Page 51 of 107 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 2128
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Misinformation.

They are not made from 18650 cells.

“Prismatic Cells – Cylindrical cells only come in certain sizes which limits the possible shapes and sizes of the starter battery case designs. As such, batteries fit for many vehicles may be poor, or impossible as they are too wide or too tall and create internal hot spots. Ionic prismatic cells on the other hand, are rectangular packages which can be freely designed and sized according to the size requirements of the battery case. As such, ionic offers perfect drop-in fit in most vehicles along with having better thermal management properties.”
    The misinformation is at various places on their website where they continuously call them Lithium Ion batteries and reference 18650 batteries. When you find the specification sheet it seems to be correct.

Although the specifications show the battery can be charged down to -4 C which would damage a LiFePo4 battery. In some of their text they reference that battery damage can occur if charging below 0C. In the text they say the 50 AH battery weighs 11 lbs but in the specs say 16 lbs.
    The website needs work.
    Last edited by Bob B; 10-21-2019 at 02:31 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

I agree, that website could use some accuracy and consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    Nice report Bruce.

I've found on those chilly mornings, mid 40s or less, my 125 Lithium needs some help on the first start of the day. It's good after that first start. It was either buy a portable battery pack, or use the jumper cables.

My solution, I hard wired negative and positive connections from the #1 troll battery to the starting battery. I ran the positive connection through a manual breaker. No positive/jumper connection unless I manually close the breaker.

My very busy 125ah start battery.

Attachment 380334Attachment 380335
    I was wondering about this - I keep my boat in a heated garage but cold temps will be here soon. I do have a lithium jump pack in the boat at all times.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

4. 80.3 mph and squeezing bruce''s Avatar
    Originally Posted by Ed R
    Nice report Bruce.

I've found on those chilly mornings, mid 40s or less, my 125 Lithium needs some help on the first start of the day. It's good after that first start. It was either buy a portable battery pack, or use the jumper cables.

My solution, I hard wired negative and positive connections from the #1 troll battery to the starting battery. I ran the positive connection through a manual breaker. No positive/jumper connection unless I manually close the breaker.

My very busy 125ah start battery.

Attachment 380334Attachment 380335

Interesting, I dint have a heated garage,
    I can see a issue arising. As the morning get a little colder the little noise i hear when starting is prolonged. Hard to explain but i hear it.

Today trips was very different, wind and storm that moved the fish.
    Had to run and gun today . Fish moved out and made it tougher.
    15 to 18 mph winds all day.
    13 hours trip
    Starting battery at 84 %
    trolling batteries all at 71 %
    wont charge and will go again Thursday
    Fishing Texas lakes one at a time
    2000 Baltex hull 202 Elite Champion
    2016 250 pro
    8 inch Hydraulic Jack Plate
    tempest 27 work by Steve
    Hook sets are fishing reality.

5. 80.3 mph and squeezing bruce''s Avatar
    Day two update
    Big wind twenty plus most of the day. We stayed hunkerd down a few isolated ledges,
    Fished 14 hours. trolling motor stayed on spot lock for three to 4 hours at a time. mostly on setting 6.
    ended the day ,, with the
    Starting batterers. @ 68%
    trolling batteries are at 54%
    Going to take a fun trip Friday to a very small power plant lake. Wont charge them till i get home.
    If anyone knows how to do a screen shot i could add pictures.
    2016 250 pro
    tempest 27 work by Steve

6. Member
    My Ionic 125 starting battery stays above 90% all the time. I fished 7 hours yesterday and my Ionic 100 trolling batteries were 92%. I love them. I only need to charge them about every third trip.

7. 80.3 mph and squeezing bruce''s Avatar
    Well today was a day i kind of figured was coming.'
    The temps this morning on the way to the lake was 45. With north winds at 20 plus
    Got to the lake splashed the boat, and sure enough nothing, Just a slight grunt and no power..
    Drifted off the trailer and into the reeds. tried to start several times. No go. This is a power plant lake and the water temperature is in the low 80. Sitting there for several minutes I noticed the led voltage gauge that i used for charging go pro and phone flipped to 14 volts. Reached down and hit the key and she busted right off, the motor finally fired. . And would start the remainder of the day 8 hours. Of 20 plus winds.
    Ended the day with a starting battery at 48%
    trolling batteries at 23%
    Looks like i need to find a starting alternative, I need to talk to some folks about what i can expect the rest of the winter. And a jump box will be in the future.
    2016 250 pro
    tempest 27 work by Steve

8. Member
    Is there any type of battery warmer that could be used? Of course you wouldn’t want to drain the battery.

9. 80.3 mph and squeezing bruce''s Avatar
    That is what i am looking into now. Some way to keep the battery warmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahala View Post
    Is there any type of battery warmer that could be used? Of course you wouldn’t want to drain the battery.
    2016 250 pro
    tempest 27 work by Steve

There are warmers designed to heat holding tanks that might work .... They might be hot spots on them so direct contact with the battery may not be a good idea.

These kind of things can be found in 12 or 120V versions. https://www.amazon.com/Facon-Holding...s%2C286&sr=8-5

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

11. Moderator
    I have a 125ah starting battery and 3 50ah trolling batteries. I won't be able to jump the 125 with one 50. So do I need a jump pack or just a heater? Has there been a change in the battery for this issue?

12. Member
    Alot of us use the lithium for the trolling motor, and keep an AGM for the starting battery.

13. Member
    how do these batteries hold up in the heat, lots of talk about the cold, being in Arizona the temps in summer are 115 plus
    2014 Phoenix 721
    250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by plbass View Post
    I have a 125ah starting battery and 3 50ah trolling batteries. I won't be able to jump the 125 with one 50. So do I need a jump pack or just a heater? Has there been a change in the battery for this issue?
    I had a 125 with a bad BMS board and it wouldn't crank even with a large lithium jump pack - very rare and I got a new battery in a couple days (awesome CS) but that's something to keep in mind if you don't have another battery than is capable of cranking the big motor.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plbass View Post
    Had same problem when I first got my relion starting battery.. I did 2 things.. wired boat directly to the battery(no switch).. and i now turn my depth finders on when rigging the boat( the current draw heats the battery). I've started the boat with temps as cold as 21 deg.. a jump start wont work if it sees a fully charged battery..

Quote Originally Posted by basser38 View Post
    Had same problem when I first got my relion starting battery.. I did 2 things.. wired boat directly to the battery(no switch).. and i now turn my depth finders on when rigging the boat( the current draw heats the battery). I've started the boat with temps as cold as 21 deg.. a jump start wont work if it sees a fully charged battery..
    What does not going through a switch do? When you say rigging, do you mean getting boat ready to launch? How long are the graphs on for to warm battery?
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

17. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    the Ionics will also warm up with just a little current draw from graphs, lights or a pump,it doesn't take much and the battery will actually become more powerful after some current draw and capable of starting the engine at below freezing temps.

for those looking for a jump start solution hang tight, I,ll have something soon that will make you
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

18. 80.3 mph and squeezing bruce''s Avatar
    I have been turning my three graphs on when leaving the house. So far it been working. Two trips without a issue. About a hour and a half drive to the lake. But will be thinking about a jump box this week.
    2016 250 pro
    tempest 27 work by Steve

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-action View Post
    What does not going through a switch do? When you say rigging, do you mean getting boat ready to launch? How long are the graphs on for to warm battery?
    Yes while getting it ready.15 min tops. my boat came from the factory with a main cut off switch for everything including the engine..I took the engine cables off the switch and put them on the battery.. less resistance was my thinking. Seems to work.. i also bought a small/cheap 12v heater but i havent needed it yet..i have a noco gb70 jump start but that wouldnt start it..

20. Member
    So why do you have to warm the batteries to start the engines, I thought from reading all the lithium is you can't charge them in cold temps, I know am missing something.

Page 51 of 107 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast