At Rest / Side to Side Stability question

Specifically my question is regarding being on the front deck, TM Down, moderate waves/chop (from wind/wakes/whatever) coming at you from the SIDE. NOT people walking around, that is a different force/movement.

I have noticed this to be one of the VERY few slightly negative trade-offs with my Cat; this side to side stability in chop is simply not as good as some others, specifically Ranger (don't hate, that's one of their few advantages LOL).

I'm not willing to give up ALL the other great features of my BCB, Rick and company, nor my awesome local dealer to fix this one relatively minor issue.

SO, I'd like to hear some opinions, ideally from those with actual experience :), as to which BCB are LESS subject to the side to side rocking (vertical actually) specifically as a result of chop.

I am most interested in a comparison between Eyra, Cougar/Puma, Lynx & Classic but welcome all comments.

The default assumption is that if a given boat is heavier and/or bigger or wider that it will be less subject to this motion. While that is sometimes true it is NOT the correct correlation! That does correlate strongly with the persons moving around on the deck stability issue but that vertical movement at the edges resulting from chop from the side *appears* to be much more related to hull shape and similar factors.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Member
    I have an older Ranger and a 2018 Basscat Pantera Classic. My 1985, 17' 340v has less movement than the BassCat in side-to-side chop. It just does. With that said... ask me which one I'd rather go out in on any given day! (hint... I think you know).

Rangers.. in general, sit more lateral surface of the hull in the water whether running or still, and they sit down very close to the flare up front. This provides a lot of lateral stability. The Pantera Classic is a more sleek, slick, blazingly fast (not wide) hull that carries the width it does have all the way up front. It rides through chop like an offshore hull. You can take one look at the P Classic hull and expect more side-to-side movement with both bodies moving and outside forces. If you're fishing from the middle of the deck, it is less noticeable.

I'm hoping BCB can come along and correct any ignorance I have about their hulls. I do love the boat! - seams like their wider hulls will be what you want.

3. Member
    I have a 2016 Puma and it will have more movement as you describe than my son's Ranger 364. But, my Puma will lift and "run" whereas the Ranger "plows". Earlier in life I had a 2000 Ranger 520 VX. Great boat, but it "plowed" as well. There has never been, nor will ever be a perfect bass boat. All have a compromise of some sort, yes even the "clean sheet of paper", Vexus has compromises.

4. Member
    Totally agree with both. Just trying to determine if there is one BCB vs another BCB that is better/worse, in any meaningful way, in regards to this particular minor nuisance.

I think the deep keel on the front of BC boats plays a role here....this same deep keel is what provides great "cutting" ability through waves to give a smooth ride in rough water......but it leads to the above when the TM is down. Other boats will have a much flatter keel which leads to slamming/plowing in rough water and not cutting but may lead to better side to side stability as more surface area is displaced...my observations on it at least.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    I think the deep keel on the front of BC boats plays a role here....this same deep keel is what provides great "cutting" ability through waves to give a smooth ride in rough water......but it leads to the above when the TM is down. Other boats will have a much flatter keel which leads to slamming/plowing in rough water and not cutting but may lead to better side to side stability as more surface area is displaced...my observations on it at least.
    That is EXACTLY my take as well, only you said it much better LOL. I am just wondering if there are any noticeable differences between BCB models in that regard. I spend very little time in big/bad water and every BCB I have ever been in handles what I would go out in great; so if there is one that is a little better in that side to side regard with the TM down then perhaps it might be one I want to look at for my next kitty!

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robertl69 View Post
    That is EXACTLY my take as well, only you said it much better LOL. I am just wondering if there are any noticeable differences between BCB models in that regard. I spend very little time in big/bad water and every BCB I have ever been in handles what I would go out in great; so if there is one that is a little better in that side to side regard with the TM down then perhaps it might be one I want to look at for my next kitty!

Thanks!!
    I would imagine the Jaguar, Lynx and Caracal are better than the "narrow" deck Cougar, Puma, Eyra, Pantera Classic, Pantera 2. I know my new to me Pantera 4 is MUCH more stable compared to my 1996 Pantera Classic (it is much wider up front as well).
    Last edited by basshole51; 05-09-2019 at 12:32 PM.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

8. Member
    As stated above, I believe the new Jag, Lynx, and Caracal would be your more stable platforms. Width definitely plays a part in stability to a point, but hull design is big player.
    Look at pics of Rangers on pad. From the Keel back, it loses most of its V. This is one of the attributes that add to its flat fishing stability. Its also a reason it will beat your back into submission in the rough stuff while running on pad.
    Skeeter has the rear pontoons to assist its stability.

One of the best known rough water Bass Boats is a Champion, its also a known fact the side to side stability was not its strong point.
    There is give and take in every design.
    The Lynx (I can't speak for the new designed Jag yet) and Caracal were both designed toward rough water eating hulls, stability, while still maintaining as much of BCB's performance as possible. If Stability is your goal while maintaining much of BCB's other attributes, the Jag, Lynx, and Caracal are the models to check out.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

9. Member
    Love my Eyra but I knew when I bought it the stability with the tm down wouldn't be close to my old Z20, but it accels in every other aspect. I would guess the longer cats would be more stable my Eyra rocks a bit.

10. Member
    Thanks for all the replies guys.
    Tight lines

11. Member
    Back in my younger days I had a few champion boats and really didn’t mine the side to side motion only because I love the ride and the handling then I tried ranger.Then 2005 switch over to basscat and had couple of p2s and really liked them till I took a bump on the ole head and just couldn’t keep my balance. So I figured I needed a bigger boat and was talking to Sherm of Sherms Marine and he said maybe I should check out the Caracal. Well I did and it fits the bill. If your worried about side to side stability check this thing out. We just fish the owners tx at beaver lake with 360 boats no problems fishing from it. I still have balance problems but I don’t feel like I’m falling out of the boat.

