2018 FX20 LE trolling motor batteries

This boat is about 1.5 yrs old and the trolling motor batteries are starting to lose their all day capacity. Thinking about changing them myself and when I started looking around in the back compartment, I realized how little space there is to get a battery in and out. Hardly any room at all. Almost like the battery would have to be tipped on its end to get it out at the risk of spilling acid. Anybody got any tips on this? Taking out the charger doesn’t even seem it would help. Don’t see why they have to make that area so difficult to work in.

2. Member
    Removing the rear quarter panel on each side is the easiest way to get to batteries. Each panel is secured with torque screws that are embedded in the carpet. I believe they are T-20 size. This will allow you the best access to remove/install batteries.

3. Member
    I dont know about an 18 but I have a 17 FX21 LE and its impossible to get a battery out of that quarter panel. I know because I just replaced my starting battery Monday. The only way I could get it out was to take the trolling motor battery out by tipping its side and wiggling it until it came out. The starting battery was harder to get out because you have to turn it sideways, slide it over to where the trolling motor battery was, turn in length wise, lean it on its side, and then wiggle it out. Putting it back in was just as hard.

4. Member
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the battery would come out or be installed thru the quarter panel opening, but rather use that opening to better access the connections and assist in handling of removal / install.

5. Member
    IDK y Skeeter couldnt make those quarter panels hinged with a latch. Alot easier to access when all you have to do is open the latch.

6. Member
    Thanks for the info. guys. I haven’t attempted it yet but just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. That compartment needs to be re-engineered.