Thread: Old Gas?

Old Gas?

I am beginning to recondition a boat that has been sitting for a couple of years unused, since the fall of 2017... and was wondering what I could do with the 1/2 tank of fuel. I know it's 100% gas (no ethanol) but I don't think it was treated with Stabil or anything before it was put up for the winter 2017. I can't put it in the truck because it's mixed with 2 stroke oil, I would say it's about 10 gallons or so, I think too much to put in an old can and just use to burn mulch etc. Is there a place that will accept old gas if I siphon it out? Do you guys think this gas might still be good? Advice is appreciated.

2. Member
    I just started working on a boat that hadn't been used in 11 yrs. Garaged, and the fuel was stabilized 11 yrs ago. Gas looks and smells fine, BUT every situation and environment is different. Different climate, humidity, stored outside, rain leaks, etc. If your fuel has phase separated, or if there's water in it, there's nothing you can do but dump it. Know anyone with a vintage car? They can burn two-stroke and it's no biggie.

If you say it was premixed with oil, I'd be inclined to get as much out as possible. In the two-stroke dirt bike world they always caution not to use mixed fuel after a week or so, but in my old boats, it's never caused a problem, that I know. Check with your city or county hazardous waste department about dumping it.
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686

Had this same problem. I called the fire department; they said they would not take it and there was no place they knew of that would, then warned me not to dispose of it by burning or using as grass killer. I didn't want a flammable fluid just sitting in a can forever in my shop, so I burned it in my truck. I've always burned the mixed fuel from my 2-stroke boat in my truck (late model fuel injected) without any issues and although I was a little nervous about the old gas it worked just fine. I added a couple of gallons each time I filled up over a couple of weeks and got rid of it all. I did not like doing it this way, as it seemed stupid to chance putting bad gas in my pickup just to get rid of the stuff, but I couldn't find anything else to do with it.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

4. Banned
    If it was me and the gas hasn't phase separated I'd put a couple gallon in my truck every so often until it gone... If it has seperated just burn it... Dan

5. Banned
    I just did this, HF has a pump for 7.00 that worked awesome. I filled up the lawn mower and PW with it.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I've been away for a few weeks and just now getting back to this. So you're saying it might be okay to use the old 2 stroke gas in my mower and truck?
    I guess I just assumed 2 stroke fuel couldn't be used in a 4 stroke engine

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I've been away for a few weeks and just now getting back to this. So you're saying it might be okay to use the old 2 stroke gas in my mower and truck?
    I guess I just assumed 2 stroke fuel couldn't be used in a 4 stroke engine
    Is the fuel mixed with oil or did the motor have oil injection?