Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vacation from Texas opinions

Thought I'd post here and see if I could get some suggestions from anyone. I am looking to drag my rig up from Texas in late July/August/early September for a week or so. I was fortunate enough to spend my 40th birthday whacking largemouth on Falcon in 2009 and thought I'd spend the big 5-0 trying to catch some big smallmouth. Just about every detail is wide open at this point- sixty day window, location, lodging, etc. Very appreciative of any help offered.
    2014 920/SHO

2. Member
    That is a very open ended question, as there are hundreds of good lakes and resorts.

I can only speak from my experience. My parents and I go to Cragun's on Gull Lake every year week after Labor Day. Rates are good (for Cragun's, not the cheapest of places) and we rent out a cabin on the beach. It is nice, a lot to do around there and excellent golf :) So we fish in the mornings, golf in the afternoon, and maybe fish again.

3. Member
    You are correct, it was too open ended. I am not looking for anything but the opportunity to catch quality smallmouth with a better than average chance to catch a trophy. It will be nothing but hardcore fishing with breaks to eat and sleep. Mille Lacs was my initial thought, but don't know if that's the best opportunity now.
    2014 920/SHO

Quote Originally Posted by txbass1 View Post
    You are correct, it was too open ended. I am not looking for anything but the opportunity to catch quality smallmouth with a better than average chance to catch a trophy. It will be nothing but hardcore fishing with breaks to eat and sleep. Mille Lacs was my initial thought, but don't know if that's the best opportunity now.
    I have no suggestions, but I just wanted to say I hope you're doing ok with all of the rain down there. I was born and raised in Conroe.

Good luck with planning your trip.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

5. Banned
    The burbs of Houston are great. But it is a long way from many great fishing lakes. Good luck finding something close to you. I'm sure Lousiana has many fine fishing villages.

6. Member
    We drive up every year from Oklahoma, but we go in June. Last 7 years went to Lake Vermillion, and this year we are going to Rainy Lake. Lake Vermilion is big in size but not big water. We catch lot's of smallmouth, pike, walleye and and occasional Muskie. We have 8 in our group and we rent a house on the water and leave our boat in. A great trip to catch 40 or 50 smallies a day. Let me know if you want additional info.
    Scott Smith
    Blanchard, OK
    2014 FX 20 Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hez View Post
    I have no suggestions, but I just wanted to say I hope you're doing ok with all of the rain down there. I was born and raised in Conroe.

Good luck with planning your trip.
    Thank you. We are gtg here. Tuesday it took me 8.5 hours to travel 15 total miles to get my family of six home, but it was just an inconvenience. Many lost all they had.
    2014 920/SHO

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    The burbs of Houston are great. But it is a long way from many great fishing lakes. Good luck finding something close to you. I'm sure Lousiana has many fine fishing villages.
    2 hours from one of the best lakes in the country. I just want to catch some big smallmouth.
    2014 920/SHO

9. Member
    Thought I'd post here and see if I could get some suggestions from anyone. I am looking to drag my rig up from Texas in late July/August/early September for a week or so. I was fortunate enough to spend my 40th birthday whacking largemouth on Falcon in 2009 and thought I'd spend the big 5-0 trying to catch some big smallmouth. Just about every detail is wide open at this point- sixty day window, location, lodging, etc. Very appreciative of any help offered.

The Vermilion area is a great place to start. Vermilion itself is gorgeous, has endless angling opportunities but plenty of protected areas should the wind kick up. Not far from the big V is Pelican Lake in Orr, and the Ely area has so many lakes you'd need a decade worth of vacation time to fish them all. A little jog north of Vermilion is Crane, Kabetogama, and Rainy. Lots of resorts up there that cater to fisherman.

If I were taking a week of vacation and wanted to do some hardcore fishing, I'd look at the Cook or Orr area as a basecamp and trailer to the aforementioned lakes. If you were looking for something relaxing, then you won't be disappointed with some of the fine resorts available.

