Element start up problem

After getting everything wired correctly, getting the basic things input and taking a quick look my son and I decided to take it to the local lake and get familiar with the unit. On the water it simply stayed in a loop of the lighthouse and element start up pages. Wouldn't turn off, nothing. I had to unplug the unit to power it down. Kinda frustrating being a consumer beta tester, but that has become the norm with most electronic products. I'm NOT here to bad mouth Raymarine, I simply want to get the product up and running properly. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Shea

2. Member
    It's plug and play with no complaints that I am aware of.

Battery voltage?

3. Member
    That was an initial problem, I ended up wiring it directly to the battery with an inline fuse to get consistent voltage. Checked all that out before I got to the lake, it even powered up, went to the home screen. Found an online manual that has 82 pages, there is a trouble shooting section. Getting online and downloading an update isn't doable since it won't come off the start up loop. The only other option is a reset. Woof!! I don't have anything to lose, so I'll try that unless someone knows of something else.

Shea

4. Member
    The only other thing that I can think of is to remove the map card and try to boot it. That should not make it hang on bootup but it is worth a try.

5. Member
    Thanks for the idea, I'll try that before I do a reset. It'll be a day or two.

Shea

6. Member
    I finally had to do it in the driveway, couldn't get to the lake before Saturday. Took the card out and tried the reboot option first, no go. Then I did the reset option. Came on and worked fine. Didn't unhook anything, I'll be on the water Saturday and figure it out some more then.

Shea

7. Member
    I’ve chased “Raymarine” problems that have eventually been traced back to a corrupt chart cards.

8. Member
    I'm easy going, just want it to work. I did put the card back in after it had proven that it would work again. I'm going to post more questions.

Shea

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig34 View Post
    I’ve chased “Raymarine” problems that have eventually been traced back to a corrupt chart cards.
    OK, how do you know if the card is corrupt? Process of elimination?

Shea

10. Member
    Pull the card out. If it works fine without the card but acts up when the card is in, then you have a bad card

11. Member
    I decided to keep adding my information here instead of a new thread. The good, when it works, it's awesome. Period. I know I have a ways to go to use it as efficiently as I would like, but so far it's good.

The bad, it started when I got to the lake, had the Nav card in, decided to take a screenshot to see what the process would be. It shut off, bam. Wouldn't come back on with the card in. Pulled the card, got it going again, it shut off again within 5 minutes. Made sure all power connections were secure, pulled the fuse, unplugged the unit. It came back on and started to work fine. In less than an hour it shut off again. Checked everything again, nothing. It wouldn't restart for approximately 5 hours this time. It was very frustrating. Finally on a whim I hit the power button again and it came back on. Everything was working perfectly for a while. This time the only issue was the transducer. Readings would be very consistent and then they would lock up and only show a set depth number for a while. I would check to make sure the transducer wasn't covered with junk and such and clean off as necessary. That never seemed to help. My son noticed, and I'm not sure it mattered, that most of the time when the display was wonky the gps fix was in red. I wouldn't think that to be an issue, but it's information. I'll take any help at this point. I'm trying to be somewhat positive, but Saturday was not a high point. With me using this information trolling it's very important to have this working so that I can dial in the unit and learn it's uses. My wife, the fiscally conservative one, told me at 1 am Sunday morning (when we got home), to get rid of it and get one that works if it persists in being an issue. That's rare.

Shea

12. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    What kind of watercraft do you have and how is your battery? Do you have it on a stand alone battery or connected to the cranking or trolling motor battery? Did you run all new wires back to the battery? What gauge wire? What switches is it going thru?

we need more details to make sure it’s not a power issue first.
    Units will shut down when the voltage gets to a certain point.

13. Member
    18' Crestliner. The unit is hooked up to the cranking battery, which was replaced last year and maintained. Wired straight to the battery with 14 gauge, 5 amp fuse in line. Unit and gauge on console show anywhere from 13.9-15.2 volts when running. I'm pretty sure I set an alarm for the low voltage at 11.5. I still plan on going back over the wiring today or tomorrow to make sure it's good.

Shea

14. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Is the unit updated with the latest software 3.9.40 it came out in April.

15. Member
    Not sure, I'll check when I get home this evening.

Shea

16. Member
    Nope, I'm at 3.8.66. Crap, something else I have to do. I know for some it's simple. I have to get the unit, with power (it'll have to stay on the boat), and go somewhere I can get enough of a data signal on my mobile device to turn it into a hot spot, then get online to perform the update. That's a pain. Well, I guess i can get that figured out before I get home this evening.

Shea

17. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    That might fix your issue.

18. Member
    Element doesn’t have WiFi. The update need to go on a microSD card. mSD into the unit for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Jig34 View Post
    Element doesn’t have WiFi. The update need to go on a microSD card. mSD into the unit for the update.
    ^^^^THIS may fix your whole problem. ASLO, you could put your mapping chip into your computer and run a "defrag" on it to correct a file problem. Or, send it in to Navionics to be re-programed. It's a PITA, but on a Raymarine, it's worth the effort !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents