Lower Unit Grenaded

Like the title says. I was just moving to another fishing spot, tucked the motor, hit the gas to get on plane and just as the bow was leveling out BOOM! Sounded like someone threw a handful of nuts into the lower unit.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

Hope it’s under warranty!!

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

damn !
    721 ​ProXp

4. Banned
    I never got any pressure or vacuum test on my lower unit. Come to think of it, I seldom changed the l/u fluid, either. After 28 years on that 115 hp Yamaha 2 stroke, the lower unit expired.

Had to spend $40K to get a new F150 and boat to go along with it. I've learned my lesson to ignore the lower unit.

Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    Hope it’s under warranty!!
    It's not under warranty but I do have a mechanical breakdown rider on my insurance policy so it's covered! It covers any mechanical breakdown (less a deductable)...motor blows up - it's covered.

Thanks to Bob Luellen at Worldwide Marine Insurance for taking care of my boating insurance needs. If it weren't for Bob I would probably have marine insurance issued by my auto agent that doesn't know squat about marine insurance and I would probably not have most of the coverage that I currently have. If you guys aren't using Bob for your marine insurance agent you should give him a look.

http://worldwidemarineins.com

6. Member
    Who was the policy thru?

Travelers Agreed value policy + a couple of riders he knows we need. Now if I ever fail to renew on time I’ll never get that policy again for this boat. A new boat you’ll get it all day (I think, call Bob) But I’m telling you, Bob knows his stuff + he’s a walleye Tournament fisherman so he knows what coverage we need. Good...no great service!!

8. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by TX721 View Post
    Travelers Agreed value policy + a couple of riders he knows we need. Now if I ever fail to renew on time I’ll never get that policy again for this boat. A new boat you’ll get it all day (I think, call Bob) But I’m telling you, Bob knows his stuff + he’s a walleye Tournament fisherman so he knows what coverage we need. Good...no great service!!
    This!

I also go through Bob at World Wide Marine and travelers.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX721 View Post
    That's awesome. I have the same carrier thru Bob. Lol Just wondering if you had the same. Yes, Bob knows his stuff and takes care of us. I recommend him highly

10. Member
    Great news on the coverage! That's the reason I use Bob as well - and I have the same policy from Travelers. If people aren't using him, they may be surprised when something like this happens.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186