Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Catch Bass to put in private pond

Thoughts on bringing home bass (5 plus pounders) to put in private pond at my house? I would like to have a few in there to help weed out the smaller fish and not to mention fun to catch them again.

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Check local laws, some states it is illegal to do so and carries a hefty fine.

Catch a bunch of the smaller fish and have a fish fry....
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Yea usually transportation of water is a no-no. Per invasive aquatics. Look into buying some.

In the 70’s ( before we had zebra mussels or Asian carp) my son and I would turn a few big cats, Bass and Pike loose in a city park pond. Young kids were thrilled when they hooked into one.

5. Member
    Can’t transplant fish from one body of water to another. If you have a big population of small bass and it stunted the growth, go out and keep some of the smaller fish and have a fish fry
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    Can't transplant from a public body of water to another public, but you can put whatever you want in a private pond.

7. Member
    I really do not see the harm in releasing legally caught fish into your own private pond, do it and just don't tell anyone.

8. huskyjerk
    A friend of mine has brought numerous big LSC smallies to his backyard pond. Legal? No. Fun catching them? Yes!

9. idbefishing
    You can put whatever you want in private pond however, you’ll need a license to transport live game fish.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    Can't transplant from a public body of water to another public, but you can put whatever you want in a private pond.
    Laws vary from state to state. Can't legally transport fish here (except baitfish) without a permit. You can stock your farm pond with hatchery trout but I think you need a permit for that too. I expect there are considerations of what watershed the pond drains into.

11. Member
    As far as I know, if you catch fish legally, once you bring them to your property, rather you put them in a frying pan or your private pond makes no difference.

In the 80s I used to put some 4-6 LBers from a public lake to a friends pond. I never did fish his pond afterwards, but they enjoyed catching them several times again.

13. Member
    keep whatever you are legally aloud to keep..put in your pond... catch a bunch of the smaller fish in the pond and remove

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    You can put whatever you want in private pond however, you’ll need a license to transport live game fish.
    So your saying that if you keep your legal daily limit. In a livewell all day. Before You leave the ramp You have to kill them to bring them home to fillet? I want them fresh and alive when I fillet and release. Lol
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

15. Member
    I guarantee if I had a pond I would be doing it. Did it many times as a kid with catfish at a local lake. Would run to the local paylake and catch a bundle of cats. Had a sorta livewell built out of one of those black plastic truck boxes. Wasnt a long run so I didnt need any air system but always thought about building one. Fill it up with a 5 gallon bucket and off to the local lake they went. At the time the lake was stocking albino catfish. I probably put 300 cats in that lake over a few years. Was a trip watching someone fishing the bank catch one of those ghost white cats and trip out lol.

Go for it. Most everyone has done it in the past at some point. Winter or early spring would be my suggestion on when to do it. Definitely not in the summer.

17. idbefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    So your saying that if you keep your legal daily limit. In a livewell all day. Before You leave the ramp You have to kill them to bring them home to fillet? I want them fresh and alive when I fillet and release. Lol
    correcto! Messed up but it’s true

As long as you are willing to except the chance of transferring a disease to your pond and wiping out your current fish population, then have at it. But realize that most ponds with a stunted size and overpopulation is due to overpopulation of bream. A few large bass are not likely to correct that problem. See if your state fisheries offers pond inspection by a biologist and follow their advice.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    correcto! Messed up but it’s true
    Yep. Ca's law mentions transporting live fish.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    You weren't addressing me but here's how our law reads:

Bag Limit (All Fish): Any fish, except baitfish and smelts, taken from inland waters shall be immediately released alive into the water from which it was taken, or killed at once. Any fish killed becomes part of the daily bag limit (Title 12, §at that.).

There is no culling allowed in Maine unless you're in a registered bass tourney. I don't even know if my livewell works. They're trying to cut down on illegal stockings of bass, crappie, pike, etc. but hasn't been very effective at that

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast