Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dobyns and St Croix

Trying to pick a rod company to switch to. I have it narrowed down to these 2. Looking for a company that has good price ranges and a lot of rod options. I have owned some st Croix in the past, but never any Dobyns. The Dobyns Rods seem to offer a few more technique specific rods. Looking mainly at the Dobyns champion xp line and the St Croix Avid series. Any help or opinions appreciated. I have heard both have good customer support? Thanks

2. Member
    I own several dobyns champ xp rods and really enjoy fishing them. However, I mostly use them for moving bait presentations. In my opinion, there are more sensitive options at the same price or less, but you won’t find a better-balanced off the shelf rod than a dobyns. Very comfortable to fish.

3. Member
    Dobyns have a rod for every technique and price point. I've had 4 and they all balance perfectly and are very comfortable to fish with. That being said, I wouldn't want to have all of my rods come from one manufacture. I've got a handful of dobyns, shimano, alpha angler, ALX....

4. Member
    With the exception of a couple high end rods my spinning and casting rods are almost all Dobyn’s or St. Croix. Like the others have said, Dobyn’s has more selection across all their lineups but I’ve been pleased with all of the avids, avid X, and even mojo bass rods I’ve had. Both have good customer service. In my opinion, Dobyn’s is better balanced and St. Croix is more sensitive but can be a little tip heavy. You can’t loose with either, I’d pick what style of technique you’re wanting a rod and let that guide you.

5. Member
    Dobyns is a little more balanced but St Croix sensitivity blows them out of the water.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Dobyns gets my vote. I have a bunch of their rods, and couldn’t be happier. They have a length and action for anything you would want. Quality is top notch, and I think the sensitivity is amazing!

7. Member
    I love both brands, but i would go with st croix spinning rods and dobyns baitcasters

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Dobyns is a little more balanced but St Croix sensitivity blows them out of the water.
    I disagree. I own both and find the champ and avid to be similar sensitivity wise. Dobyns has a ton more options for rod lengths and actions to fish a variety of techniques. That’s what st croix is missing. The hp line vs extreme line are very close sensitivity wise to me as well.

Most at of all my rods are dobyns champ and hp. I do have two st croix legend extreme rods.

9. Member
    Dobyns without question. Been disappointed many times with St Croix's, never once with a Dobyns. I would agree that the Dobyns aren't the greatest for sensitivity...but how sensitive do you need. If that's the only concern...buy an NRX/Conquest. To me...the Dobyns feel better, and fish better. And so far...none have broke in half. Every St Croix i've ever owned has snapped. I'd buy a Dobyns before i'd use a free St Croix.

I've got both. Several spinning rods from both but most of my bait cast are from Dobyns, Champions and Extremes. I just bought a 7-4H Avid X for a dedicated jig rod so time will tell on that decision. I know both have reasonable warranty policies and both will require you to pay a replacement fee if the damage isn't due to a defect. I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

11. Member
    I now have mostly high end ST Croix( legend, legend x and legend tournament). Really like them all and have not had any issue with them. Have broken other brand rods before but not a ST Croix. Sensitivity is outstanding and really like the numerous options in the legend tournament line.

12. Banned
    My vote is:

BOTH!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    My vote is:

BOTH!
    This is the best answer!

14. Member
    I lean towards the St Croix side. Outstanding customer service. I would stay with the Avid on up.

Quote Originally Posted by pa17522 View Post
    I lean towards the St Croix side. Outstanding customer service. I would stay with the Avid on up.
    x2

16. Member
    I would go either way on those two company: St. Croix and Dobyns.

My Set up:
    Dobyns Champion: moving baits.
    St. Croix LTB: Wacky and Jerkbait
    Gloomis NRX: Bottom Contact (803C and 873CCR)

17. Member
    Don't own a Dobyn's. Have only held the Fury and Colt series. did not like their feel in my hand.
    Own four St Croixs. Super rods.
    If looking for a rod company...My vote is Phenix

18. Member
    Here's an opinion or observation for yea While yes both good companies St. croix customer service and warranties go above and beyond. Look on here any given day of the week and you'll see 50 Dobyns for sale. Are they bad rods hmmm no but guys seem to be always looking for something better than their Dobyns rod or they're bored with them. Dobyns rods seem to get allot of hype when imho there are rods just as good if not better. Yes I own them all would I loose sleep over not fishing with a Dobyns NO.

19. Member
    Why limit yourself to 1 brand? Get the best of all worlds I have St Croix LTB, Dobyns Champ Xtr, Duckett, Shimano, and Megabass rods all for different techniques.

20. Member
    I vote G Loomis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast