Moving To Huntsville - Questions

Hey guys, I'm moving from Shreveport, LA to Huntsville. I plan to fish tournaments there, so I'm trying to determine the best area to be centrally located to fish the surrounding lakes. I will be working near the airport, so I don't want to be more than 30 minutes from work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'd like to have a phone conversation if any of you know the area well and wouldn't mine.

Thanks in advance.

Cass

2. Member
    Guess that will depend on what lakes you prefer to be close to. I live east of Huntsville and can be at the airport in 30 mins or a bit more in rush hour and can be at most of guntersville is 30 to 40 mins. Wheeler at ingalls is 50 mins away. Smith, Wilson, and pickwick an hour and a half.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

3. Member
    Are schools important?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    Are schools important?
    good point that David makes on the schools. Madison City Schools are probably considered the best in the area. Madison County are pretty good too.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

Lived here all my life. Best fishing now i qould say Gville or Wilson or Pickwick. Wheeler is a much tougher fishery. I work beside the airport and would suggest Madison and areas east pushing towards Guntersville. Your going to love the fishing and hunting here. Kerry
    Kerry Copeland
    2015 Skeeter ZX250/250 SHO
    Decatur, Alabama

6. Member
    I live east of Huntsville, towards Gurley and I can make it to the Airport in 30 minutes. That also gets me to Lake Guntersville in 30-45 minutes depending on where I'm launching. I don't look at schools much but we bought out there because my wife was adamant about quality schools.
    Trent Canterbury
    Huntsville, AL

04 Stratos 195 PXL
    16 ETEC HO 200

7. Banned
    We live on Wilson Lake at Muscle Shoals, and it's too far to commute--though some do.

It's about 40 miles down to Guntersville Lake from Huntsville. I like the area on that side of the mountain for a fisherman to live.

But the really hot real estate market is out in Madison, north of the Huntsville Airport. The homes are new or fairly new, and they're priced right--vs. other places. The society out there is also very good.

You really need to come up and get a good real estate agent.

8. Member
    I live in south Huntsville. About 3 miles from Ditto Landing. Its takes me 30 minutes to the Airport and I am 20 minutes from Honeycomb and 30 mins from Waterfront. If you live in Huntsville you can get to all the lakes around within 1.5 hr including some of the Coosa lakes.

It all depends on where you like to live. My wife prefers south Huntsville because it is a little less congested than University and Madison. We also work on the arsenal and can be at work in 10 minutes.

Most schools in the Huntsville-Madison area are good for the most part. Some are testing higher but in a town were most people are working in the Technology and Research industry, that could be expected since most parents expect their kids to do well in school. It ebbs and flows depending on where people move to. Some kids are graduating high school as Sophomores in college around here.
    2012 Stratos 189 VLo Yamaha 150 Four Stroke

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/bzwildman81/