EXPERTS!! Battery/charger/invertor/charger wiring questions!

Ok, so I really could use some advice, as the internet isn't giving me good ideas!

Not for my bass boat, sorry.

My new to me 1990 Larson 25foot cabin cruiser...single 454 V8 motor.
    Here is what I know...

Has two 12v cranking batteries and a selector switch and a charger (Charles electronic marine charger) powered by the 120v shore power.

I assume the boat does not have an inverter? Meaning that when unplugged from shore, there is only 12v available?

So I have spoke to a solar panel guy about a 135W portable solar system for the boat.

I want to then add two 6V golf cart batteries and have them run the 12V in the boat and have them run an inverter? I only have a 120v/12v fridge and stereo and lights....

This would leave the 2x 12V crankers on a battery switch and connect ONLY to the motor (alternator) for charging (removed from the onboard charger). I could switch back and forth between these two for engine starting duties...

The 2x 6V would be charged by the solar, and the onboard charger when connected to shore power...

BUT, Also, can I add a 3 bank battery isolator so the motor can charge all 4 batteries?

Do I make sense?!

Thanks!
    04 Triton TR21X, 23 SHO NIZPRO'd!!!
    27p Croxton Razor 4

old rigs
    95 BassCat Pantera II, 200 XRi Merc

97 Skeeter ZX185c
    97 ProV150--KOTTMANIZED! 27M

2. Member
    Like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    27p Croxton Razor 4

old rigs

97 Skeeter ZX185c

3. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Certainly not an expert on big vessel power mangagment. A 135 watt solar panel will not equate to a 135 watt power source....may average < 3 to 5 amps output at 13.5 Volts over a 24 hour mostly cloudy wintertime day.

I might would look into passing on the solar for now with having the V8 available, installing an RV/yacht 4 battery/inverter managed system and running the engines high output alternator if and when needed.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 05-10-2019 at 11:51 AM.

4. Member
    You should figure out your power demands and what you are trying to power of the inverter. Then you can see if solar would be beneficial and cost effective for your needs. Alternator power is a whole different subject that if not done right will not meet your needs unless you plan to motor a lot.

5. Member
    A 135 watt panel does not amount.to much. Like was stated, find out the draw first. You may be surprised on that 12v/120v fridge. A simple solenoid would allow you to automatically charge the house batteries along with the crankers. How long will you be stopped? under way? Plugged in at a dock or not. As was stated the alternator will make a mockery of panels. Add another alternator for what the panels and controller will cost. BUT that only works with the engine running. Soooomore info is needed to give you a good estimate of what will work for you. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

6. Member
    A Combiner100 (http://www.yandina.com/c100InfoR3.htm) will take care of charging your new battery from which ever alternator (or BOTH) is selected and from shore power.

As stated by others, it is highly unlikely that a 135 watt solar collector will be sufficient to run an inverter or a 12 volt frig.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann-Marie View Post
    A Combiner100 (http://www.yandina.com/c100InfoR3.htm) will take care of charging your new battery from which ever alternator (or BOTH) is selected and from shore power.

As stated by others, it is highly unlikely that a 135 watt solar collector will be sufficient to run an inverter or a 12 volt frig.
    I will call Yandina on Monday, thanks!

135w solar is plenty to keep two 6V Golf Cart batteries going. Those batteries would run an inverter and the 12V of the cabin... Fridges, these small boat ones, might draw at most 200 amps when hooked to 120V.
    27p Croxton Razor 4

old rigs

97 Skeeter ZX185c

8. Member
    A small frig draws 6 amps on 12 volts. With a duty cycle of 20% once the frig is cold the average current draw is 1.2 amps.
    A new 135W solar panel puts out 10 amps when pointing directly at the sun in mid summer.
    Since the sun is only at the productive angle for about 15% of the time, you can expect an average of 1.5 amps average in good weather in summer with no shadows on the panel.

That doesn't leave anything for the inverter :(

9. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by 87gtNOS View Post
    I will call Yandina on Monday...
    You already did speak with Yandina .....Ann-Marie.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    You already did speak with Yandina .....Ann-Marie.
    OH THANKS!! Still need to call her!!
    27p Croxton Razor 4

old rigs

97 Skeeter ZX185c

11. Member
    Combiner 200 ordered! Thanks Ann-Marie!
    27p Croxton Razor 4

old rigs