Thread: 250R Pro XS 4S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    This may be a dumb question but what is it about the sportmaster that causes it to hurt the performance on a normal bass boat vs putting it on an allison or similar type boat. I spoke with my mercury dealer today about it and he looked up the specs on the 250R with a sportmaster vs the 250 pro xs 4S with a torquemaster and the gearing is the exact same with the low water pickup being the only difference in the two.

2. Member
    The shape is different in a big way. The design is such that unless its set really high, it will likely have a large drag in the water compared to the TM. I was surprised to see just how big the SM was mounted on the motor compared to the TM. Perhaps someone with more experience with the SM can chime in. I never even tried it. It was noticeably heaver as well.
    2018 Phoenix 920 / Mercury 250R

Quote Originally Posted by jphillips2546 View Post
    The shape is different in a big way. The design is such that unless its set really high, it will likely have a large drag in the water compared to the TM. I was surprised to see just how big the SM was mounted on the motor compared to the TM. Perhaps someone with more experience with the SM can chime in. I never even tried it. It was noticeably heaver as well.
    Agree on both points. It is MUCH larger. When ran on most bass boats that are designed to run the LU down in the water column, compared to the few performance brands, it has much more hydro drag and thus hurts the speed.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaPhoenix View Post
    This may be a dumb question but what is it about the sportmaster that causes it to hurt the performance on a normal bass boat vs putting it on an allison or similar type boat. I spoke with my mercury dealer today about it and he looked up the specs on the 250R with a sportmaster vs the 250 pro xs 4S with a torquemaster and the gearing is the exact same with the low water pickup being the only difference in the two.
    The design of where the gearcase is meant to run in terms of engine height. The Sportmaster was designed as a SURFACING gearcase, normally run considerably higher than the other gearcase models.

Heavier boats benefit from the additional lift and bite that's available from the G2 Torquemaster, 5.44", or 4.8".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12