Thread: Casting Lures

Casting Lures

I very rarely target crappie, but my uncle has recently turned me on to casting 2” curly tail grubs for them. When I went online to check out the various grub options, I noticed that most crappie lures are straight tailed. Now this may be a dumb question, but are those straight tailed baits just for vertical jigging and/or float fishing, or do people use them for casting too? I would think when casting, you’d want to use a curly tail or boot tail to have some movement, but maybe I’m wrong.

2. Member
    There are times when the straight tails can be effective. A good one to try is the Bobby Garland slab slayer, it can be deadly at times casting them. Tube jigs can also work very well, lots of fish caught on them every year. I mostly use curly tails or creature type baits when casting but some days the fish like the others better.

3. Member
    I use both for casting and jigging with good results. Sometimes they want a straight tail and other times curly. Their moods are as random as a woman’s and just as unpredictable.

4. Member
    I cast with some curly tails but I tend to use a lot more straight tails or the ones with the little ball at the end. Really like the minnow profile if I can find it. If you have never tried the strike king “joker”....great plastic for all styles vertical, casting, and I have even dropshot with it.

5. Member
    Thanks all for the info. That Joker looks interesting. For you all that cast the straight tailed lures, do you all twitch or pop your rod when retrieving them to give them more action, or do the crappie just like that “do nothing” look sometimes?

I guess it’s just like bass fishing. Sometimes one thing works and another time the exact opposite works. I’m probably overthinking this crappie deal.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    Thanks all for the info. That Joker looks interesting. For you all that cast the straight tailed lures, do you all twitch or pop your rod when retrieving them to give them more action, or do the crappie just like that “do nothing” look sometimes?

I guess it’s just like bass fishing. Sometimes one thing works and another time the exact opposite works. I’m probably overthinking this crappie deal.

Both. Sometimes a straight retrive, other times they want it twitched like crazy. And yeah I think ya are :)

7. Member
    One cannot simply over think the wily Crappie!!

8. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    check out the fle fly lures for sure!
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

9. Member
    You can fish the straight tailed lures vertical or retrieve them. I like the Bobby Garland Baby Shad a lot.

10. Member
    You can cast or vertical jig any bait. Sometimes you stumble across something that works really well that you'd never think would work.

11. Member
    You can fish the straight tailed lures vertical or retrieve them
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:09 AM.

12. Member
    2" Keitech swing impacts that have had their tails biten off on a 1/32 jighead works great casting retrieving. Also a 1" gulp minnow (more of a straight tail) on 1/80 jighead let sink slowly then twitch catches em too.

13. Member
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:10 AM.