Page 18 of 107 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
  1. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MMyles View Post
    Thank you for the reply.

My initial plan was to purchase 1 IONIC 125AH and run my graphs off of this one Lithium battery while retaining my 4 AGM batteries to operate all other accessories and trolling motor. However, my graphs are not wired directly to my current starting battery. So to use my graphs off of the IONIC battery, I would need to run wires to the front of the boat and to the helm. This does not sound fun to me.

I am now leaning towards replacing my four 80 pound AGM batteries with five 125AH IONIC batteries so that everything matches. My fear is the jump switch, and having AGM batteries.

So my next question is, if I do purchase 4 more IONIC 125AH batteries (3 for trolling motor and 2 in parallel for cranking & accessories) Is it as simple as unhooking the current wires on my AGM batteries and hooking up the IONIC batteries? And then of course add the parallel Positive & Negative wires to the 2 batteries..?? I understand I should have the Dual Pro Charger reprogramed for the IONIC's, and that the 2 in parallel would take a bit longer to charge.

The weight savings removing 4 AGM batteries sounds very appealing to me.

YES, as long at you have 3/8 eyelets on your cables, if not see the previous post from yesterday
    that would be one awesome setup and you could fish for days if you wanted to.

Thank you in advance.

M
    YES, as long at you have 3/8 eyelets on your cables, if not see the previous post from yesterday
    that would be one awesome setup and you could fish for days if you wanted to.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    yes, I have a friend running them and there are a few more who recently bought some.

still I would have to consider the conditions and your fishing style, the 50s will may work for anyone but for some they may be drained more than others, although you can run them to they quit without harm , staying above 50% will increase the life cycles of a lithium battery
    What has been the experience of your friend running this setup? Run times, how much charge is left afterwards, etc? I’ve got a 24v Terrova and was wondering the same thing about the 50’s

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger MN View Post
    What has been the experience of your friend running this setup? Run times, how much charge is left afterwards, etc? I’ve got a 24v Terrova and was wondering the same thing about the 50’s
    he was killing bluetops in 6 to 7 hours, in a full 8-9 hr tournament the lithium's have been around 50% sometimes just under, 40% once and he said he stayed on the petal all day
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    MMyles, Yes they will charge and balance. Its a good feature of the Battery Management Board. It will handle it and the Dual Pro charger is fine. Keep a check on the Bluetooth so you will know the SOC. It will take a longer charge time if you really use them to their capacity. I run 2 12" Carbons and livewell runs on high all day 8-10 hours and I never have seen my 125 IONIC below 50%, but that is how I use them and fish. You may have more electronic equipment, so just keep a check and see. The Bluetooth App will help you decide if you need to add that second battery. I recommend you check your useage prior to purchasing the second battery, The IONIC Lithium may surprise you, plus may save you some coin.
    i would go this route as well. You can always add another battery and I think you’ll be surprised how much usable energy there is in lithium. Just my opinion. I’m running a 100ah as a cranking/house battery, because I’m no power hog only running 2 HDS 8’s (w/LSS SS) but I so far can’t get it below 97% and it recharges quickly as soon as I run anywhere. Fished Clear lake for 12 hrs on Sat and 6 hours on Sunday without charging and my Ionic was at 99% when I got home. But I wasn’t fishing a tournament just running graphs, but I have no doubt it’s more than enough power for a tournament day.
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    I usually cut a piece if Kydex to fill the gap but the foam should hold them still

another thing I do with all my lithium's is to put a piece of rubber under the batteries for protection against vibration and hard hits in rough water. also help keep them from sliding.

https://www.amazon.com/10t-300-300mm...21-spons&psc=1
    I love the rubber idea. Here's what I did. At Lowe's I found a 4-pack of this foam/rubber type material for about $20. I measured the trays which were 13 inches by 7.5 inches. Then I cut sheets of this material for the floor of the trays. That filled them exactly half way up. Then I cut another group of 13 by 7.5 inch sets of foam, then set a battery (12x6 inches) on it and penciled around it. Then I cut out the center. I learned that the easiest way to do this is place the first full foam in the tray. Then take the 2nd piece (cut around the battery) and pull it up high on the battery since it stretches a little. Place the battery in the tray on top of the first full piece of foam. Strap it in, then push the upper layer down between the battery and tray. They seem really solid now. I hope these photos help make sense of this. These photos are from before I figured out to pull the cored out foam up on the battery, lower it into the tray, then push it down.

IMG_0515.JPGIMG_0516.JPGIMG_0517.JPGIMG_0518.JPGIMG_0514.JPG

6. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toofy View Post
    I love the rubber idea. Here's what I did. At Lowe's I found a 4-pack of this foam/rubber type material for about $20. I measured the trays which were 13 inches by 7.5 inches. Then I cut sheets of this material for the floor of the trays. That filled them exactly half way up. Then I cut another group of 13 by 7.5 inch sets of foam, then set a battery (12x6 inches) on it and penciled around it. Then I cut out the center. I learned that the easiest way to do this is place the first full foam in the tray. Then take the 2nd piece (cut around the battery) and pull it up high on the battery since it stretches a little. Place the battery in the tray on top of the first full piece of foam. Strap it in, then push the upper layer down between the battery and tray. They seem really solid now. I hope these photos help make sense of this. These photos are from before I figured out to pull the cored out foam up on the battery, lower it into the tray, then push it down.
    Nice
    info@drewcraft.com

7. Member
    I just want to clarify how the amount of discharge affects longevity of a LiFePO4 battery. Is it typically considered that 80% discharge/20% remaining is the most they should be discharged to maintain optimal life cycle? (It's the nearly complete opposite for lead acid, right: 20% discharge/80% remaining?) And this is relative to the 3000+ cycle life span most of these are advertised to have?

Also, if my 200hp Yamaha OX66 is supposed to have 512CCA recommended by Yamaha, and the 125Ah is easily cranking Optis, HPDIs and other newer motors, think it's pretty safe to assume it would be perfectly fine on my older motor? Think the 100Ah would do, or too little head room there? Not running a lot of electronics and only 2 pumps on the live well, and the LW would only be used to hold fish for a photo op....no serious plans for tournament fishing in the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by 1bluemcm; 06-25-2019 at 08:45 AM.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

8. Member
    MMyles, The IONIC will connect exactly as your AGMs. You are correct in the Parallel connection. The parallel IONIC batteries will charge and balance off the one connection.

RangerZ - IONIC Batteries, Lithiumhub.com

9. Member
    MMyles, The IONIC will connect exactly as your AGMs. You are correct in the Parallel connection. The parallel IONIC batteries will charge and balance off the one connection.
    Perfect! Thank you!

M

10. Member
    Place my order last week, now getting all my ducks in a row for when they arrive.....A buddy of mine is a metal fabricator and he is going to make me two battery trays and they will be powder coated as well. One to hold all three 50ah similar to drewtichs photo as well as the the metal clamp to hold all three down utilizing the battery hold down clamps and one to hold the 125ah battery. Cannot wait.
    2020 BassChamps Central Lake Belton 1st - Feb 2
    2019 Media Bass Individual Champion - Richland Chambers Sep 7-8
    2019 CAST Champions - Sam Rayburn Oct 19-20
    2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2

2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS 4 Stroke
    Texas Realtor
    Helping Texans buy and Sell their Homes

11. Member
    I'm on the fence about lithiums. I have a 24v system on a big 19' triton. I fish tournaments but I also fish for up to 12 hours a day. I love fishing slop and pads but I also frequent the great lakes for smallies. I want to maximize my money and length of time that these batteries will last. From what I gather the cycles and DOD determine how long the batteries will last. With that, do you think that getting the 125ah batteries for the trolling motor would be overkill? I run 29 series everstart now and replace them about every 3 years.

12. Member
    Lunkerhunter3, Nothing is overkill on the IONIC Lithium. They will provide all the power you require, just because IONIC Lithium batteries will outlast a AGM or Lead Acid by far, and they will last you more than a AGM or Lead Acid on cycle times, as much as 10 times the cycles of other batteries. In your set-up with the 125AMP IONIC's you could fish litterally for a couple days. You will not replace IONIC in three years guranteed. They have a 5 year warranty to boot. So if that is your requirement you will be greatly surprised at the performance and power of IONIC batteries. This has been stated on this thread , many, many times. You will be satisfied, no doubt.

13. Member
    In regard to use as a starting battery, on one hand there are multiple positive reviews (an none negative that I have found) using the 100Ah and 125 Ah as a starting/cranking/house battery. On the other hand, their specs don't jive with this use, compared to something like a Relion 100Ah that is specifically made for starting, with a much higher, published, discharge amp rating. So that's the only thing holding me back. And I think I'd be fine with the 100Ah Ionic because I have a Yammie EFI motor and really only ever run two graphs. But either way, between the 100Ah or the 125Ah, I wish we had more of a long term report on how they are working for starting. I wonder why Ionic's published discharge amp rating is what it is and yet these seem to work on motors that had a much higher amp draw rating for starting? I need pushed off this fence I'm on.....

14. Member
    I’m more interested in if the 125ah is overkill compared to using the 100ah on the 24v trolling motor. Will the 125ah last longer in terms of years due to not discharging them as deeply compared to the 100ah?

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    In regard to use as a starting battery, on one hand there are multiple positive reviews (an none negative that I have found) using the 100Ah and 125 Ah as a starting/cranking/house battery. On the other hand, their specs don't jive with this use, compared to something like a Relion 100Ah that is specifically made for starting, with a much higher, published, discharge amp rating. So that's the only thing holding me back. And I think I'd be fine with the 100Ah Ionic because I have a Yammie EFI motor and really only ever run two graphs. But either way, between the 100Ah or the 125Ah, I wish we had more of a long term report on how they are working for starting. I wonder why Ionic's published discharge amp rating is what it is and yet these seem to work on motors that had a much higher amp draw rating for starting? I need pushed off this fence I'm on.....

I think the motors required specs are way over stated with a big safety margin, so you can still start with a nearly depleted traditional battery. My 250 Pro XS shows it takes 200 amps to start cold.

16. Member
    How long are you able to crank for with a lithium? Sometimes this old Yammie EFI takes a little bit to get going.

17. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I'm getting real close to making the jump.....

- If one of the 3 lithiums for the TM goes bad, what is the impact of using a regular deep cycle with the other 2 lithiums while I wait for a replacement? I fish 4-5 days a week so more than a few days off the water isn't something I want to do.

- If I were to buy a 4th 50Ah lithium and use it for electronics only (a Helix, a Solix, a 360, network hub) is it safe to assume that I can run my electronics for several 8-10 hour days without needing to charge? This 4th lithium would also be a replacement if one of the trollers went bad and using a regular deep cycle wasn't something one would want to be doing.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

18. Member
    1bluemcm, I have been using the IONIC batteries for my 6th season. I crank a Yamaha 250 SHO. I have used as low as a 80AMP Lithium battery from IONIC to crank this same engine, with no problems. However the way I run my electronics and livewells pulled it down pretty good at the end of the day. It never failed to start my engine. I ran the battery for a year testing. I will remind you a battery will not fix hard to start engines. If your engine is hard to start, then you need to have the engine serviced and the problem corrected. It could lead to an engine componet failure, while on the waters leaving you at risk. The 100AMP IONIC should be fine for that engine, but also consider your other requirements, electronics, live wells and other items you may use. In a case of needing more power then I would recommend the IONIC 125AMP. Hope this helps.

BoatBuggy, If you are planning on running several days without recharging it would be prudent to go with the IONIC 125AMP batteries. As for a IONIC 50AMP for a house battery, I definetly would not recommend the IONIC 50AMP, I would select the IONIC 100AMP for that use. It is far better to have more AMPs than you are consuming. Any lead acid battery will not compare with the IONIC 100AMP or 125AMP batteries. So be wise when you make that jump. Allow a safety net. Hope this helps in your decision to go with IONIC. And remember you can monitor your IONIC batteries with the great IONIC BT App. Something you cannot do with any other battery in the AGM or Lead Acid field. This would give you a great indication of the IONICs SOC, and you will instantly know when charging is required. The IONIC BlueTooth App is a very user friendlly tool. Good fishing.

19. Member
    Yep, very helpful, thanks RangerZ

20. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    BoatBuggy, If you are planning on running several days without recharging it would be prudent to go with the IONIC 125AMP batteries. As for a IONIC 50AMP for a house battery, I definetly would not recommend the IONIC 50AMP, I would select the IONIC 100AMP for that use. It is far better to have more AMPs than you are consuming. Any lead acid battery will not compare with the IONIC 100AMP or 125AMP batteries. So be wise when you make that jump. Allow a safety net. Hope this helps in your decision to go with IONIC. And remember you can monitor your IONIC batteries with the great IONIC BT App. Something you cannot do with any other battery in the AGM or Lead Acid field. This would give you a great indication of the IONICs SOC, and you will instantly know when charging is required. The IONIC BlueTooth App is a very user friendlly tool. Good fishing.
    I'll be charging every day. Based on everything in this thread a set of 50's for my TM will be fine.

My first question wasn't answered - If one of the 3 lithiums for the TM goes bad, what is the impact of using a regular deep cycle with the other 2 lithiums while I wait for a replacement?
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Page 18 of 107 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast