Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I fix a lot of different brands of rods and I also buy broken rods and reuse the components for repairs and budget builds. I was a St. Croix guy for years before I started building and I hate to say it but they're not built as well as they used to be (guides come out of wraps, reel seats are really easy to take off etc at least from Avid down). Dobyns on the other hand are built very well, the only thing I can get out of a Dobyns is typically the guides, the reel seats are put on too well.

2. Member
    Shocked to hear this on the builds good for dobyns.

My problem with dobyns I witnessed in the passed is a complete lack of sensitivity and the ratings are way overrated
    Nitro z21

The extremes and especially the Xtasy are very sensitive.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

4. Member
    Thanks everyone for the info. I am going to order a couple Dobyns Crankbait rods. Then look at some G. Loomis rods for bottom contact baits. I looked at the st croix avid,avid x, and legend series rods. Didn’t care for the cosmetics of the rods. Thanks again for the help

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    Shocked to hear this on the builds good for dobyns.

My problem with dobyns I witnessed in the passed is a complete lack of sensitivity and the ratings are way overrated
    I have no idea how they fish, I'm just saying they're put together well from the half dozen or so I've pulled apart.

6. Member
    Dobyns Rods are OVERRated
    just my humble opinion.

7. Member
    Dobyns for casting gear 100%. The Champ CB's are awesome. The Champ 734 is the most versatile rod in their offering. I love my Champ HP 745's as jig rods. As for spinning gear I'd consider another brand. My experience is that Dobyns spinning rods are flat, lacking sensitivity. I personally chose Shimano Exprides as a great bang for the buck spinning rod. I know several guys who love St. Croix spinning gear. I haven't owned one so I can't give you feedback, but that may be the direction that you want to go. Tight lines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12