comparing old GLX vs new GLX

I have a GLX 844C MBR that is probably at least 15 years old. It has the Weibe reel seat on it. I bought it used, so I'm not sure how long ago they moved away from that reel seat, but I know it's been a while. Anyway, I'm considering purchasing a new GLX 844C MBR. Other than the reel seat, can anyone tell me how the rods compare? I know the new model is a full cork handle just like the old, but with advances in rod technology and guides, can I expect the new rod to be lighter...crisper...more sensitive? Is the action and taper of the rod likely to feel the same? Thanks

2. Member
    I never had one of the originals but I have a new one that has been sitting here in my office for a couple of weeks that I have not had the chance to use. It was recommended on here for my intended applications over the NRX, as they only come in JWR models, so I am anxious to try it out paired with a Shimano Bantam MGL. Not sure when I will be able to test it between my work schedule and our lakes being flooded. Sorry I can't be of any help but I will be following this thread to see what others say about the new ones. I have a NRX 853c, 894c, and a 872s and love them but wanted something other than a bottom bouncer rod.

I'm in the same boat as you. Got the same GLX MBR 844 with Weibe handle. Great rod, but I haven't got my hands on a new GLX yet. I'll be following this thread as well.

4. Member
    The new GLX's are great now. I wasn't impressed with the green painted blanks they had for a few years.

5. Member
    Is the grip comfortable on the new glx models?

6. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    The new GLX's are great now. I wasn't impressed with the green painted blanks they had for a few years.
    I'm with you. I liked the original GLX rods. I have several and have parted with several which I regret. I tried 2 of the green models with split grips and sold them quickly. The new style seems a lot better than the green blanks. I have an MBR842C and the spinning model (SJR842). Like them both a lot but wish the handle was a tad shorter on the casting rod since I use it for jerk baits and topwater and it gets caught in my sleeves on cold days.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    Is the grip comfortable on the new glx models?
    I don't have any new MBR's, but a few FPR's...and I really like them. Much more than the new style handle on the IMX Pro MBR's.

I have a newer model 842 MBR and its one of my favorites and the reel seat is excellent.

9. Member
    Huge fan of the new MBR GLX Rods. Simply versatile and great performers!

10. Member
    I have a couple of the newer model GLX. I have a 783 and a 843. Has been a long time since I have had my hands on a older model. I do remember them being great at the time. That being said I really like the new model.

11. Member
    I prefer the old model. Owned multiple 842's, 843's and 844's. Some with the Weibe seat, some with fuji ecs seat. Only owned the new 843 glx for a season. Although the reel seat was an improvement over nrx (for me anyways), it was still uncomfortable over the course of a day.
    That's the main reason why I prefer the old model. Since I didn't fish them side by side, I couldn't tell you which was more sensitive, but they are both sensitive enough. They seemed to have the same taper, no difference in power. It's supposed to be slightly lighter. The new model will probably feel more crisp and responsive due to the fact that your rod is 15 years old and the lighter guides (I'm assuming your rod has the old heavier pac bay guides, although some of the Weibe rods came with fuji guides).

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogrich31 View Post
    I prefer the old model. Owned multiple 842's, 843's and 844's. Some with the Weibe seat, some with fuji ecs seat. Only owned the new 843 glx for a season. Although the reel seat was an improvement over nrx (for me anyways), it was still uncomfortable over the course of a day.
    That's the main reason why I prefer the old model. Since I didn't fish them side by side, I couldn't tell you which was more sensitive, but they are both sensitive enough. They seemed to have the same taper, no difference in power. It's supposed to be slightly lighter. The new model will probably feel more crisp and responsive due to the fact that your rod is 15 years old and the lighter guides (I'm assuming your rod has the old heavier pac bay guides, although some of the Weibe rods came with fuji guides).
    Thanks for the response. I'm on the fence because I've heard several people mention that they don't like the reel seats on the new GLX rods. I think I'll have to visit a retail store that has them and just try holding one first before I make a choice. I don't want to buy a rod and then find I hate the ergonomics of the reel seat. I do agree that the new GLX's would almost certainly be lighter and crisper due to lighter guides and the rod simply being new. Again, thanks for the input.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Thanks for the response. I'm on the fence because I've heard several people mention that they don't like the reel seats on the new GLX rods. I think I'll have to visit a retail store that has them and just try holding one first before I make a choice. I don't want to buy a rod and then find I hate the ergonomics of the reel seat. I do agree that the new GLX's would almost certainly be lighter and crisper due to lighter guides and the rod simply being new. Again, thanks for the input.
    I just got a NRX 894 and I hold my rods with all fingers in front of the handle with my thumb on the top of the reel and index finger below the line. I caught some fish the other day and every one made the line cut my index finger. That's never been a problem with my Falcon Cara rods.

14. Member
    Bringing this back up. I've been a Falcon guy since my late teens but have ventured to the Loomis side lately. I have 3 NRX rods and a GLX 844mbr. I love my NRX rods but I remember being a kid and seeing the GLX in BPS catalog back around 1998 and just drooled over them. Now I finally have one although not the same as 1998 but I finally have a GLX and just holding it in my hand puts a smile on my face although so do the NRX

15. Member
    I have the BCR 803 GLX first edition or whatever you want to call the long discontinued and new model GLX 844 MBR. I much prefer the newer model. It just fishes better. Sensitivity is maybe a little better on the 803 but not overly noticeable

16. Member
    The newer GLX are great rods. I like the full handle FPR’s and MBR’s personally. For technique specific, I put the new IMX Pro 884 frog rod to work this past week. Technique specific those rods are ideal.
    2019 Ranger Z520L Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke