SET UP INFORMATION THAT MIGHT HELP

Last Year I purchased a 2018 Brand new Phoenix 721 and a Brand new Honda BF250. I have to say this is a awesome outboard. I ended 2018 with exactly 70 hours on it and not one issue with the Honda. The outboard is quiet, starts first time ever time and runs on regular 87 gas not to mention no oil because it's a 4 stroke.

For my set up I got lots of help and information from 3 sources, Honda Ray is a great guy and a wealth of knowledge on Honda's, Lake Lanier propeller and Mark's High performance Propeller. Both prop shops were very good and full of knowledge.

My original plan was to have each shop work me up a Tempest plus and run the best one as my primary and use the other as a spare. Now that I'm just about done with all the work I want done to a Tempest plus I'm going to also work a Fury 3 blade. In the end I will keep one Fury and one Tempest.

So far it looks like the best work to a Tempest will be a pitch over 25 but less the a 26 so call it a 25.5 pitch. Also both props I have had a lot of cup added!!! The cup and the balance and blue print has given me the ability to run the Honda high and not have as much prop slip.

THE SET UP:

BOAT = 2018 PHOENIX 721
    OUTBOARD = HONDA BF250
    JACK PLATE = ATLAS HYDRO WITH HOLESHOT PLATE
    PROP = TEMPEST PLUS ALL HOLES PLUGGED "LOT'S OF SHOP WORK LISTED ABOVE"
    RUNNING = 1.5 BELOW PAD
    RPM'S WITH FULL LOAD = 6300
    SPEED WITH FULL LOAD = 68MPH "max but always over 67"
    RPM'S RUNNING SOLO AND LIGHT = 6450 " HAVE HIT LIMITER"
    SPEED RUNNING SOLO AND LIGHT = 70MPH "max but always over 69"
    PROP SLIP = 9% TO 10%

I will update when I work a Fury 3 blade.

Hope this helps some of you guys with set up's because I know how hard it is to find information on them. I have found the reason why Honda's take a bit longer to set up is NOT because the 250 is a slug it is because they gear it 2.0:1. I think of it this way if my 350 v8 in my Corvette is the same 350 v8 that I have in my pick up truck, the gears in the truck make it slower so when I try to make it run like my corvette it takes some time.
    Last edited by GEEBASS2000; 05-09-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Not entirely accurate...It is a weak 250 based on the CARB data...

2019 Honda BF250D 186 kW (249 HP) and 320 N-m torque

2019 Mercury Pro XS 250 4 Stroke 206 kW (276 HP) and 423 N-m torque...The SHO and G2 have similar output numbers for HP...

3. Member
    This is true, however both prop shops made it VERY clear to me that the 2.0:1 gears are what make it a odd set up for a bass boat, most other outboards run 1.75:1.

Example given to me was the same 25pitch prop with the same 10% slip if run on 1.75 gears the outboard only would need to turn 5900 rpm's to go 72 mph.