1998 2.5 200 EFI Battery Question Serial # 0G627835

Engine serial number is 0G627835

This season I have installed more electronics on my boat and want to upgrade to a bigger battery. I have 4 Lowrance units to power now. I have an HDS12, 2 HDS 9s, and an HDS 7. I plan to add power poles as well. I now have the group 24 cranking battery, I can fit a group 27 and possibly a group 31.

I know this motor does not have an alternator and uses a stater charging system. I am looking for a battery to power all my pumps and electronics all day. I have read different things but I think I need to stay away from AGM type batteries. Can I use a deep cycle wet cell battery such as the ones sold under the Duracell brand from Sam's club??

Thanks for your input

2. Member
    Not recommended to use deep cycle, Sams club sells a Duracell Commercial starting battery in size 31 that would probably work, 950 CCA.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    Is this the one you are talking about??

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durace...lp_product_1_1

My only concern is this battery is labeled as being maintenance free..... not sure if a maintenance free battery is ok to use with a stator/regulator engine.

Thanks

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Should not use Deep Cycle, Maintenance Free, AGM or Lithiums with this engine's charging system.

Traditional WET cell (ie: You can remove caps and check electrolyte level) battery is best. There are some 31 series Commercial batteries out there that fit this description (and a few 825-850 CCA 24 series, though they're becoming harder to find).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I found this one...... I think this is a good choice......

https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...up-27m/sli27ma

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That should do the trick.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thank you

8. Member
    Are the current batteries listed as maintenance free, actually maintenance free? They still have caps that can be removed and water added. They aren't totally sealed like the older ones, green eyed batteries. I've seen them listed as "maintenance free under normal conditions".

9. Member
    I'd be wary of the reserve capacity to run all your electronics/poles etc, with that battery.

10. Member
    I think many of the batteries listed as “maintenance free” truly aren’t, it’s more of a marketing label. If the battery has removable caps then I treat them as non-maintenance free. That’s my personal opinion not necessarily how Mercury or others would view it.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

11. Member
    It doesn't look like this battery has caps....... https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durace...lp_product_1_1

Are they under the label??

12. Member
    You’re right it may not.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

13. Member
    Is there a group 31 with caps that is a starting battery, not deepcycle?? I think a group 31 would be best for all the electronics.

14. Member
    I believe NAPA sells a big group 31 wet cell "commercial" battery that may have potential for you. Here's a link: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP7237

15. Member
    That is the same battery as the Duracell mentioned earlier, that looks like it’s maintenance free with no removable water covers.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

16. Member
    good info here on the efi charging system,pays to put the right battery in them thanks bbc

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCastillo View Post
    It doesn't look like this battery has caps....... https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durace...lp_product_1_1

Are they under the label??
    The holes is under the label you pull off.

18. Member
    I went and looked at that battery and ended up buying it..... you are right the caps are under the label.

19. Member
    Good to know, was looking at it myself.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay