198p needing bow lift

Ok people. My 198 has a 150 merc 4 stroke, 23p tempest, and a 4” jackplate. with me alone and light tackle i’m seeing speeds of 58-60. when i get a passenger and their tackle my boat struggles to push 50. this thing drives nose heavy and needs more bow lift. i’m wanting to lower my last hole on the motor and one more hole for the jack plate. think this will help or may need transom wedges?

You may need to shift some weight back.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

i have all my heaviest tackle in the back and don’t carry much as it is. i’m a 8 rods, maybe 6 plano boxes of stuff, then worms. i even make sure to balance left and right

4. Member
    I can see losing 6-7 MPH. I fish with a dude that brings soooooo much stuff I end up just strapping a damn suitcase to the back deck LOL. If it's running that good by yourself I have to ask just how big Tuna's you guys are? I'd say me and a normal passenger could be 500 pounds? Great water conditions I can run 48-50 by myself, add a passenger with all their crap and that drops to 42-43. I carry a heavy load in my dual console RT188. These boats are pretty weight sensitive. Even my dual console Cat Sabre FTD was with a 150 on it was weight sensitive. When I put a 175 ProXS on the same hull it was able to carry the load MUCH better.

If you are just regular sized guys how many RPM's are you turning that 23 Tempist? I'd try another before I put wedges in. I've ran three or four of the same prop and they all run different right out of the boxes. It used to be real common with the Tempist.

5. Member
    Curious to know where you have your motor mounted to your jackplate? I have heard of issues with the pre-2019 198's having bow lift problems and needing wedges to correct the issue due to the transom being a 15 degree transom. Mercury apparently likes something @ 20 degree's on the transom. On my 2018 with Merc 4-stroke, 23p Tempest Plus and 4" Atlas JP my boat was getting no bow lift. Had my dealer contact and speak to Sam Wilson at Ranger...Sam stated he would send wedges and it should solve the problems. Boat is currently at the dealer getting wedges installed. Hope this information helps and I sure as heck hope the wedges solve my problems.
    2018 Ranger RT198P
    Mercury 150 4-Stroke

Ok well i feel some what dumb because i haven’t even noticed i already had wedges on my boat. the last guy that had it put them on. So today i lowered the motor one more hole (it’s all the way down now) but left one more to go on the jack plate. going out tomorrow to test it out to see if it’s any better.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I can see losing 6-7 MPH. I fish with a dude that brings soooooo much stuff I end up just strapping a damn suitcase to the back deck LOL. If it's running that good by yourself I have to ask just how big Tuna's you guys are? I'd say me and a normal passenger could be 500 pounds? Great water conditions I can run 48-50 by myself, add a passenger with all their crap and that drops to 42-43. I carry a heavy load in my dual console RT188. These boats are pretty weight sensitive. Even my dual console Cat Sabre FTD was with a 150 on it was weight sensitive. When I put a 175 ProXS on the same hull it was able to carry the load MUCH better.

If you are just regular sized guys how many RPM's are you turning that 23 Tempist? I'd try another before I put wedges in. I've ran three or four of the same prop and they all run different right out of the boxes. It used to be real common with the Tempist.
    Interesting difference because when I add my 225 lb. son-in-law my speed goes from 43.0 - 42.0, not much difference at all.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

8. Member
    All depends on water conditions and temps TC. I had about perfect conditions on KY Lake today and was running 46 at 5700 rpms with both of us in the boat all all our loot.

Did the RT188 have tabs in 2014? If there is 5 degrees difference in the transom between the 18 and 19 like it seems with wedges needed then that'll make a difference in the 198.

I'd think the 198 should scoot right along with the 150 and the pad hull. Hope you guys figure it out.

well mine tonight with the motor all the way down seen 60 steady, also was on a small lake and ran out of real estate quickly. ready to see what it will do with a passenger. i could go one more hole down on the jackplate but then you will need to be aware of trimming up because you steering line will hit the splashwell is to high.

10. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    ...was running 46 at 5700 rpms with both of us in the boat and all our loot.
    Loot or Booty? B I G difference, my friend, B I G difference.....
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

11. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTuna25 View Post
    i could go one more hole down on the jackplate but then you will need to be aware of trimming up because you steering line will hit the splashwell is to high.
    I will have the same issue if I lower my jackplate one more hole. I wonder if ranger will allow the use of 2" spacers to avoid hitting the splash well with the hydraulic steering lines. I have a evinrude g1, and a 6" atlas jackplate, I dont need the wedges, but could use the spacers. That, or find someone to trade a 6" atlas for a 4" atlas.

your going to get the same spacingas your 6” plate if you have 4” plate with 2” spacers.im surprised you won’t clear it by just a hair with a 6” plate because my line would need to come back like 1.5” to clear the splash well

13. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTuna25 View Post
    your going to get the same spacingas your 6” plate if you have 4” plate with 2” spacers.im surprised you won’t clear it by just a hair with a 6” plate because my line would need to come back like 1.5” to clear the splash well
    No, I'm saying either a 4" jackplate, or the 6" with 2" spacers, (basically a 8" jackplate) will work with mine. The 6" jackplate with the motor, and jackplate in the top hole will hit the splashwell.

ok ya for sure. i’m surprised the 6” isn’t just enough. i know it will
    be veryyy close

I've always been able to get good lift with a trophy prop, but it might not be the fastest prop choice.