Thread: Erie Report?

Erie Report?

Anyone been out around the islands yet, or even in the bay for smallies or largemouth? Just wondering if they're biting yet, water temp and clarity. Thanks.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Weather has been way too nasty for me to be out on the lake, except for this past Monday [when I had a ton of other stuff to do]. And this weekend looks like more of the same: windy from the NE, rain, and barely 50 degrees. With tons of rain and wind, the cold water discourages me from trying Sandusky Bay at this time. I have been in East and West Harbor. There are some largemouth biting there, but it’s far from hot action yet. Water temps have been in the low 50s, and clarity varies according to the direction of the wind. Again, Sandusky Bay, being pretty wide open to wind from every direction, has to be dirty. We’ve had only a handful of days since ice-out with wind under 15 mph. When we get 3 warm days in a row, it should break loose!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    they been slammin' them in East and West harbors.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eriedude View Post
    they been slammin' them in East and West harbors.
    I was there today. Must be one of those “should have been here yesterdays.” We fish there a lot, like 30 times a year, and took 5 hours to catch 10 keepers between two of us. For mid-May, on Erie, that’s not what we consider slamming them. Still, anything is possible if you truly believe.

5. Member
    Fished Kelly's Island on Monday. Water 48 degrees fished 5 hours by myself and caught 14 Smallies 2 sheapshead and 2 walleyes.
    Only 2 rods on deck both with blade baits. Was a Great day.
    1997 Ranger 482vs
    2013 150HO Etec
    Bassmaster Classic Edition

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Monday was by far the best weather day of the week, when of course I had a dozen other needful tasks to complete. Sounds like you hit the jackpot. Yesterday it was 55 degrees all day, which sounds fine except when you have heavy overcast and 15-25 mph wind. Not the worst I’ve fished by a long shot, but could have been a whole lot nicer. Told my companion that we needed to aim for practice days in the low 50s and spitting rain, because all of our tournament days so far have been exactly those conditions.

7. Member
    Sorry about your luck jc. Guess I should have said We've been slamming them . That's me and a lot of my friends but we've been here 35 years. Oh and the weights were pretty good at the last GLLS with a all but one boat getting a limit. AND it took 10 lbs plus for the new 2 fish Trophy series to win.

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Slamming certainly means different things to different people. I have several friends who fish GLLS, so I am up to date on their catches. Just don’t want the guys who drive from Columbus, Cincinnati, or Alabama to get the idea that 100-fish days have been a slam dunk so far this year. After all, a 5-fish limit in the harbors is not noteworthy. And that’s for 2 anglers in 8 hours. Once we figured out the fish [or it simply warmed up a little] last Thursday, I’m pretty sure we’d have caught 15-20 keepers in 8 hours between the two of us. Better than our last catch on Alum Creek, but not slamming.