We don’t feel the 340 V is more stable than the Pantera Classic, it also is that characteristic narrow beam with a wider top cap and outside rub rail offset, which places you more central than a wider beam boat hull. The difference is you don’t move outwards more on the narrower hull.

We appreciate the comments in the ride difference and to compare a late 1980’s product to a 2018 and newer Pantera Classic is almost unfair to the competitive company. Though they don’t really make a smaller product today as they have leaned towards aluminum boats.

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by NoZero View Post
    I have an older Ranger and a 2018 Basscat Pantera Classic. My 1985, 17' 340v has less movement than the BassCat in side-to-side chop. It just does. With that said... ask me which one I'd rather go out in on any given day! (hint... I think you know).
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZero View Post

Rangers.. in general, sit more lateral surface of the hull in the water whether running or still, and they sit down very close to the flare up front. This provides a lot of lateral stability. The Pantera Classic is a more sleek, slick, blazingly fast (not wide) hull that carries the width it does have all the way up front. It rides through chop like an offshore hull. You can take one look at the P Classic hull and expect more side-to-side movement with both bodies moving and outside forces. If you're fishing from the middle of the deck, it is less noticeable.

I'm hoping BCB can come along and correct any ignorance I have about their hulls. I do love the boat! - seams like their wider hulls will be what you want.

The longer the hull surface the more stable and while a Bass Cat hull is a transitional Vee hull to the bow and cutting Vee, the rear is a flatter surface than most bass hulls and they give rear stability. The Vee makes it almost a triangle in the water and that’s from the turnout channel, turning waves and water out from the chines on, to give a dry ride, on to the radical frontal Vee that digs into the forward waves and gives that front slicing ride.

The more forward those outside hull sides corners and flats come, the more stable on the bow fishing, and the more wetted surfaces with water chasing up the hull on those windy days, blowing it back in your faces. There’s not one more stable than the almost square bottom of our original Deluxe Tournament hull in 1971. No matter where you stood it was crisp and flat, and not great in big water.

Of course the mentioned former Wrangler style pumpkin seed hulls of a Champion hull definitely are not going to give stability, dry ride or many aspects sought after today, they do ride well because they ride down in the water. The added short outside turning chine was copied from the original DLX Tournament hull and that was one of the key features for turning the originator of Champion preferred about his “Cat” hull. We dropped that turning strake in 1974 as it caught in the water also while turning sharp and it turned over a boat or two. The Hybrid remains an attempt to bridge some of those aspects with some added stability and turnout channel.

BCB

I don't find the fishing stability of my Jag an issue All hulls are a series of compromises. BCB does a great job of finding the balance between all the variables to produce a great hull.

Hurry up! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The longer the hull surface the more stable and while a Bass Cat hull is a transitional Vee hull to the bow and cutting Vee, the rear is a flatter surface than most bass hulls and they give rear stability. The Vee makes it almost a triangle in the water and that’s from the turnout channel, turning waves and water out from the chines on, to give a dry ride, on to the radical frontal Vee that digs into the forward waves and gives that front slicing ride.

The more forward those outside hull sides corners and flats come, the more stable on the bow fishing, and the more wetted surfaces with water chasing up the hull on those windy days, blowing it back in your faces. There’s not one more stable than the almost square bottom of our original Deluxe Tournament hull in 1971. No matter where you stood it was crisp and flat, and not great in big water.

Of course the mentioned former Wrangler style pumpkin seed hulls of a Champion hull definitely are not going to give stability, dry ride or many aspects sought after today, they do ride well because they ride down in the water. The added short outside turning chine was copied from the original DLX Tournament hull and that was one of the key features for turning the originator of Champion preferred about his “Cat” hull. We dropped that turning strake in 1974 as it caught in the water also while turning sharp and it turned over a boat or two. The Hybrid remains an attempt to bridge some of those aspects with some added stability and turnout channel.

BCB

16. Member
    If you have a new Jag, of COURSE you don't worry about stability. Any more than you would worry about stability standing on the front deck of the USS Gerald Ford. :)
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    If you have a new Jag, of COURSE you don't worry about stability. Any more than you would worry about stability standing on the front deck of the USS Gerald Ford. :)
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Yeah but those 340 v boats were badass rockets....

The hybrid seems to be more of a experiment at this point. Been talked about for years it seems. I can't see anymore than 5-6 per year on a production line.

But obviously I'm not very bright when it comes to boats, trailers and the industry in general. I own that....

Mark me up for the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyra1 View Post
    Yeah but those 340 v boats were badass rockets....

The hybrid seems to be more of a experiment at this point. Been talked about for years it seems. I can't see anymore than 5-6 per year on a production line.

But obviously I'm not very bright when it comes to boats, trailers and the industry in general. I own that....

20. Member
    There are several ways to improve stability at trolling speeds. Wider hull. Heavier hull. Old style tai-hull boats that had sort of sponsons to the left and right of the keel to provide more effective wetted width up front. Of course, all of those have a negative impact on top end which is where most seem to focus their attention. Rangers have lots of things that are good, but speed is NOT one of those things. As always, it is about priorities. I prefer a dry ride, that is not kidney-busting in wind-blown lakes, highly maneuverable at both low and high speeds, etc. I'm willing to tolerate a small amount of longitudinal roll to optimize the other facets of operation.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200