Thread: Mow your lawn!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Mow your lawn!

Another day, another interesting story out of Florida. Also another city to cross off the list of potential places to call home.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-m...cut-grass-yard

Crazy!

I'm fine with it. I wouldn't want to live next to him. There is obviously a reason they have the law and everyone should abide by it.

3. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman6805 View Post
    I'm fine with it. I wouldn't want to live next to him. There is obviously a reason they have the law and everyone should abide by it.
    Did you read the article as to why it was that high and that its back to be taken care of?
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Agreed, I would hate to be his neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by bassman6805 View Post
    Read the article.

Extenuating circumstances. This should take 2 minutes to reverse
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

6. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    The Dude abides...
    Who controls John Gill?

No one is asking you to move here.......

8. Member
    500 a day seems extremely unreasonable. A city I lived in had a max grass height similar to that, and if it was reached the rec department just came in and mowed it for you, and you got sent a bill (like $50 a time, or something like that). It wasn't excessive but was still a motivation to keep your yard decent.

edit: was possibly based on an hourly rate, I don't recall exactly, but that would probably make more sense.

9. Member
    $500 a day! wow.

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Did you read the article as to why it was that high and that its back to be taken care of?
    While I feel the fines are a tad bit excessive they are apparently that way because this must be a huge problem in his area

I also feel for the guy situation but 60 days seems like a long time to leave your house and not at least contact a neighbor or a lawn care service.. no one checked his mail or his property in those 60 days ?

11. Member
    So the guy is out of town taking care of his mothers estate. Has a friend that was going to be mowing the lawn for him. That friend dies unexpectedly. The owner does not find out until he gets back and he has been fined $500 per day since the lawn got over 10". And they are proceeding to foreclose on his property because he refuses to pay the nearly $30K in fines on fines for being fined? Is Florida really that insane?

12. Member
    I think he will win on the excessive fine part. A good neighbor should have stepped up for him, sometimes stuff happens.

I think the city is overstepping with that kind of fine, What if you were in the hospital and you had no one to help you?

14. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    While I feel the fines are a tad bit excessive they are apparently that way because this must be a huge problem in his area

I also feel for the guy situation but 60 days seems like a long time to leave your house and not at least contact a neighbor or a lawn care service.. no one checked his mail or his property in those 60 days ?
    Mail can be stopped at the post office, wife and I do it when we are out of town, nothing goes to house. If he thought it was being taken care of why would he have someone check? He is taken care of his mothers estate, not exactly a fun time in life, had enough to think about.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

15. Member
    I have no problem with the fines. Most people who leave home for that long make routine phone calls to check in. He should of had a backup plan of a grass cutting service to cut his lawn. Also amazed that one of his neighbors didn't call him alerting him of the death of the individual. While he had circumstances, they were easily worked around to solve his problem.

I go away for two two weeks and I hire a grass cutting service to cut my lawn. Most nice communities have rules on maintaining your property. He broke the rules. No one wants to live next to an eyesore. People should know the rules and have plan a and plan b established to ensure the rules are followed. If you don't like the rules, move.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

No issues with the guy being fined. $500 a day though? That's insanity. This will make it to a higher court and get thrown out as unconstitutional just like Virginia's $3,500 speeding tickets several years back.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I’d say that will get thrown out quickly as the fines are excessive. I’m good with imposing penalty but there is nothing reasonable about what the city is doing.

18. Member
    Our neighbors moved out and divorced last fall . House was in her father's name and now is in her brother's name . Brother has yet to move it . Grass in yard is over waist high with it being last cut in July 2018 . County code says must be over 18" high before they can enforce code violation . They also have 3 abandoned vehicles in yard with no tags . We refused to cut it for they because the former occupant burned a pile of brush and threw some trash and pieces of metal in the fire . No telling what else is in that grass and we aren't going to tear up our mower in it . I turned the problem over to the county this week . They now have 20 days to clean up yard and get vehicles properly licensed or get summons for court .

My subdivision is supposed to take care of it if it gets over 10 inches tall. They have a lawn care service they call and send you the bill. Seems like a much better option then fining someone $500 a day. Cut the grass, charge the guy $50 and the problem is taken care of. Common sense. Charging the guy $500 a day without contacting him and telling him of the issue, doesn't solve anything.

When I go out of town, I tell my neighbors I'm going to be gone so they can keep an eye on the house. They do the same. If something was getting out of control like the grass, I would take the 30 minutes it would take and mow the grass for him. My neighbor across the street is often gone for weeks or even a month at a time taking care of his sick and elderly parents in Florida. When it snowed, either me or his other neighbor would shovel his driveway so it looked like someone was home. He has someone mow his yard, but would mow it if it was out of control when I knew he was gone. Seems like the decent neighborly thing to do.

20. Member
    He was on vacation and the grass is cut now... make the fine reasonable and move on. Threatening to foreclose is ridiculous.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast