Mercury XR6 lower unit

1992 Mercury XR6 0D131683, I am having issues with my lower unit going into gear forward and reverse. it also has minimal play in the prop shaft3/16 maybe but doubtful 1/4" in and out. I replaced the shift cable last year and it worked after that but this year it is not. I am mechanicly inclinded and have taken lower units apart and succsesfully put them back together and they have worked. so i took this apart to see if the gears were worn out and they look ok, the clutch dog looks ok as well. The only thing i have found that may possibly be missing is the spring that goes behind the shift cam rod but im not sure if its supposed to be there. Depending on serial number its either yes or no and i believe mine is yes but im looking for someone with more knowledge to help me through. Bass are starting to bed here and id love to be on the water for that please.

2. Member
    no spring behind cam on any , is spring in side propshft , check for bent crosspin
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    There isnt any spring inside the prop shaft. The crosspin is straight. Rolls perfectly fine.

4. Member
    do you have cam shift 4 1/4 in gearcase or ez shift 4 3/4 in gearcase on this mtr , cam shift has follower with 3 balls behind it in end of shft
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If unsure of the above- a picture from the SIDE of the gearcase housing may help to identify.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I will get a picture of the side of it tonight. It has a cam shift but from a parts list for my lower unit it only shows a spring and a washer that i am missing for my serial number.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 05-08-2019 at 01:58 PM.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That may be the gearcase you have, but the XR6 usually came with the other style case. Anode opening in the side is one identifying characteristic.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    thumbnail_IMG_0715[1].jpgthumbnail_IMG_0714[1].jpg
    Here are the pictures of the lower unit and all pieces that i have taken out. If you see anything missing that should be there please let me know. I thank you guys for you help so far.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It APPEARS, as best I can tell that you have the 4.75" gearcase on your engine. #51 and #52 don't appear to be in your parts that you set out next to the gearcase (the washer and spring).

Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    appears to be newer style non ratcheting gearcase has no spring in propshaft, latest design 4 3/4 in case from my eyes