Brand New Ultrex, Is This A Problem

Just got it today putting it on and noticed this. Obviously it’s not supposed to look like that, but is it a problem or can I go ahead and finish installing it.

If it were me, I would get on the phone and call the Minn Kota dealer you purchased this from and strongly ask for a new one. I would not finish the install and leave in the original packaging.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

3. Member
    Don't accept it! Get a prepaid shipping label and tell them to send a new one. If they don't agree stop your payment. That could very well leak.

4. Member
    Styrofoam packing? Thought they all came in a plain cardboard box.

I'm sure an ASC will be here shortly --
    From what I can see I don't think it's damaged bad enough to leak.

Styrofoam packing? Thought they all came in a plain cardboard box
    I figure they have had so many dropped and damaged especially on the heavy end-- they had to do something to help protect the motor.
    99% of those loose skegs and leaking motors were from being dropped.

My 2 cents, if I paid that much for anything, I would be getting a replacement

7. Member
    FF,You right on with the packing comments. Exactly how my Ulterra arrived(skeg crooked an obviously banged on motor end of the box) I straightened and tightened before use. Over a year in with no problems. Bob

8. Member
    I would bring it as soon as possible to an ASC. Do not install. It was damaged in shipment. Make sure you bring proof of purchase

9. Member
    Thanks guys. I've been in touch with the dealer I purchased from today and he is taking care of it.

10. Member
    I just bought mine 2 weeks ago and it had sttrofoam inserts in the box. No skeg issues.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

11. Member
    Styrofoam must be new. We've installed several in past couple of weeks that were packed with cardboard. As to the OP. It is not a problem. The shaft and motor are bonded together at MinnKota. Even when you break a shaft, the new shaft comes pre bonded to the motor center section or motor, whichever is ordered by the ASC. There is a small hole in the side of the motor bunge where you can see the sealant/bonding agent were injected into the area. That is just some overrun from injection.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Styrofoam must be new. We've installed several in past couple of weeks that were packed with cardboard. As to the OP. It is not a problem. The shaft and motor are bonded together at MinnKota. Even when you break a shaft, the new shaft comes pre bonded to the motor center section or motor, whichever is ordered by the ASC. There is a small hole in the side of the motor bunge where you can see the sealant/bonding agent were injected into the area. That is just some overrun from injection.
    John

Doesnt look like sealent to me. Looks like the plastic washer/cap whatever it is on the shaft is all chewed up.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Doesnt look like sealent to me. Looks like the plastic washer/cap whatever it is on the shaft is all chewed up.
    There is no plastic washer/cap on the shaft. It goes directly into the motor and is injected with a bonding agent/sealant. That is where it ran out the top.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    There is no plastic washer/cap on the shaft. It goes directly into the motor and is injected with a bonding agent/sealant. That is where it ran out the top.
    There is on the Ops photo and on my Ultrex. See the picture I cropped and marked. The arrow points to the black plastic part. It’s not sealent leaking out. It’s the plastic part and it looks melted. There may be sealent visible to the left of where the damage is but the melted looking part I circled is clearly the plastic ring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Member
    There is on the Ops photo and on my Ultrex. See the picture I cropped and marked. The arrow points to the black plastic part. It’s not sealent leaking out. It’s the plastic part and it looks melted. There may be sealent visible to the left of where the damage is but the melted looking part I circled is clearly the plastic ring.
    That plastic ring that you're seeing goes down into the motor shaft and you see the "lip". Again, it is part of the sealing/bonding process
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

16. Member
    Well, even if it is sealant, the value of the motor is now probably lowered, if he goes to sell it, the potential buyer may chill looking at that part.

17. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    I’m easy, but couldn’t accept that, really sucks.

That's exactly what I saw the first time. Not overrun
    Like I stated in first response I don't THINK it's damaged to the point of leaking , but it dang sure took a pretty good lick to damage that piece.
    If the box was damaged in that area I would say it happened in shipping.. If not it happened prior to packaging .