Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Backing up without boat

Just purchased a Nitro Z18 and a couple of the lakes I fish close by have steep ramps. I am having issues seeing my trailer backing up without the boat on. Even doing it with my mirrors has been futile, the truck is wide and I have a hard tonneau on so I can't just drop the tailgate. Anyone find a good guide or fix ?

Thanks-
    John

2. Member
    Tall enough guide posts that you can see over your tonneau cover?
    https://www.etrailer.com/search/Boat...er+Guide+Posts
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

3. Member
    I have same issue and use the magnetic alignment guides - used to line up ball and hitch - one on each fender - easy on and off.

The ones that are like a telescopic antenna with the foam yellow balls on the end.

Works for me.

4. Member
    I second the guidepost suggestion. They work well, and added benefit of making it easier to load the boat on the trailer. Simple to install, takes maybe 20 mins total. I put on the CE Smith 40" black ones.

5. Member
    thanks fellas.

I will i’ll check our both options.

6. Member
    Be careful. If you drop the tailgate sometimes the winch mount crushes the tailgate when you turn.

I've always just used a series of error corrections...in other words, go slow and watch both mirrors. If you can see the trailer in either one, you're going too far in that direction. If you can't see your trailer, keep backing straight....until you hear something crunch.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

8. Member
    tow mirrors help

Practice, with my truck and boat if I get a glimps of the trailer at any point I can back up and maneuver it where it needs to go just by experience on how far I'm rolling with what amount of steering. Just experience
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

10. Member
    Just lots of practice. Learn to quickly use both side mirrors and forget the rear view. You’ll develop a feel for what it’s doing. Make small wheel corrections soon as you see it because if you start getting choppy you’ll over correct the other way.

11. Member
    buddy of mine drove trailers 40 yr. I asked him how he told me keep one tire in driver side mirror don't even look in other mirror I tried it it works for me

12. mikesxpress
    Tailgate camera....

13. Member
    My wife has the same issue when the boat isn’t on the trailer. I made some removable guide posts out of pvc pipe. I used 1/2” grey pvc conduit and a couple of 90° elbows for the guide posts. I’m not sure why I used that instead of regular pvc. You can find it in the Electrical section of Home Depot. It’s probably what I had laying around. I bolted a short piece of, I believe, 1” pvc to the backside of the mud flaps. This piece has to be a little bigger because it will have the head of your bolt and washer inside and still have room for the guide to slide in and out. I think I used #10 stainless steel nuts & bolts. I drilled holes in the fender pipe the same size as the bolt. I then enlarged the holes that face the rear so I could get the bolt and washer through and get a screwdriver in the hole. I was in a hurry so one of the holes isn’t in line with the others. I suggest drawing a line down the pipe before you drill so the holes will all be in a straight line. I also suggest holding or clamping the pipe to the mud flap and drilling one of the holes. Once you run the bit through the pipe it will make a mark on the mud flap. You can then remove the pipe and drill all the way through the mud flap. Put something on the other side of the mud flap so you don’t drill into your tire. Once you have one hole drilled, bolt the pipe to the mud flap and this will hold it in place while you drill the other holes. I then took the L guide post and inserted it into the mud flap pipe and drilled a hole all the way through from top to bottom. I use a pin to run through the hole and hold the guide in place. Be sure to label each guide because the holes on each side will not be identical if you do everything freehand. I also drew a line around the pipe so it’s easy to see how far to push guide into the pipe. I painted the pipe with some of the rubberized paint. It has worked perfectly for 5 years and it takes less than a minute to get both installed. I had everything already so it did really cost me anything but doesn’t cost very much even if you don’t have the pieces.
    Good Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

14. Banned
    Stosh has the right way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by stosh View Post
    buddy of mine drove trailers 40 yr. I asked him how he told me keep one tire in driver side mirror don't even look in other mirror I tried it it works for me
    YUP !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Practice--hand on the bottom of the wheel and move to the side you want to go to. Small corrections

17. Member
    Tall guideposts and I put lights on the top for backing up at night. I’d been backing up without the posts for 25. Was good at it. The guideposts made the “boatless trailer back up on steep Ramps” effortless.

18. Member
    I don't believe I have seen this suggestion as of yet... But possibly add mirror extensions? A friend of mine has an older dually truck and added the extenders to his truck and it has helped. I think they were $30. Guide posts as others have recommended would be great for multiple situations.
    2004 Ranger 185VS
    2004 150 HP Mercury EFI

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stosh View Post
    This. I alternate between port and starboard mirror if I am backing up straight for a long distance to keep it going pretty straight. I use that method for going into the garage too. Get real close to the port side door opening and you will have plenty of space on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBurke View Post
    I don't believe I have seen this suggestion as of yet... But possibly add mirror extensions? A friend of mine has an older dually truck and added the extenders to his truck and it has helped. I think they were $30. Guide posts as others have recommended would be great for multiple situations.
    I purchased extended mirrors so I could see around my large enclosed trailer but have found them to be very helpful with the smaller trailers that tend to hide behind the truck. You can find inexpensive clip on extensions on most of the trailer supply sites.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast