Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question BEEPs are driving me crazy!! PLEASE HELP!! Thank you very much!

Merc 225 Pro XS Optimax 2015
    Serial # 2B110146

I purchased this used 2015 Ranger Z119 last fall. Boat is clean and motor runs strong.

The issue I'm having with the outboard always occurs when I move around at idle speed.

Whenever I move at idle speed for 6 - 8 minutes, I get 6 consecutive beeps in a row over a 5 second period (beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep). The beeps stop and the engine continues to idle along perfectly.

I've replaced the small oil tank and the oil pump that are the side of the engine, but the problem still persists.

It's driving me crazy trying to figure this out and I've lost any confidence that I had in the mechanics at the dealership. They have no clue what the issue could be.

I've attached the computer diagnostic printout that I got from my dealer.

Thanks in advance for your solutions and/or suggestions as they are GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Appears there may be an electrical problem in the Block Pressure Sensor (or the circuit FOR the Block Pressure Sensor). Need to be addressed as some 5V sensor problems can potentially cascade to other sensors and/or PCM circuits.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Star by changing the water pump. Water pressure is at .55 PSI

4. Member
    Thank you, can you explain what the block Pressure sensor does? I ask because I have had this to the marine dealer where I purchased the boat numerious time and they tell me nothing is wrong. All I I had that dealer replace the impeller out a month before the print out was run. I seem to be on my own in trying to resolve this anoying 5 sec beep.
    One more bit of info, I took the boat out tues to test the new oil pump and tank I installed. No leaks and boat ran nice, expect for the 5 sec 6 beeps. The last time it gave me the 5sec 6 beeps, I bumped the throttle maybe 100 to 200 rpm and it stopped at 3 beeps. That's all I know for know.
    Thanks for you help, Carl

5. Member
    Block pressure is water pressure. Your water pressure should be higher than .55 in gear.

6. Member
    Perhaps you have a thermostat or poppit stuck open. What are your temps?
    Dave Sheffield
    Proudly Representing:
    Bass Cat Boats
    Mercury Outboards
    MotorGuide Trolling Motors
    Ardent Outdoors
    Power Pole

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shef View Post
    Perhaps you have a thermostat or poppit stuck open. What are your temps?
    in the freeze frame data above starboard and port temps are 127 and 129 F.

8. Member
    I do not have a smart craft gauge, so I can only go by the print out. See attachment.
    With a new impeller already installed before the data sheet printout, what should the the water pressure range be at idle? Thanks everyone for chiming in. Carl

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The fault is indicating an ELECTRICAL problem with the sensor.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Question, On my Optimax 225 I see a sensor on the aft of the outboard that has a grey water line that plugs into one side and the wiring harness into the other side of the sensor. The grey water line then T's off with another grey water line that plugs into the aft side low on the block and runs along the port side and to the boats instruments. Is this water pressure sensor that you are referring to Mercury # 8M6000629. Last question, is there a screen behind the block plug where the grey water line attaches? Should I remove the plug and clean it. Any other suggestions or procedures I should follow would be appreciated. Thanks again for every ones help. Carl

11. Member
    Water pressure sensor is connected to the grey hose. There is no screen in the grey water line circuit.

12. Member
    Ok thank you, that is the sensor I am looking at, it is positioned at the aft and attached to the upper part of the coils bracket. I called Mercury to get the part number. In my previous reply the number on the sensor was 8M6000629, After calling Mercury they said their corresponding part number is 881879T11 and that sensor is for the speedo. Mercury customer rep said the water pressure sensor is part # 881879T26. It appears that maybe the wrong sensor was installed and maybe this is why the 5 second 6 beep alarm is sounding. Would it be possible for one of you experts to verify that this is the correct sensor I need, # 881879T26 before I order it. Thanks again for all your help, Carl

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    881879T26 is correct. Not sure where you obtained the other number... don't rely on numbers you "see" on parts or tags. Those are most commonly PRODUCTION numbers, and often do not correspond to any number you can actually "order".

14. Member
    MccoysZ119, I am very interested in the outcome of your situation.

I have a 2006 225 (non XS) Optimax, SN 1B276219, that is doing the same as your 225 ProXS. Will do a series of beeps, but only when at idle for several minutes. If I bump the idle up a few hundred rpm the beeps stop and the SmartCraft gauge clears the fault.

Very interested if you find a solution.

Thanks.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

15. Member
    Well here I am with an update. Thank you Don for verifying the water pressure sensor number. How I got the part # was I called Mercury and they gave me the part number. So this weekend I installed the new sensor, double checked the install on my new oil pump and oil tank. Today I took my Ranger Z119C to the lake. Lake water temp was l75 degrees, air temp upper 80's, just beautiful. I ran the boat on plane for about 15 mins, then decided to test to see if the 5 second/6 beeps sound. I idled around for 10 mins, no beep, I tried it again and no beep, I was a happy boater. I ran up the lake about 5 mins and did a little fishing. I idled out of the area and at the 8 min point the 6 beeps sounded, yes I was unhappy. I ran up the lake a little further and tied it again, at just about the 8 min point the beeped sounded, I tapped the throttle and the beeps stopped after the 3rd beep. I went up the lake for another 5 mins or so, and tired it again, this time I increased my idle rpm's to 1000 rpm's, after 10 mins no beeps. I fished a little again to break the frustration, then ran back down the lake and tried it again, this time after approx 8 mins I got irregular beeps, (one beep, pause, then 2 beeps, then pause and another 2 beeps, I gave it a little throttle and they stopped. I tried it again and the same irregular beeps. I put it on the trailer and brought it home.
    In conclusion after experimenting with the rpms, it seems to only do it at slow standard idle (in or out of gear) with idle rpms of 650 to 700 rpms. I also watched my water pressure gauge and while idling around it was running approx 2 psi. ( it has a new impeller). There is one bit of good news, I put in a new Optima D31M starter battery and no second beep when I hit the starter. Guess the old battery was getting weak.
    Well Gentlemen, where do i go from here, what do I try next to stop these crazy beeps at idle? Thanks again for your advise and help. WE WILL PREVAIL. Is it time for a Smart Craft or Merc Monitor to solve this dilemma? Thanks Again, Carl

16. Member
    Both thermostats need pulled to check for debris and proper operation.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Both thermostats need pulled to check for debris and proper operation.
    This was the fix for my 6 beeps at idle......And if you have debris then take the time and flush the entire system with fresh water.....and check the strainer for debris and the popit valve for proper operation

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

18. Member
    Thank you, looks like a few more parts to replace. I will update everyone after the repairs. Thanks Again

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    MccoysZ119, I am very interested in the outcome of your situation.

I have a 2006 225 (non XS) Optimax, SN 1B276219, that is doing the same as your 225 ProXS. Will do a series of beeps, but only when at idle for several minutes.

Just ran my 225 Optimax on the muffs. After 8 minutes got the beeps. Port thermostat 123 degrees, dead center of thermostat housing. Starboard thermostat 71 degrees, dead center of housing.

Smartcraft gauge reads 71 degrees and shows an engine temp. warning.

Going in Friday for new thermostats and popit valve check.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

20. Member
    I wouldn't replace the thermostats $$$$$$.....check for debris FIRST...check BOTH thermostats!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast