Falcon Rod Recommendation Help Me Out

Hey guys looking for a new Jig/Texas Rig rod mainly 3/8-1/2oz flipping bushes and cypress. Going to be my first higher end rod. Have a few Amistads in the Lowrider 20's but really wanting to get an Expert or Cara. Has anyone used the new Expert? I know Falcon seems to be a little lighter in tip than others so what could y'all recommend? Wish there was an XF option. Can anyone speak for the Experts or Caras being faster in tip than the other models like the Lowrider 20?

Interested In:

6'10" Froggin/Pitchin
    7'3' Amistad
    7'4" Amistad XH (thinking XH might be a little quicker tip)

Thanks for the help!

2. Member
    Cara Head Turner. But the rod that's the most versatile of all in my opinion is the Lizzard Dragger I and heavier stuff the Lizzard Dragger II.

I agree with the Lizard Dragger. They call it a heavy power, but I think it's more of a MH--but 1/2 oz is definitely its sweet spot. I LOVE this rod. Lighter flipping, it's definitely a winner. Heavier stuff, I'd go up to an Amistad.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

By the way, welcome to the boards!
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

5. Member
    Thanks guys, and thanks for the welcoming. Unfortunately they do not make the lizard dragger anymore or the Cara at the moment Expert only according to Falcon as of today when I talked with them.

6. Member
    Yes I saw Tackle Warehouse was out of all Cara's. Sad deal --must be waiting on the boat from China.

7. Member
    I've mentioned this on a couple other Falcon threads but the factory here in town that is supposed to make Caras told me a few weeks back that they were making an order for 200 Caras and they figured that was it and they'd be going to China. A couple weeks later they get an order for 400 so they're not even sure what is going to happen.

8. Member
    I have the lowrider 20 heavy cover jig but probably can't find any more. Theirs a Cara version as well. My friend bought the expert 8' and it's a nice light blank and feels good I have yet to catch a fish on it.

9. Member
    Thanks for the input man. Saw the Lowrider 20's are on sale at americanfishinglegacy.com for $89

QUOTE=skeeter21ohio;10264960]I have the lowrider 20 heavy cover jig but probably can't find any more. Theirs a Cara version as well. My friend bought the expert 8' and it's a nice light blank and feels good I have yet to catch a fish on it.[/QUOTE]

10. Member
    The pro grass for 89 handles heavier lures but don't have quite the tip as heavy cover.

11. Member
    All I fish is Falcon, and there is not a better rod on the planet that the cara Amistad, IMO. The head turner may be a little more what you are looking for, its only 6'10, but is an excellent dock skipping rod as well. Agree with others, the lizard dragger is a good all around rod, but I fish larger than average baits most of the time, and the Amistad is my go to. They have a swimbait rod that is about identical to the Amistad, I haven't found much difference and use it for flipppin and pitchin around as well. Another one that they have is a finesse jig rod. It would work good for what you are doing as well. Their swimjig rod is another great all around rod for chatterbaits, small cranks (dt-6) and spinnerbaits as well. The other that I love that has many uses is the deep cranker. The one thing it is NOT is a deep cranker though!! LOL, its great for spinnerbaits (1/2-3/4 oz), mid size cranks (dt-16, 6xd etc), squarebills, chatterbaits, an some topwaters as well. The only thing I don't use a Falcon for is punching, I haven't found a rod in the line up that I just love for that. Sorry I got a little long winded, but hope it helps!

12. Member
    I have several lizard draggers that I may be willing to part with if that shat you decide on. Send me a message and we may can work something out, I have both models and could probably stand to get rid of a rod or two, I have a tackle addiction problem like everyone else!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix5252 View Post
    All I fish is Falcon, and there is not a better rod on the planet that the cara Amistad, IMO. The head turner may be a little more what you are looking for, its only 6'10, but is an excellent dock skipping rod as well. Agree with others, the lizard dragger is a good all around rod, but I fish larger than average baits most of the time, and the Amistad is my go to. They have a swimbait rod that is about identical to the Amistad, I haven't found much difference and use it for flipppin and pitchin around as well. Another one that they have is a finesse jig rod. It would work good for what you are doing as well. Their swimjig rod is another great all around rod for chatterbaits, small cranks (dt-6) and spinnerbaits as well. The other that I love that has many uses is the deep cranker. The one thing it is NOT is a deep cranker though!! LOL, its great for spinnerbaits (1/2-3/4 oz), mid size cranks (dt-16, 6xd etc), squarebills, chatterbaits, an some topwaters as well. The only thing I don't use a Falcon for is punching, I haven't found a rod in the line up that I just love for that. Sorry I got a little long winded, but hope it helps!
    I wish they still made the El Toro. I never had one but held a few, it was literally a broom stick!!. Ever rod in my boat is a Cara except for a Hammer and an Expride. I just caught the Loomis bug and have three NRX and one GLX.

14. Member
    I think the Amistad would fit your needs well. The Headturner is a great rod but IMO starts to feel under powered at 1/2 oz. Another option would be the Jason Christie Frog Rod, I have heard Jason wanted a rod that fished like the Amistad but was a little shorter, I think that is a good description of the Frog Rods characteristics.