Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New 2 cycle or new 4 Stroke 150 repower for an 18' charger ?

I have been pondering the notion of re-powering my boat for a minute. The '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS is just not performing like it should. I keep having issues I am trying to iron out and keep dumping money on little things here and there that are nickle and dime'n me left and right. So out of curiosity I started looking at the Mercury Pro XS 150 today online. For roughly $12-$13+k I could re-power with a 4 banger 4 Stroke that is probably a lot lighter than the 2.7L pig I currently have. If when re-powering is it always best to go with a new power plant if money or financing is available and is 4 stroke engines every bit as good or better than 2 cycle engines these days?

Then that also got me to thinking. I know the sticker on my boat says not to have more than 5 passengers and not to exceed the 500+ lbs rating as well as not to power the boat with a motor rated for more than 150 HP. Is the power plant in a boat a coast guard and legality concern or is it more for hull integrity and or insurance purposes?
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

2. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I wouldn't hesitate to put a new 2 stroke motor on a boat. That being said, I would rather have a new 4 stroke Mercury. Down side to that, it could be many months before you can get one, unless a dealer would happen to have one in stock. Mercury is way behind in motor production. Might consider an SHO, or Evinrude, if you go 2 stroke.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

3. Member
    Either one will be fine, question is which brand has a dealer and service center close by, that would probably help me make my decision.

For now I am just playing with the idea and trying to figure out which way to go if I end up needing a re power. 4 strokes do need valve adjustments and more maintenance as far as I under stand it but don’t require costly2 cycle oil with every gallon of fuel consumed. A lot of lakes also do not allow 2 cycle engines like Lake Tahoe. Not likely I’ll ever go bass fishing in Lake Tahoe but trolling for other species would be a nice change of pace from time to time.

Any one know about the motor size issue I asked about?
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 05-08-2019 at 10:01 AM.

5. Member
    Motor size from what I understand is by the boat manufacturer. They rate the size of motor to what the boat will be able to handle safely. Based on weight and power that the boat can handle.

Thank you Okieracing,

I did a google search this morning after asking again and came accross some information related to boat size and weight limits etc.

It's kind of an interesting read if any one is interested as it relates to the size of a boat and boats over 20'1" are not subject to horse power ratings by USCG but only by manufacture for liability reasons and as long as your insurance company knows about the power on the boat and is fine with it then it should not pose any problems if done correctly for boat larger than the 20'1" rule. Now smaller boats like mine opens up a can of worms I'm not comfortable getting my self in.

https://www.screamandfly.com/archive.../t-134614.html

7. Member
    Hell I’d look at a Suzuki 150SS too.

Why Suzuki. I am tired of the Suzuki I have with all it's random over heat alarms and don't want to buy another potential head ache chasing problems.

9. Banned
    Take a look at Honda,if you are shopping.The 3 people I know that own Honda 4 stroke really like them.

Rothwell marine has a 150ho G2 in stock right now. Youd love it.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

The DT150 BASS on the boat now is really heavy. I'm hoping to get away from the heavy engines. Fuel efficiency is important as well as hole shot and top end performance. Occasionally I will pull some kids on tubes etc and being able to go slow with out the front end pointing at the sky from a heavy engine is something I am considering as well. I'm hoping I get at least another season out of the engine I have. If I ever get it running correctly I may just sell it and go with a new engine but I'll have to start saving now which is not easy when you have a boat and a million other things on the want list that stretch your budget pretty thin. I know I sound wish washy but I am considering options and trying to figure out what would be best. If and once I determine a re-power is inevitable then I would at that point like to already have a good idea of what I want.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 05-08-2019 at 01:08 PM.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Point to ponder, do you plan on keeping the boat for an extremely long time? If you plan on selling your boat in the near future you'll never get a good return on investment. Another note I believe the CARB 3 star rated 2 strokes can be used in the western lakes.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    Why Suzuki. I am tired of the Suzuki I have with all it's random over heat alarms and don't want to buy another potential head ache chasing problems.
    The new Suzuki’s are much different than your 96 model. Just a thought, but by all means get what you’re comfortable with

You know I have never seen a jack plate that not only went up and down but also went in and out. It would be nice to have a jack plate that can be sucked into the transom to save space for parking in a tight garage. Just thinking out side the box. It would also make the engine ride and water level even more tune-able

Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    The new Suzuki’s are much different than your 96 model. Just a thought, but by all means get what you’re comfortable with
    Meah it's probably not Suzuki's fault this engine is having the problems it is having but reading about Basscat Kev's problem has pretty much scared me away from Suzuki in addition to them not supplying needed parts for rebuilding engines like mine makes me believe they are all about them and not the customer .02¢ take it with a grain of salt but that's my stance on the whole Suzuki issue. From every thing I have read when every thing is running the way it should Suzuki's last forever but they are said to be very finiky and if any thing goes wrong it can take the whole engine down with it very quick. Yes I have read about people who were lucky enough to have a Zuk and punished it for years and narry any problems. I have been nick named dark cloud because of my bad luck so I need all the good luck and help I can get on the next engine if this one decides to take a turn south and drop a deuce on me.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 05-08-2019 at 06:47 PM.

16. Member
    [QUOTE=basscat tyler;10257720]The new Suzuki’s are much different than your 96 model. Just a thought, but by all means get what you’re comfortable with[/QUOTE

True, but after I read BassCatKev's post on his horror story dealing with Suzuki.....I have no interest in dealing with Suzuki.

Unless you enjoy court rooms and attorneys, which I'm not opposed to, but I don't care to waste the time.

M

17. Member
    Good luck on your decision.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    You know I have never seen a jack plate that not only went up and down but also went in and out. It would be nice to have a jack plate that can be sucked into the transom to save space for parking in a tight garage. Just thinking out side the box. It would also make the engine ride and water level even more tune-able
    Mercury use to make the Para Lift jack plate that had 12" of height travel and 12" of set back travel. They come up for sale every once in a while on the Jack Plate Page. Very hard to find replacement parts... They never really went over well with the bass boat crowd... Dan

Thank you Dan, I had no idea those quick silver scissor lift style jack plates existed. Not what I was thinking but good to know they exist. :)

It would probably be pretty difficult to build what I’m thinking of with out cutting a hole in the transom for the in/out function of the hydraulics. When sucked in it would obviously have to be equiped with limit/safety switches so the jack plate will not go in any further than safe to do so unless the up/down position limiter has been met once it is sucked in beyond a safe limit that would cause damage to either boat, jack plate or both. It is doable but I don't think Many people would want to cut a hole in their transom for this added in/out jack plate feature.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 05-09-2019 at 12:05 PM.

20. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    In the 150HP size the new Mercury ProXS is a beautiful motor, but having an Etec myself I wouldn’t hesitate to put a 150 H.O. On your boat. The Gen 2 Etecs look good on the back of Chargers too! Technology can be a great thing, but as has been said you would have to intend on keeping your boat a pretty long time to repower with a brand new motor.

If you’re happy with your boat and can afford it, a new Pro XS or Gen 2 Etec H.O. Would be a huge improvement over what you have.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast