My 184 DCR VS 1989 201 DCR VS 202 Questions

I have the opportunity to buy a 1989, 201 DCR w/ a 200hp Mariner at a pretty good price. It needs some cleaning, sanding and polishing but I don't think it'll take much to make it shine. I haven't looked at it in person yet, it's 4.5 hrs away.

I already have a '91, 184 DCR w/ a Pro-V 175 Yamaha that'll run 65 consistently.

Questions are...

Would I be gaining anything at all over my 184? Ride, speed, etc.

Will a properly set up 201 run with a 202 speed wise with equal hp motors? Are they even close to the same hull?

What is the correct jack plate and prop for the 201/ 200hp Mariner combo.

Is a single axle trailer OK for a 20' boat?

What's the gas tank capacity on a 201?

I've already been down the rotten transom road with mine and I'll check this one out a lot better if I decide to buy it.

What is it worth in fair condition with old/outdated everything?

Thanks
    Brian

2. Member
    201 will outride a 184.

201 will not run with a 202, hp to hp. Tank in my 89 201 is 31 gallons. My 201 has a single axle. Doesnt bother me one bit. Previous Charger 200T I owned was on a single also. Actually same trailers, both TIs. Both pulled great. 6 inch plate for a 201/200.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    My 201 is also on a single axle trailer, it has been all over the south east no problems. It may not be as fast as a 202 but rides just as well IMHO. The 202 has a wider pad than the 201 and is a bit wider. The 184 is a fun boat to drive but the 201 will be easier to drive and handles the rough stuff better due to length. With the 200 HP motor I had on mine it was a solid 65 MPH boat. Mine has a 32 gallon tank, I didn't opt for the 18 Gallon auxiliary tank and kept the under seat storage and cooler between the seats and also the dual rear livewells.

4. Member
    201>184 more deck space, better ride and possibly more storage
    1995 ChampioN 190 1995 Mercury 200 XRI Lowrance Ghost

5. Member
    I found out it has the auxiliary gas tank so that gets rid of the under seat storage and cooler. That's kind of a deal-breaker for me but I'm still thinking about it. I'm waiting on more pictures before I take the drive to go to look at it.

Thanks to all who responded.

What would be the correct prop for this setup?

6. Member
    I don’t think the 201 would be an upgrade over your 184. I don’t know what it is about the 184, and truthfully it may be emotions playing tricks on me, but that boat just has an “it” thing that is classic.

It’s the right combo of beam and length. It’s just balanced so well, and really fun to drive, and fun on the trolling motor as well. I loved my 202 as well, it was fast and fun in its own way, and I love my 203’s that I have now.

But- the 1987 single console 184 we had is still my favorite boat of all time. I didn’t realize it then, wanted the bigger dual console boat so bad, but ever since trading it I’ve had little tinges of regret from time to time...