Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MLF Stage 8 Lake Winnebago

https://www.postcrescent.com/story/n...ne/1116963001/

Not official yet via MLF, but the local news in Appleton, Wisconsin just posted this.

Looks like Stage 8 will be fishing Winnebago in Wisconsin.

I am looking forward to this as I live in the Fox Valley so it will be awesome to see how the best in the world fish our home waters!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwtaylor View Post
    https://www.postcrescent.com/story/n...ne/1116963001/

Not official yet via MLF, but the local news in Appleton, Wisconsin just posted this.

Looks like Stage 8 will be fishing Winnebago in Wisconsin.

I am looking forward to this as I live in the Fox Valley so it will be awesome to see how the best in the world fish our home waters!
    I assume mainly smallmouth type lake ? Never fished up north myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    If I remember from past BFL's its both. Should be interesting. Always happy to see new waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    No, mostly sheephead with the occasional bass or two.

It is actually a little bit of both. Offshore smallmouth schools could play a big factor, but when fishing offshore in the rocks, they will catch a ton of drum. I am sure the total weight of sheephead will outweigh the total weight of bass if they are fishing those rock reefs.

5. Member
    Lets not forget the very good Walleye fishing on that lake!

Doesn't factor into the weights, but still.

If they want to make it REAL interesting on this lake, why not institute a 2:00 minute penalty for any fish caught that isn't a Bass!

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin_7 View Post
    If they want to make it REAL interesting on this lake, why not institute a 2:00 minute penalty for any fish caught that isn't a Bass!
    Yes!!! Let’s make this even more of a reality tv show than it already is!! Lol

Interesting they pulled permits for Big Green Lake...guessing the article wasn't supposed to release that information as its likely the "{mystery" final lake round
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

8. Member
    Looking forward to seeing the trail up north, obviously the big reservoir lakes and rivers handle big tournaments better but one thing I enjoyed at least of the early MLF was watching them fish smaller bodies of water like when they were in Alpena, MI and Grand Rapids, MN on Pokegama. It’s just a different type of strategy. Hopefully WI shows out!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin_7 View Post
    Lets not forget the very good Walleye fishing on that lake!
    Ill bet during practice there will be several Walleye dinners had if its a good walleye fishery.

10. Member
    I’m curious with the time BASS spent on Mille Lacs the last couple years if MLF will fish up there. The MLF format could put up some high numbers there with the potential to have 50 fish days... maybe qualify on another lake and fish from 40 to championship on the big pond

It's one of the best systems in the state. Already this year there have been multiple 6lb class brown fish caught and weighed. This system has been in decline over the last 5 years but it started showing it's old colors last year and now this year she's really shining bright again! It can be won with green or brown fish or a mix. I've had many 100+ fish days out there and won lots of tournaments some days 10lbs for 5 other days 20lbs+ will win. I've taken 10th with 21lbs of 80+ boats that was a epic year! Bago itself is 130,000 acres and then you have the 3 main upper lakes plus the rivers so 50 mile runs see not out of the question. Come the time of the event the fish will all be post spawn which can be amazing or it can be stupid tough really not much in between on that time. So it will be a interesting one! Bago and the Wolf river will be where the majority of the brown ones come from and the green fish will be scattered from around the whole system.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    Interesting they pulled permits for Big Green Lake...guessing the article wasn't supposed to release that information as its likely the "{mystery" final lake round
    Thats just for the cup events, the tour events they know what lakes they are going to ahead of time

Should be fun to watch

14. Member
    Wow, how exciting. My son and I are looking forward to attending. It will be interesting to see how Green Lake is included. Both Green Lake and Winnebago are both a short distance for me. I wonder where the competitors will be staying.

Quote Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
    Thats just for the cup events, the tour events they know what lakes they are going to ahead of time
    gotcha. Thanks for clarifying!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

16. Member
    [QUOTE=dwtaylor;10256833]No, mostly sheephead with the occasional bass or two.

LOL! I'm sure there will be plenty of sheephead caught during the tournament. Winnebago is full of them.

17. Member
    I am surprised they haven't fished Mille Lacs yet.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    Wow, how exciting. My son and I are looking forward to attending. It will be interesting to see how Green Lake is included. Both Green Lake and Winnebago are both a short distance for me. I wonder where the competitors will be staying.
    I think a lot rent houses and split .

Quote Originally Posted by 218_fishing View Post
    I am surprised they haven't fished Mille Lacs yet.
    I think two reasons. The first is that, assuming it's like BASS, the local community or a local business has to pony up some cash for them to come. Second, I would have to believe they're a little worried about the wind canceling days of competition....As most Minnesotans and people who've visited Mille Lacs know, it isn't one where you can really get out of the wind if it starts blowing, and it can stack up big time out there. There are no lakes around there that are big enough for 40 boats in the event of a day or series of days where it blows 20 to 30. Of course plenty of options for the final day if it came down to that, but have to get there first.

Before anyone says there are other lakes that can hold 40 boats within a reasonable drive of Mille Lacs. I wouldn't disagree with that, but I heard or read somewhere - believe it was from Marty Stone's interview on BTL - that they wanted some surprisingly large (surprising to me, anyway) lakes for the days where they have 40 boats out there. I'm thinking he said over 10,000 acres. If that's the case, then there's nothing around Mille Lacs that's even close to that.

To be fair, I figured Mille Lacs or maybe even Minnetonka was a possible target, mostly because you had to believe they were going somewhere in the Midwest between Grand and La Crosse. Mille Lacs seemed more likely due to them presumably wanting some smallmouth action with the lack of smallmouth places they've fished this season so far, and probably to a greater extent because BASS events have already been held there. Minnetonka would've been neat to see, but would be tough with boat traffic on the weekends. Those guys could figure it out, I'm sure, and maybe even hit a different lake for Sunday. In any case, I think it all comes back to the communities and local businesses ponying up the cash.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

20. Member
    Makes total sense and there isn't much community support other than the tribes, also surprise the FLW hasn't been mention there has been a lot of pros fishing that lake in the past two years.

BS on the Lake size...
    1hr drive north and you would hit crosslake area the white fish chain of lakes that would 14K of fishing water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast