Thread: Prop Question

Prop Question

I just put a SS prop on my pro 170 (40 hp). Went with the same diameter and pitch (10.5 x 13) as the stock aluminum but lost 600-700 rpms. Wondering if I should just go back to aluminum or worth looking into 12 pitch SS? Or any other suggestions? Went with SS due to rocky lakes in AZ and my aluminum took a couple good beatings.

2. Member
    Hi There IMO you are better off with a aluminum prop for your situation (rocky areas in your home area) for a couple of reasons; the gear case on that motor is very small and if you hit something with a stainless prop there is little to no give for SS prop so therefore the gearcase usually takes the hit! You can replace many aluminum props but gearcase repair or worse replacement is very expensive. Also IMO that's a lot to ask of a 40hp motor to spin a heavy SS prop (low RPM issue). Hope this helps.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NHBTJOE2017 View Post
    Hi There IMO you are better off with a aluminum prop for your situation (rocky areas in your home area) for a couple of reasons; the gear case on that motor is very small and if you hit something with a stainless prop there is little to no give for SS prop so therefore the gearcase usually takes the hit! You can replace many aluminum props but gearcase repair or worse replacement is very expensive. Also IMO that's a lot to ask of a 40hp motor to spin a heavy SS prop (low RPM issue). Hope this helps.
    The hub will spin out long before the gear case will be hurt. This is the reason they come with hubs like the Flo-torque II. Trashing a gear case on rocks normally comes from the gear case itself coming in contact with rocks/stumps. It has nothing to do with a stainless prop.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades