Page 5 of 107 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Charging, Again the deal is that IONIC Lithium does not discharge like Lead acid or AGM, the discharge aperage stays constant, thus not falling off like lead acid does, so the capacity that you actually use is less because it remains at a constant aperage, and not requiring you to turn up the dial for more power, thus less is being used. About the charging of damaging the battery. Lithium does not degrade it can maintain its charge for a year when stored properly. No lead acid battery on this earth can do that, so recognize the fact that you are comparing apples to oranges so to speak. Like I pointed out most every charger has a cut off voltage, I think all do actually. So the charger shuts itself down no matter how long you leave it hooked up in charge state, so it cuts off period. Also on the battery is a management board that monitors all that is going on with it from charging to discharging, not so with lead acid. Bluetooth would be useless for lead acid or AGM because they are dying from the moment they are made. Good care and management help them to survive many years, but after you start using them they can never be exactly like new. However Lithium chemistry can, thats why they have a management board, to manage the battery. I have used them with 3 different manufactures chargers, they are not made specifically for lithium because of the higher voltage, so they really can't overchage lithium, unless there is something critically wrong with the charger. The lithium may be charged at just a fraction off from exactly 100% But realize IONIC are 134 Amp or 54 Amp to begin with, so you get more than you really pay for. So in the end they will show 13.3V most of the time and 99% charged, with the Bluetooth App. I run my trolling motor on 50% all day, but I'm fishing not trying to run a marathon, so the current draw is off and on. In a days good fishing I only average about 1 hour running time to 1.5 hours running time on the outboard. Hey thats why you have to charge the cranking battery and its charge is coming from the outboard, but you can't run it enough to charge the current you draw for all your equipment, unless you run it constantly. And the trolling motor lithiums are way more efficent that, if fishing you never use enough current to pull them down as far as lead acid has to be pulled, thus they charge on average very fast. If the outboard's we use put out enough amperage to charge the cranking battery so as you didn't have to charge it after a day on the lake would be great. So think about that, the outboard cannot supply enough amperage to charge the cranking battery, much less it and 3 trolling motor batteries. You are off and on the trolling motor, but your electronics and livewells and starting amp spike drain a lot more than the trolling motor because they are on the whole day. IONIC and Bluetooth keeps you on top! This is not electronic engineer knowledge, it's more complicated than the words I have used to describe my personal experience over the past 6 years. I am an example of the everyday fiserman, trying to help my fellow fishing friend's. Thanks again guy's.

2. Member
    BoatNooBie, Yes on the 100 Amp with that Merc.
    Guy's I got some info that there would be a slight price increase around June 1st......
    PM me if in need of info. Thanks

3. Member
    I also got the same info, basically they’re running a sale until the end of the month is what I was told. At the end of May they’ll re evaluate it and decide whether or not to continue the sale or increase the price. I went ahead and jumped just to be safe.

4. Member
    Brandon214 you will be very happy, I guarantee !! Smart, be sure to get the Bluetooth App.

5. Member
    I’ve already got it downloaded just waiting on the batteries to be delivered

6. Member
    Brandon214 SWEET !!

7. Member
    I jumped on the 125ah.... looking forward to see how it performs.

8. Member
    Offshore 1, Good deal, you are going to be happy with a 32.5 lb. 134 Amp battery taking care of everything. Shedding 65-75 lbs. on the jump!! and it could not touch the battery you are getting !!
    I would add that the guys worried about their Merc 250 Pro XS cranking. Guy's you will be amazed at how the 125 Amp IONIC spins that motor over, there is no question to me that you too will be pleasantly surprised at the IONIC's performance. Guy's be sure to download the Bluetooth App. You will instantly know every detail about your IONIC's. And don't forget the IONIC 50 Amp batteries are around 13-14 lbs each, one great big weight savings!!
    Beat the June 1st, price increase !!

9. Member
    Ordered a 50AH to use on my kayak to run a trolling motor. Looking forward to the weight loss; my elbows are tired of picking up the heavy lead battery. I plan to test this battery out well; if it works out, I may replace the 3 group 31 AGMs in my big boat.

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Looking forward to more reviews from others......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

11. Member
    I just received my 50aH batteries about an hour ago. I won’t be able to stick them into the bot until this weekend unfortunately, however I was thoroughly impressed as we had a very small statured female ups driver drop them off and she carried all three of them to my house with ease. I picked them up and was completely astonished at how light these things actually are. I can’t wajt to try them out. A 125 will definitely be next.

12. Member
    How much power does the Bluetooth device draw from the battery?

For example with a fully charged battery, after sitting 1 month, where would it be?

13. Member
    What charger are you guys using with the 50ah batteries as I am interested in one. I called Dual Pro and asked them and they said the 10 amp sportsman or 15 amp pro would work does that sound right. I thought the charger would have to be made to charge lithium batteries and be at least 15 amp. It looked like the LithiumHub charger was on backorder.

Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    What charger are you guys using with the 50ah batteries as I am interested in one. I called Dual Pro and asked them and they said the 10 amp sportsman or 15 amp pro would work does that sound right. I thought the charger would have to be made to charge lithium batteries and be at least 15 amp. It looked like the LithiumHub charger was on backorder.
    I believe RangerZ address that a couple of times in this thread.

15. Member
    According to the owner the lithium hub charger is due in next week, however the owner also expressed to me that any lead acid charger will work as long as it charges to 14.2-14.4v because the batteries have their own management system inside to keep them from over charging.

16. Member
    So, I have a new Terrova 80/24. I fished for about seven hours yesterday on a somewhat windy Lake Guntersville and exhausted my lead acid batteries. I've been considering purchasing a pair of 50Ah to replace them and then I read this on the MK site.
    Can my Minn Kota trolling motor run on Lithium Ion batteries?

Minn Kota trolling motors can run on Lithium Ion batteries. However, they are specifically designed to run on traditional lead acid batteries (flooded, AGM or GEL). Lithium Ion batteries maintain higher voltages for longer periods of time than lead acid. Therefore, running a Minn Kota trolling motor at speeds higher than 85% for a prolonged period could cause permanent damage to the motor.

So, now I'm not sure about changing to lithiums but- I am sure I don't want to kill a new Terrova. I usually don't run at 100%, however, there isn't a real definition for "prolonged". Anyone have experience or thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    2005 Triton TR-196
    1990 ProCraft ProCaster 180

17. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    if you were buying a charger from dual pro they will program it with a lithium charging profile, they have several different profiles depending on manufacturers specs on the batteries
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

18. Member
    Caddis001, I'm sure my Fortrex was "designed for lead acid" hmmm...what else was there before the design....hmmm kinda makes me wonder. I've been running my 36V 112 fortrex on IONIC Lithium since they came out. I run it on 50% most of the time, I cross a large cove I'll bump it to 100% just to save fishing time. I fish 8-10 hours most days I fish. I fish Lakes and 50% works super for me. I use 15-18% in that time on the lake. I'm bass fishing so when I get on a good spot I work slowly, so I don't run constantly. I know of guys that fish tailraces behind damns, and they had to move up to 100Amp batterries because they didn't have an anchoring system such as PowerPoles. So they need more capacity. They have to stay on it constantly. I guess technology can be put down, but I also drive a 96' Chevy that was designed with regular headlights, and it came with a lead acid battery. Now it has Halogen headlights and tail lights and a IONIC Lithium Deep Cycle battery for the past 6 years. I'm still waiting on it to break, might be tomorrow, better be careful on that one. I can only express my experience. If you had brand new lead acid and they could stay at maximum capacity would the trolling motor be damaged, I would say no. But there again, Lithium has a couple tenths higher voltage on the go, but as they are used they drop a little too, but amps stay the same, so it is a very good question, that is how does the motor know it's source. I don't belive our electronics are that close to exact, down to the tenth of a volt sensitive. It would take a very expensive control board to tell. I don't think that Motor Guide or Minn Kota motors are that refined' just logic I think. One has to be satisfied with their products and guard to use them correctly. But we have to look at our Graphs also' can we use Lithium to run them? Well I've been doing that for 6 years with IONIC Lithiums, They cost around $2800 a pop and I guarantee you they are more voltage sensitive than our trolling motors. It's a good thought to protect our investments, this fishing stuff ain't cheap! Also Brand New Designs on about everything we use comes right to us with "BUGS", we rarily get a notification that we may have a flawed product, sorta like when the fabulous ULTREX came out with bad motors and GPS sytems. I did't read the part " it's those guy's using Lithium batteries ! Just bad designes beating a consumer deadline. My 2 cent's.

19. Member
    Thanks RZ! I appreciate the knowledge and experience you've had with lithium. My thoughts as well on "how does it know"? I thought, and still think, 12v DC is 12v DC regardless of the source. Now I have to find the $ while they are on sale!
    2005 Triton TR-196
    1990 ProCraft ProCaster 180

With all the questions about chargers, I though I would test an older dual pro 4 bank 40 amp charger on the 125ah ionic. After fishing Wed night, I had 68% battery left. Unhooked the 18 amp charger and hooked 1 bank to the ionic and left over night. Battery was charged to 94% and was in standby mode. The ionic charger has charged to 99 or 100 percent each time. Not going to make a big difference in day to day use.

Page 5 of 107 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast