Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thank you Casslaw
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

2. Member
    i would say this, after having a custom built pontoon the service center is going to be the most important thing in your boat life. choose the motor by the best service center or your boat life could really suck

Mercury Pro XS 4 stroke. You will not regret it. Re-powering my 08'Triton was one of the best moves I ever made. Great engines.

More here... http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=984124
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

Thank you Old Bass Tard, I saw that thread after I posted this one. I just posted over there busting every one's balls ;)

Don’t even hesitate, new fourstroke!!!!
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

6. Member
    Im repowering with the mercury 4 stroke 150 pro xs this week. I'm replacing the original 175hp the boat came with. I wanted the new 175 4 stroke but the wait was to long. I'll post what happens.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

Mike I'm interested in hearing all about the experience. Like what all the expenses are, how you like it and if it lives up to your expectations.

8. Member
    Any new 2 Stroke engines are allowed on Tohoe. All makes of DI are allowed so not an issue.
    1994 Ranger 392
    1994 200 Johnson Venom Oops not any more
    2017 200ho G2
    The old girl has some serious kick now

9. Member
    I went to a new mercury 150 4s you dont necessarily need a Pro XS the regular 4 strokes will do. Those shouldnt be on back order I dont think?

10. Member
    Did you guys see the Video of Skeet Reese picking the guy out of the lake. He spun out on flat water in a Charger boat. The boat tipped over and sank for no reason. Just get a whole new boat if it was me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Mariner View Post
    Did you guys see the Video of Skeet Reese picking the guy out of the lake. He spun out on flat water in a Charger boat. The boat tipped over and sank for no reason. Just get a whole new boat if it was me.
    Dude you really need to send your negative vibes and ignorant posts elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    Dude you really need to send your negative vibes and ignorant posts elsewhere.
    How is this post all that negative and ignorant?

13. Member
    Thanks Al. It's because I swamped a 1979 Skeeter Wrangler in big waves on Lake Erie and floated "almost" level but upright for 3 hours before running the trolling motor by hand to shore. Up to our necks in waves. It never tipped over.

14. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    He ripped the top cap off and it never sunk in the video.Once the hull filled on that side it was way to heavy and rolled over.We have filled many chargers with water and never turned over or sunk.

He spun out on flat water in a Charger boat. The boat tipped over and sank for no reason. Just get a whole new boat if it was me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    Ignorant in the fact that there were Wakes involved, loss of control due to the operator letting go of the wheel under power while bouncing over the wake. So the water was not flat and it happened for a reason. The comments were based on opinion from something that happened and he did not have all the facts and was making a false statement about the facts of the event.

Negative in telling me or others not to own a charger boat because of an isolated incident that could have easily been avoided. I spun my boat out at full speed and did not tip over. I let go of the wheel at high rpm’s and the engine hooked a hard right turn at WOT. I considered my self lucky and learned from that experience but that did not make my boat bad because of operator error.

I have taken on many wakes in my nearly identical boat and in very choppy windy 4 to 6ft swelled waters full speed ahead and it rides the rough water like a champ. I skipped across big high wind rollers like it was nothing. Charger is a great boat IMO and I don’t need some one giving me negative input about the boat I own because of a recently isolated incident.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 05-22-2019 at 03:41 PM.

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post

Maybe because Mon Mariner was inferring that Delta Bass Fool should get rid of his rig and buy a new one and DBF happens to own a Charger?

17. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    And what does that comment have to do with a guy asking about a motor ?Dont make stupid remarks you have no clue about .

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    And what does that comment have to do with a guy asking about a motor ?Dont make stupid remarks you have no clue about .
    Now who was that aimed at?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    I have been pondering the notion of re-powering my boat for a minute. The '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS is just not performing like it should. I keep having issues I am trying to iron out and keep dumping money on little things here and there that are nickle and dime'n me left and right. So out of curiosity I started looking at the Mercury Pro XS 150 today online. For roughly $12-$13+k I could re-power with a 4 banger 4 Stroke that is probably a lot lighter than the 2.7L pig I currently have. If when re-powering is it always best to go with a new power plant if money or financing is available and is 4 stroke engines every bit as good or better than 2 cycle engines these days?

Then that also got me to thinking. I know the sticker on my boat says not to have more than 5 passengers and not to exceed the 500+ lbs rating as well as not to power the boat with a motor rated for more than 150 HP. Is the power plant in a boat a coast guard and legality concern or is it more for hull integrity and or insurance purposes?
    Sad to hear about you not being able to get your overheating problems fixed on your older DT 150. In terms of repowering, I wouldn't hesitate putting on a newer 4 stroke and not deal with 2 stroke oil ever again.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

I'm still working on it. It's a slow arduous process. I have not given up yet but I'm almost done messing with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast