Old 25p Tempest- 2013 250hp Pro XS

2013 Pro XS SN 2B013848. 415 hours. Model 1250P73BD. The prop on my boat is old. Has rough edges and a little ding on one blade. My TR21 jumps out of the hole, pulls hard, and runs 72mph at 5900 rpm. Prop shaft is 2" below pad. My question....if this prop was replaced or reworked, would I pick up mph? Are the rough edges and dings holding me back even if the RPM's and MPH are okay? If this was a new 25p Tempest, would I be seeing 74-75+mph? Trying to find out if $500 is worth the improved performance.
    Last edited by lakeseminole; 05-22-2019 at 09:42 PM.

2. Member
    I run a 27P Tempest Plus over 80MPH. Something is wrong if you can only turn a 25P at 5900 RPM. Are you giving the boat FULL trim? Do you have anchors, or the Ultrex trolling motor? Are you an experienced pilot that can control chine walk before it starts?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to read the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

In addition to the above, keep in mind that GPS Speed and SMARTCRAFT RPM'S are the accurate numbers to work from.

Also, if your prop is dinged up, it's likely not as efficient as it once was.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I run a 27P Tempest Plus over 80MPH. Something is wrong if you can only turn a 25P at 5900 RPM. Are you giving the boat FULL trim? Do you have anchors, or the Ultrex trolling motor? Are you an experienced pilot that can control chine walk before it starts?
    I use Smartcraft for RPM and GPS for speed. I am good at preventing any chinewalk. My old TR20 would want chinewalk like crazy starting around 62MPH and I could drive it to 75mph no problem. With this boat, I can nearly let go of the wheel at 70MPH and it doesn't want to fall off pad or walk at all; very little steering input is needed. I trim all the way up (9.5* smartcraft), but actually get better speed at 7.5*. No anchors or ultrex. And normal amount of tackle and rods and reels up front. Is there a formula for prop-slip or something I can use? Would raising the motor help raise the RPMs? I feel like a 250HP should set the rev limiter off on this boat/motor combination.
    Last edited by lakeseminole; 05-22-2019 at 09:59 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If you would, please take a moment to read the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

In addition to the above, keep in mind that GPS Speed and SMARTCRAFT RPM'S are the accurate numbers to work from.

Also, if your prop is dinged up, it's likely not as efficient as it once was.
    I think I corrected the missing info. Smartcraft and GPS is all I use. Compression on motor is within 2 psi on all cylinders. Holeshot to 60 mph is phenomenal. I'm wanting to know if a worn prop will cause low RPMs and low speeds. Or if raising the motor will help with RPMs and speed. I think that a 25p Tempest on this boat/motor should set off the rev limiter easily.

Gentlemen, thank you very much for any advice or info. I am humbled by the knowledge on this forum.
    Last edited by lakeseminole; 05-22-2019 at 10:13 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeseminole View Post
    I think I corrected the missing info. Smartcraft and GPS is all I use. Compression on motor is within 2 psi on all cylinders. Holeshot to 60 mph is phenomenal. I'm wanting to know if a worn prop will cause low RPMs and low speeds. Or if raising the motor will help with RPMs and speed. I think that a 25p Tempest on this boat/motor should set off the rev limiter easily.

Gentlemen, thank you very much for any advice or info. I am humbled by the knowledge on this forum.
    "Phenomenal" holeshot is puzzling, with the damage to your prop.
    A worn prop can cause low speeds, but generally not cause low rpms.
    You will see no gains above 2" PTP, IF you are truly at 2"PTP currently.

What lower unit do you have?
    Last edited by Savage; 05-23-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeseminole View Post
    Is there a formula for prop-slip or something I can use?
    http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

8. Member
    Why buy a new prop? If it's an A45 it's a good one, I would send out to get B&B'ed by Croxton

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

9. Member
    A45+100
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Its the Verado style. Not torque master. I cant remember the gear ratio off the top of my head.

11. Member
    1:75
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Member
    Do you have a Tempest, or Tempest Plus prop?

13. Member
    Tempest Plus. I just thought of something that might make sense. I haven’t check to see if my hot foot is adjusted properly. Would this explain the issues if it’s not?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Do you have a Tempest, or Tempest Plus prop?
    Tempest Plus

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mn_bowhunter View Post
    Why buy a new prop? If it's an A45 it's a good one, I would send out to get B&B'ed by Croxton
    What does A45 mean? The numbers on this prop are 48-XXXXXXXX
    1999 TR-21
    2013 Merc 250 ProXS
    S/N 2B013848 and Model 1250P73BD
    25p Tempest Plus

16. Member
    You don't have an "A45" prop, so disregard those comments.