Searing on pellet grill

I got the grill grates with my Rectec which are supposed to help with searing. 2 questions, if I am going to sear a steak, how hot do I crank up the grill to? And once the grill gets up to temp, how long does it take the grill grates to heat up so that you can actually sear on them?

2. Banned
    400-450 is my guess...once it hits temp on the grill maybe 10 minutes to heat up.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...-1-spons&psc=1

3. Member
    run it full blast and when it hits 500+ u will be ready to sear

4. Member
    I cook mine to 150 degrees internal, take it off and wrap it in tin foil to retain heat. Heat my Rec Tec to 500 and seer 3 minutes per side. Perfect then!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hagins View Post
    I cook mine to 150 degrees internal, take it off and wrap it in tin foil to retain heat. Heat my Rec Tec to 500 and seer 3 minutes per side. Perfect then!
    Yuck! 150 before removing is already well past med rare. Then foiling and then searing? A rubber mat would be cheaper and tastier.

Searing is best done first to avoid overcooking and to lock in juices. Take it off at 135 (loosely closed fist test - don’t go poking holes) and let it rest. Temp will rise and continue cooking after it comes off the heat.

Anything beyond 140 final temp is sacrilegious.

6. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Yuck! 150 before removing is already well past med rare. Then foiling and then searing? A rubber mat would be cheaper and tastier.
    Everybody has different opinions and tastes. I know several people that insist on well done, while I prefer medium rare. To each his own I guess.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

7. Member
    Reverse Searing is actually a pretty awesome way to go for cooking a steak. I would strongly encourage everyone to give it a try! As for the internal temperature that everyone’s personal preference. I am a medium rare guy myself.

8. Banned
    Exactly....wifes steaks are reverse seared too, get pulled at 142 after sear...the rest takes it to her liking. Mine reverse seared I pull from sear at 128-130...rest takes care of it. Glad I have the bge minimax to handle individual steaks.