1994 2.0 MERC or 1994 2.5 Mariner?

Folks

It turns out that I am having to repower my Procraft 180 pro. It had an xr4 on it, and within my budget I have found a super clean low hour good compression 1994 model 2.0 black max. It appears to be very clean, Owner states low hours, transom busted in his old boat and he has purchased a new rig. This motor is bolted to a stand and has been inside of a shop.

The 2.5 liter is a Mariner Mag III that is still bolted to the boat, includes hydraulic steering and hotfoot with cables. My concern about this motor is that the boat, and Hydrasport, looks to be in terrible condition. However, the owners are an elderly and a tree fell on the boat. They claim compression is good and motor will fire right up.

The 2.0 is a 4 hour drive, the 2.5 is about half of that distance.

I know the 2.5 makes more torque, however the 2.0 "appears" to be in better shape and I don't have to remove it from the boat it was on. I can go and pick it up and drive back home.

Thoughts?
    Josh Pope, Realtor, Tutt Land Company

2. Member
    I would opt for the 2.5 that includes the steering if it checks out to be good. The 2.0 is basically a 135 and would be under powered for your rig. My bud is running a 2.0 on his 91 17 1/2 ranger and is running low 50's. If you're ok with the lower speeds you should be good. But that hydraulic steering used will cost 6-800 bucks.