Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

200K, best thing to do short term ( 5 years max ).

Need to be secure and have access to it if need be with minimal hit. Only thing Ive come up with is 5 year cd at 3.50 %. I'm ok with that but if i could do better without risk i would.

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I think thats it for no risk.
    Thanos was the hero

Kind of what i figured but thought i would ask. thanks

4. Member
    That sounds like best plan unless you need to tap it within 5 years.

I figured after 5 years i would pull 50 out with the interest accrued and re invest the rest and keep that up every 5 years until i pass or its depleted. Im 67 now with good health and good family history but you never know. Looks like if i needed it early ill get dinged on the interest but not the principal.

6. Member
    Bitcoin! Get out the day you hit the return you want. It will gonpast previuos all time highs of 20k

7. Member
    Sorry for spelling errors...

I have a nephew thats into that. Ill ask him about it. Thanks

9. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfiat View Post

I hope you're not serious.
    Thanos was the hero

10. Member
    Boneli, you need to do some research on all crypto including bitcoin. It’s here to stay and will be all portfolios world wide in the next couple years if not sooner.

11. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Grod, I did do the research, and was a crypto bull, but as I traded it, I kept researching and when my questions couldn't be answered, and bullish reasons kept blowing up, I ditched it.
    Thanos was the hero

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfiat View Post
    Don't invest in bitcoin, at your age you are on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Don't invest in bitcoin, at your age you are on the right track.
    Thanks. After looking at it it didn't take long to see it wasn't going to work for me at this point.

14. Member
    Rather bitcoin is 3k or 15k, it isn’t gonna matter in 3-5 years... and a few other crypto’s, but obviously bitcoin is the big piece of the pie.

15. Member
    We can revisit this post on a few years.... lol

16. Member
    If you would have invested in bitcoin 19 days ago, and pulled out today... you’d be sitting on 240k. Do the maths in .035 percent interest and let me know when 200k equals 240k. Bitcoin is here to stay. Just like stocks, you don’t sale when low and buy high... will go through ups and downs.

17. Member
    1 bitcoin over 11k now! New highs to come before 2020!

18. Member
    Suggesting Bitcoin to a guy looking to put 200k into a safe investment for 5 years is incredibly ignorant and shows just how clueless someone is about the whole thing. (And I've been involved in Crypto since 2013 when BTC was $140.) Could it make him/you a lot of money? Sure. But that's not the point. You are highly underestimating the risk. But, as many times before, ignorance is bliss and you will probably get paid off.

19. Member
    Smartest thing would be to put 100k in your emergency fund account drawing low interest and ladder your CD's at 20k increments with the other 100k, if you're set on CD's. That way you have immediate access to 100k with no penalty at all. Then if needed, you can tap individual CD's if you needed more than 100k.

The mere fact you mentioned you are concerned about needing the money before 5 years and that you want a 5 year max says you probably value this money and are seeing something on the horizon where you may need it. This would tell me you should have it in something very safe and not using it to grow at risk....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

20. Member
    You could also ladder some of this into short term treasuries ranging from 1 month to 5 years. You would just need to figure out how you want to ladder it. If you needed funds the short term ones would roll off giving you cash. It is not going to make you a lot of cash but it will be safe and provide short term liquidity depending on how you choose to ladder. You could keep a good amount in short term treasuries and have it roll off sooner but if the interest rates drop you will be reinvesting at lower rates. Go longer you lock in higher rates but have less liquidity but may be able to sell the bonds for a profit if yields drop. Never an easy answer without a crystal ball but cd's and treasuries are the safer bets. Equities and anything speculative in a 5 year time horizon is always a huge risk if you think you would need to sell for cash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast