Question Prop/Setup Suggestions

I tried posting in the Prop Section but didn't get a reply. Maybe someone here will be able to help with some suggestions?

I'm looking for a new prop and also an idea of what height to set me jackplate at.

Current Setup:
    '97 Stratos 282
    2012 Etec 200 2.6l
    6" manual jackplate set at 3.25" below pad
    24 Raker II
    Loaded with 2 guys I hit 62mph at 5900rpm

The hole shot is..okay and top speed should be better in my opinion. I'm going to move the jackplate around and see what happens, just looking for some ideas now. I'm not sure if the plate needs to go up or down at this point with all the slip I am getting at WOT, there is little to no rooster tail. I would like to bring my RPM down to the 5600-5800 range.

2. Pat Goff
    Right now, you're getting a ton of prop slip, raising the motor will only make that symptom worse.
    Rakers are typically in need of a loving hand laid to them, 8 out of 10 need work.
    Advice?
    One aspirin at a time, get your prop worked then see what you've got.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I will try lowering the jp then to see if my slip goes down before sending the prop to get worked as I may need to go up in pitch. The only reason I was thinking I need to go up was it felt like I needed alot of positive trim to get the boat out of the water. But as you said that could just be the prop needing work as well.

4. Member
    You need a lot of trim to lift the boat because the prop is slipping so much. If the prop is hooked up it can lift the hull much easier. You will likely see better lift by lowering the engine and will lose rpm but then you won’t be running at its peak efficiency.

5. Member
    Get the prop worked lowering the motor won't help the speed it will just slow you down.

Update: I tried a buddy's known good 24Raker that he had worked by Mark Croxton and it ran very similar to my prop so I was able to confirm although the prop may not be perfect (looks perfect with no dings in it) it's also not bad. I finally got my NMEA2K hooked up through my Lowrance HDS and turns out my analog Tach is a long ways off! I thought I was turning 5900 rpm but it was only 5400 rpm. I then moved the jackplate up to 3" below pad and with 2 people, a 72lb dog, full tank of gas (35 gal?) and full wells I was able to hit 62mph at 5550rpm and had 26-27psi water pressure. I was happy with those results however I did move the jackplate up another quarter inch and will test again as I would like to get my rpm between 5600 and 5800 rpm.

I also have a general question. Typically in the same boat and same setup if you run heavy would your ptp generally be higher or lower than someone who runs light in the same boat/setup? The reason I ask is I do run pretty heavy, I almost always have 3/4 to a full tank of gas, 2 group31's, 1 group 27, and a fair bit of tackle and rods up front.

7. Pat Goff
    The boat will tell you what it wants.
    Running flat? No lift? High rooster tail? Stiff steering?
    You’re too high

Steering numb? Boat acting light? Rpms low? No tail?
    You’re too low.

Boat setup is simple. Take it too far and bring it bac. You need to know what too high is and you need to know what too low is. The only way you find just right.

Internet advice is well meaning but usually wrong because what you hear is I do this with this and has little bearing on exactly what you’re running. And to confuse matters no two hulls, motors, loads and especially props are identical.

Rakers are notorious for being inconsistent we’ve taken ten new props out of the box and gotten ten different results.

Gotta put in the time to find your happy place.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>