Thread: Golf Trip

Smile Golf Trip

Heading to Bandon Dunes with three other Gents. Fly out on the 8th, playing 36 on the 9th, 36 on the 10th and 18 on the 11th...fly back on the 12th. All those rounds will be walking with caddies. Going to be a long day on the 8th with the flying time, layovers and then a 5 hour drive from Portland International to Bandon Resort, but all worth it in the end. Shipped my clubs via shipsticks and they will be on site today. I am an average golfer who has been fortunate enough to play at some of the premier courses in the USA and this will be added to the list.

My biggest issue is going to be that my natural ball trajectory is very high and bandon is known for the wind. I tried practicing a low trajectory ball flight but it just messed me up, so to heck with it, grip it and rip it.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

2. Member
    Sounds like a great trip.

Play your shot, not the wind. Don't do what I do, over think the wind. Enjoy!
    08 Triton 17 Explorer/08 90 Merc

3. Member
    Good luck on your trip.
    You can keep those dune courses, i've played a couple before, too many side hill lies for my taste.

4. Member
    Played here last year.....was amazing. Food, golf, scenery. Enjoy

5. Member
    Nice trip. Walking is the best part of golf.

Make the same swing, just tee it a bump lower if its windy
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

Well, I am back. Tired, exhausted, sore, but in my office I am. Arrived at my house at 1:45 AM this morning and promptly set the alarm for 6:00 AM. Over the three days of golfing my GPS watch logged us at 41.85 miles of walking distance. By day three I was feeling the affects of all that walking.

We got very lucky with the weather. Very little wind, no rain and they were breaking record high temperatures. Heck, Wednesday afternoon we were wearing shorts. The locals were complaining about it being over 80 degrees, but I did not mind. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip, but links golf is a different animal. Huge, monstrous greens. As an example, hole 3 on the first day I had a 46 yard putt. I looked at the caddie and exclamed I have no idea how to hit a 138 foot putt. Also, it was all but impossible to take a divot in the fairway, so the swing had to be adjusted just a hair. Tight lies for sure. Putting from off the green was a common practice also. We had the same caddies all three days and they were awesome. Oh, and it was also very obvious that weed is legal, the smell was in the air everywhere.

It was an awesome experience and the staff at Bandon was exceptional. I will post some pictures once I get them organized.

8. Member
    Now there is some walking!
    Those caddies must be tough.
    weather sounds fantastic-you never know what you will get.

weed everywhere? On the course? Clubhouse? Schoolyards.
    might turn onto a 7 hour round if someone is burnin the Cronic.

I might have found a massage after the round.

still good for you.
    think what the pros walk each week!
    glad you had a good trip.

9. Member
    Did the wind come up.....it can be humbling coming off the ocean.

Yes, weed everywhere including on the course but none in the clubhouse. Every town I drove through, and we took the scenic route, there was a store to make a purchase. We walked around downtown Portland on Saturday night and the aroma was strong.