Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    I will never understand, they put a 10 mph on upper Patoka for miles and idle zone in the biggest lake in the state—Monroe for miles. Rocket science?
    Pure genius ain’t it. Lol. The 10mph is the stupidest rule ever. How easy is it to see going 10mph and your boat standing straight up. I don’t go up the river often, but if I do I’m running it. You can’t get up there idling, and I’m not driving at a speed I can’t see.

The slow side on Monroe.....yeah you’ll just find me on the fast side. Lol.
    Last edited by catch5; 05-16-2019 at 11:26 AM.

The 10 mph speed limit on Patoka is ignorant plain and simple. With the nose of the boat sky high it throws a wake big enough to surf behind which causes plenty of bank erosion. Plus, as catch5 mentioned you can't see shit!!! Money controls the slow side on Monroe and that's never going to change. A group of individuals will always make sure their playground stays how they like. I'm on Monroe 40 days a year and NEVER go up the creeks on the slow side, takes too much time. Got 2 tickets there 15 years ago, 1 I deserved cause I was hauling the mail, the 2nd I argued cause I was going maybe 5-6 mph. Since then I just don't bother.

Told this story many times. Got pulled over in Allen creek/Party cove for numbers not bright enough. At the same time drunk college kids were drinking and playing music so loud the water was shaking... Jumping off those pontoon barges and mooning us... They checked every safety item on our boat and gave us a warning and told us to change the color of our numbers...

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    The 10 mph speed limit on Patoka is ignorant plain and simple. With the nose of the boat sky high it throws a wake big enough to surf behind which causes plenty of bank erosion. Plus, as catch5 mentioned you can't see shit!!! Money controls the slow side on Monroe and that's never going to change. A group of individuals will always make sure their playground stays how they like. I'm on Monroe 40 days a year and NEVER go up the creeks on the slow side, takes too much time. Got 2 tickets there 15 years ago, 1 I deserved cause I was hauling the mail, the 2nd I argued cause I was going maybe 5-6 mph. Since then I just don't bother.
    Which individuals might that be?

5. Member
    The first time they change the rules on Monroe and open the slow side and someone hits a stump and does damage or has personal injury, they would sue the state for allowing it to not be idle. There is no reason it is not open to run from the causeway to the mouth of the creeks tho.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    The first time they change the rules on Monroe and open the slow side and someone hits a stump and does damage or has personal injury, they would sue the state for allowing it to not be idle. There is no reason it is not open to run from the causeway to the mouth of the creeks tho.
    True!

Anybody have a guess at what level docks might go in at salt creek or what level cutwright main ramp would be useable?

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Told this story many times. Got pulled over in Allen creek/Party cove for numbers not bright enough. At the same time drunk college kids were drinking and playing music so loud the water was shaking... Jumping off those pontoon barges and mooning us... They checked every safety item on our boat and gave us a warning and told us to change the color of our numbers...
    the DNR will sit at the cutright ramp at 4 am looking for fisherman and looking for lake usage stickers, by 9 or 10am when the pleasure boaters show up they(DNR) are gone.

9. Member
    I got a ticket last year going up pine grove, have not ran it since. A few weeks ago I watched the DNR ambush a couple of boats that went around us when they reached the point to go up to middle fork. One guy put it on pad and ran right by them. The other one stopped and got a ticket. They then got out the binoculars and started getting the numbers of everyone that went up pine grove. They then went up pine grove and wrote those guys tickets.
    On our way out of Crooked the DNR guys were up there trying to find the boat that got away. ;)

I believe they are targeting bass fisherman, mainly tournaments and it seems to have increased in the last several years. Right inline with when they started getting there balls busted on facebook for the lakes being shit for bass fishing. Coincidence I think not?

10. Member
    Gamith223, I think your spot on as 5 yrs ago got rid of my last skeeter and downsized to a 1648 g3 jon skinny water boat with 25:hp tiller and have never been checked or stopped or anything since swapping rigs by DNR. I have over 4500 in electronics on jon and catch way heck more fish since slowing down! �� This much I do know also, if you fish West Boggs, dnr is now in plain clothes and fishing rigs checking creels, fish limits, and licenses etc and doing a pretty good job on everyday fishermen. Surprise surprise!

11. Member
    The DNR CO’s are doing their job enforcing those rules...and guys running the creeks are breaking the law and therefore tournament rules. It is a huge advantage in tournaments to run up there....saves at least an hour. I’m glad they ticket them. However, the CO’s should certainly pay more attention to the wave makers!!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBassMan View Post
    The DNR CO’s are doing their job enforcing those rules...and guys running the creeks are breaking the law and therefore tournament rules. It is a huge advantage in tournaments to run up there....saves at least an hour. I’m glad they ticket them. However, the CO’s should certainly pay more attention to the wave makers!!!
    You are correct but they targeting bass tournaments, the CO who stopped me said as much last year.

13. Member
    About a month ago, 2 jet skiers camped out with 2 jet skis in Saddle Creek, They were tearing in and out of Saddle Creek pretty wide open and in the back till I raised hell with them. Where is DNR when you need them?

Last edited by fishinarc; 02-04-2023 at 08:48 AM.

Last edited by fishinarc; 02-04-2023 at 08:49 AM.

16. Member
    Very well said Chip. It is my belief that the DNR has contempt for bass fisherman for the reasons you stated and has very little interest in managing the bass resource. Why should they have to be on the water at day break to ticket violators? It shouldn't be that way.

17. Member
    Why wouldn’t DNR set up for bass fishermen? Heck, we been running wide open since the day they built the lake. Nothing has changed after all these years. And it’s not going to change in the future when there is a drive to win. I fished tourneys in the early 70,s thru 90’s on Monroe and nothing changes other than the horse power, size of the boats, and guys attitudes and today, the guys are more brazen and a lot more outspoken. It’s just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by hoos202 View Post
    Why should they have to be on the water at day break to ticket violators? It shouldn't be that way.
    You're right, they could sleep in, hit the lake in the evening during the months of June, July and August anchor out in the middle of the slow side straight across from cutright and write tickets all summer to pleasure boaters of all types. I'm on Monroe a lot and during those 3 months I see jet skis, pontoons and wake board boats running the slow side on a regular basis with no CO anywhere to be found. If you want I can video it for it you because it's that common. Selective enforcement of the laws is bs, plain and simple.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12