10. Member
    If you want big ones...go farther east. Sturgeon Bay would be and option. Mille Lacs is your best bet in MN for big fish. By late summer though, they'll be plenty worked over and not necessarily easy to catch.

Thank you. We are gtg here. Tuesday it took me 8.5 hours to travel 15 total miles to get my family of six home, but it was just an inconvenience. Many lost all they had.
    Yeah...it's a mess down there. I was there for the flood in '94...left in 2011....so I've been through a couple there...but all of the development has really done a number on the flooding issues. Glad to hear your safe.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    If you want big ones...go farther east. Sturgeon Bay would be and option. Mille Lacs is your best bet in MN for big fish. By late summer though, they'll be plenty worked over and not necessarily easy to catch.
    Agreed, there are plenty of lakes in MN that you can catch 50-100 SM in a day. Not to say that a good number won't be good fish(18"+). But to have a real chance at a really big fish, go a little earlier and to Mille Lacs. The best chance for big fish will be further east. Green Bay, Sturgeon Bay, St Clair, or Erie.

If you want a vacation with plenty of action and good size fish with some of the most beautiful scenery there is, listen to any of the advice above.

13. Member
    Vermillion is great, one of the most beautiful lakes to fish in my opinion and you WILL catch smallmouth. You might not find the size you are looking for though. Mille Lacs has the size but it can be a serious grind finding them these days. Once Bassmaster tagged it as the best smallmouth fishery its gotten hammered and the DNR only cares about the walleye in that lake. Not smallmouth. You can also find some great smallmouth just west of the twin cities on Lake Washington/Stella. It's definitely not a vacation spot though.

I hate to send someone over to Packer Land but Green Bay would probably get you closest to what you are looking for.

Canadian side of Rainy or Lake of the Woods is where I would head.

Mille Lacs is your best bet for a big one in MN, but it can get tough that time of year. It's a huge lake, but it fishes small and it's one of the few lakes in the state that gets meaningful pressure since the Elite Series visited. The other issue is if the wind blows it can be difficult to get out of it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

15. Member
    Had some great ones out of Rainey,Namakan, Crane.. The chain gives you lots of options to fish.. Northern MN is rock country so be aware they can be hard on lower units and fiberglass.. I have been happy with navionics maps to keep me off the rocks.

16. Member
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, folks. I truly appreciate it. Still trying to decide, but will post an update when firmed up and another after the trip.
    2014 920/SHO

17. Member
    Ever since Mille lacs was hit by the bass master elite series ever bass fisherman is out trying to catch a trophy. Yes there is a lot of quality smallmouth and certainly a trophy to be had. That being said Mille lacs lake used to be known for its walleye fishing. It has since been changed to not allow anglers to keep walleyes which means more bass fisherman fishing smallmouth and the guide services and resorts offering smallmouth fishing to stay afloat all summer. So as was mentioned by August every fish in that lake has been caught or seen a bait making it harder to catch a trophy. Still a Great Lake but if your after a trophy sturgeon bay Wisconsin is a better bet. I love fishing woman lake which is near walker,Mn great smallmouth lake with a lot of quality fish and only about 20 minutes from one of our bigger lakes leech lake. Leech lake has a ton of resorts to stay at that would be decently priced. Also the fishing is top notch all year round. Minnesota has a ton of bass large and smallmouth a plenty. Once you decide where your headed we can probably give you a better idea of what lakes to try within 30 mins from wherever you stay.

18. Member
    I'd go to Wisconsin and fish nothing but small lakes, have a friend that's been doing this for years.

I have to put in a plug for Northwestern Lower Peninsula Michigan Traverse City area. Very pleasant summer weather and smallmouth everywhere. We don't get the big crowds like St Claire.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Vermillion would be my top choice to spend a week for Smallies, also good largies, musky & walleye that you will catch while fishing for smallies, you can catch them shallow or deep there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast