OKATIBBEE FISHING

Now that I am finally retired, and a Mississippi native, even though I live in Alabama, I want to fish more in the home state. I fished Okatibbee last in 1972. how is the fishing now, can anybody offer suggestions, I would really appreciate any advise.

2. Member
    Club had a tournament there last week. Lot's of small 5-7 pound limits and was won with 12. something with a 7.38. I think there was three fish weighed over two pounds.

I have an arial photo of lake from way back in the day before it was ever flooded. It shows all the old fish hatcheries with their levees and the other creek channels. It was passed down to me from my father. He was stationed there at the Naval Air Station (when I was born) and met someone from the Army Corp of Engineers who got him a copy of the photo. I am out to sea right now but when I get back home I can upload a copy of the pic here if anyone is interested. Back then they used to fish the old creek channels offshore with HellBender crankbaits in bone. Still have a few of them left from my father's collection too. Never thrown one though! LOL

4. Member
    I want a copy of that.

5. Member
    bama jim there will be a fruit jar tournament Thursday evening 5/16. $30 entry fee $5 big fish 3 fish limit 5pm until dark Collinsville ramp. You can keep up with results by joining the group East Mississippi Bass Anglers on facebook.

castalot: I am supposed to be back home around the middle of June. If you don't hear from me just shoot me a PM to remind me. The edges and fold marks are tattered but it's still got a lot of good info that can be discerned from it! You can literally see all the stumps, depressions, creek channels, and levees from the old fish ponds on it.

I need to try and take it somewhere to have it digitally enhanced and then laminate a copy of it. It's rare that I get back there to Okatibbee but I'd hate for this "treasure" to disappear!

7. Member
    Thank you.

8. Member
    make that 2

we had club tourney out there this past weekend. 17 something one. water about 5 feet above normal at the moment so not that bad.