buzzbaits. I bend the spinnerbait wire to replicate the buzzbait when needed so I don’t have to buy 2 different styles. Been making them for over 40 years. I Use the heavy wire down here in FL. Just get some good round nose pliers & side cutters. Also used to tie on skirts. Strike King makes plenty of skirts to easily slide on so quit that.