150 Four Stroke power loss after rebuild

A friend of mine cratered his 07 150 four stroke. He's not exactly sure what happened, but it looks a water line broke, filled the cowling, and sucked water into the intake. Both lower connecting rods broke, and cracked the case.

He bought a rebuilt block, and we installed it. It cranks up and idles fine, but it doesn't make full power. it does not miss or sputter. If you pin the throttle wide open, it will jump up to 4,000 or 5,000 rpms, then it will slowly loose power. It won't die, but it will slow down to around 3,000 rpms. My first thought was fuel pressure, but I had trouble timing the cams, so could it be related to cam timing? If I have a cam, or both out of time, will the ECU slow the motor if it reads a knock from a cam out of time?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

2. Member
    I think I figured it out. The fuel pressure was 30 PSI. I pulled the pump out, and the nipple on the top of the pump was cracked. When the connecting rod broke the case, it must have hit the intake hard enough to jar the electric pump and break it. Maybe... Other than that, I don't know how it would have broke. I installed a new electric fuel pump, cranked it up and it puts out over 40 PSI. Haven't put it in the water yet, but I'm 90 to 95% sure that was the problem.

3. Member
    Well ,was that the problem ?