Thread: Presque Isle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Yea was gonna fish up at dunkirk as well just was wondering how the bite was! Thank goodness I have experience on th great lakes as I fish Ontario often..so dually noted on the weather but looks good so far for this weekend just some rain...

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kgabriele1114 View Post
    Yea was gonna fish up at dunkirk as well just was wondering how the bite was! Thank goodness I have experience on th great lakes as I fish Ontario often..so dually noted on the weather but looks good so far for this weekend just some rain...
    I plan on hitting Dunkirk here soon myself. Good luck!

3. Member
    How far are you guys traveling outside the harbor/bay at presque and dunkirk for smallies? I have a 17ft aluminum bass boat. We fished the bay several years ago and enjoyed it, but was considering traveling outside if the wind is flat. Obviously don't want to go too far though.

Quote Originally Posted by j-fox.4 View Post
    How far are you guys traveling outside the harbor/bay at presque and dunkirk for smallies? I have a 17ft aluminum bass boat. We fished the bay several years ago and enjoyed it, but was considering traveling outside if the wind is flat. Obviously don't want to go too far though.
    Depending on the time of year not far but I have went a good 7 or 8 miles if you google the bay and head east there is a ramp on the main lake with a breakwall and you would not have to go a mile either way from there to do ok sorry dont know the name of the ramp at this timef

That is Shades Beach. Usually sucks in mid june the couple of times i tried it. Just a few here and there. Dunkirk was better but i think early june is better than later june.

i went Sunday, to PIB, with my son. As usual, the place was slammed wall to wall with boats! Thompson bay was the same. Saw a few people catching bass in PIB, however not very many. The green guide boat and 7-8 others were stacked on the wall leading out to Thompson. Two guys doubled on nice smallies as we were driving by. Resisted the urge to "bent pole" fish like 90% of the people in the bay. Lots of bass on beds,with a tremendous number of people illegally sight fishing. We caught 22 total and one walleye. Mix of smallies and LM. Water temp was 65 degrees, no sun and very foggy. Stayed on the water till 730p. That place is worse each time i go. Probably wont go again, even tho we managed to catch what we did.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

6. Member
    Shes being tough right now, we wrangled up 43 yesterday and so far today we are at 22

Quote Originally Posted by KHNC View Post
    That is Shades Beach. Usually sucks in mid june the couple of times i tried it. Just a few here and there. Dunkirk was better but i think early june is better than later june.

i went Sunday, to PIB, with my son. As usual, the place was slammed wall to wall with boats! Thompson bay was the same. Saw a few people catching bass in PIB, however not very many. The green guide boat and 7-8 others were stacked on the wall leading out to Thompson. Two guys doubled on nice smallies as we were driving by. Resisted the urge to "bent pole" fish like 90% of the people in the bay. Lots of bass on beds,with a tremendous number of people illegally sight fishing. We caught 22 total and one walleye. Mix of smallies and LM. Water temp was 65 degrees, no sun and very foggy. Stayed on the water till 730p. That place is worse each time i go. Probably wont go again, even tho we managed to catch what we did.
    Thanks I knew it was by Shades just did not know the ramp was called that

Quote Originally Posted by Reelstruggle View Post
    Shes being tough right now, we wrangled up 43 yesterday and so far today we are at 22
    Are those numbers from ripping bass off of beds or actually catching them?
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    was wondering same thing...???...as easy as it is to "catch" them, why take them off a bed?

10. Member
    Yea I keep hearing that pib is super crowded this time of year so I figured I would just head out and fish my way from the mouth east and see what I could come up with..I dont mind rubbing rails with boats if we are catching fish but having never been there before and no more convinced notions on how to catch them ima just roll with the punches and see what I can come up with..plus my guide buddy threw me a bone on some info so I'll let you know how it goes

11. Member
    So where do the majority of people launch..what's the easiest/ most convenient? Was looking at the east ave boat ramp right outside..but not sure what ths norm is...

So where do the majority of people launch..what's the easiest/ most convenient? Was looking at the east ave boat ramp right outside..but not sure what ths norm is...
    West Pier is probably the most popular in the bay if you get there real early parking is good but if you get there late on a busy day can be tough. When you driving on the main road into the bay there are few other smaller ramps that you will drive by that I have used that work well also. I have never launched from East Ave so can't speak for that one.

13. Moderator
    Vince Dart- Jim Thorpe PA

14. Member
    I like launching out of Lampie on the main lake nice ramp and plenty of room to park. only trouble is if lake is rough

15. Member
    Yea I was looking at lampe bc I def want to fish outside the bay..might make my way a good distance east so that looked good on the map

16. Member
    Yea I was looking at lampe bc I def want to fish outside the bay..might make my way a good distance east so that looked good on the map
    if your going to fish the main lake Shades beach is the best you can go east or west and it not a far run to get on some good fishing.

17. Member
    Yea figured I would start inside and then make my way towards shades beach..how far of a run is it up to shades on the water?

18. Member
    Dumb questions but..are pa and ny licenses reciprocal on erie?

19. Member
    Yea figured I would start inside and then make my way towards shades beach..how far of a run is it up to shades on the water?
    From Lampie to Shades is somewhere around 6 miles.

20. Member
    It’s illeGal or not your preference?
    Matthew 6:33
    2020 921elite

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast