Truck not recognizing trailer??

I have a 2013 F-150 and when I hook the boat trailer up, it says "trailer disconnected". Yet my running lights and brake lights all work fine. The only thing is the sumbitch dings like crazy everytime I go to back up because the back up camera 'sees' the boat and thinks I'm about to hit something. Now, yes, I can turn it off - but it's just a pain in the keester to do that everytime. I've checked all the fuses and everything is fine. Even rewired my trailer this spring and everything is good.

Any ideas as to what the problem is????
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

2. Member
    I am going to assume you have a standard trailer with just surge brakes?

In that case, your trailer brake controller (TBC) will not recognize you have a trailer attached. You would need to have electric over hydraulic brakes or straight electric brakes for the truck and the TBC to recognize a trailer is attached.

3. Member
    I would check for ground issues. The truck doesn't need the break controller to recognize anything for the truck to see a trailer.

4. Member
    I don't know about the message but the dinging when backing up is normal. I had a 2013 bought new for 5 years and it did it ever time I hooked the boat up. Only thing you can do is turn it off every time.

What DQM said. Your truck will not “recognize” a trailer with surge brakes, as your truck brake controller does not operate surge brakes. You will have to turn off your backup sensors every time if the beeping bothers you. My 2010 F150 was the same way.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

6. Member
    It's normal, my 2015 does it, I can see the boat tongue through the camera while backing, do not use that for baking up. Once the trailer is un hooked your good to go.
    2013 A211 250 Pro XS
    Bob"s 10" Action Series Hydraulic Jack Plate
    2-8' Power Poles

7. Member
    I leased a 2016 previously - and it NEVER did this. It always recognized when I had the trailer hooked up.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

8. Member
    The software changed when the aluminum body came out in 2015. My 2018 recognizes the trailer right away and disables the warning beep.

I my Chevy does the same thing but only with my boat.
    It recognizes the other two trailers I have and maybe once out of a dozen times it will recognize the boat.

10. mikesxpress
    I had a 2011 F150 Ecoboost and now a 2018. The camera has nothing to do with the dinging. Its your back up sensors which you turn off when hooking to the trailer. Once your hooked up save the trailer in the truck trailer menu. I have Ranger1 for the boat (surge brakes) and Beaver for my 28' trailer (electric brakes) to haul my Ford tractor.

11. Member
    I have a 2015 ford and mine does not ding when backing up, no surge brakes.

12. mikesxpress
    Bill the surge brakes have nothing to do with the truck chime. Does your 2015 have the back up sensors that chime if something is in your path while in reverse?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    I had a 2011 F150 Ecoboost and now a 2018. The camera has nothing to do with the dinging. Its your back up sensors which you turn off when hooking to the trailer. Once your hooked up save the trailer in the truck trailer menu. I have Ranger1 for the boat (surge brakes) and Beaver for my 28' trailer (electric brakes) to haul my Ford tractor.
    Once I save the trailer - will it always recognize it when hooked up? My 2016 did. Also - will I have to turn off the back up beeps every stinking time?
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

14. mikesxpress
    I always ordered my trucks without those backup sensors. PIA. So I can't answer up for having to turn them off each time.

15. Member
    Your 2013 will not recognize a trailer is connected unless you have electric or electric over hydraulic brakes, therefore I believe you will not be able to "Save" your settings for a trailer. It is easy to turn off the back up sensor alert though. Press down arrow once and "OK." Takes less than a second.

For 2009-2013, it is just a trailer brake controller (TBC) and the TBC looks for an electrical connection on the brake pin on the 7-pin plug only. Obviously this will not exist at all for the 4-pin plug.

Starting in 2015 with the new model, the truck looks for an electrical connection on the running light pin of either plug.

16. Member
    My 2013 beeps when I back up with my aluminum boat or my basscat and as said, hit the error and turn off. It takes about a second to turn the beep off. Should have said arrow on the left of the steering wheel.

17. Member
    Yeah - I know how to turn off the beep.......just don't always remember to and it's super annoying.

I just was wondering if something was wrong with the truck - because it's not recognizing the trailer. Sounds like it's just the way it is. Thanks all.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

18. Member
    Do you have LED's on the trailer. Ford can reflash your computer to recognize the lower draw.
    Please release me,let me go.

19. Member
    I do have LED's........I switched them over when I bought it 2 years ago.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

20. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    not to bring up a old thread but i have a 2011 f150 and any trailer on the back in the sensors go crazy. eazy fix go under the dash below the steering wheel and you will see a little box. just unplug the wiring harness to it and it wont beep anymore
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com
    Hand Tied Jigs, Spinnerbaits and much more
    2000 Skeeter zx202c - 200 Yamaha Vmax OX66 VX200TLRY