Wire Size for Electronics

Can someone tell me what wire size Basscat uses from the factory? I bought a new 18' Cougar and have 3 solix units hooked up and have been getting 10.4 voltage alarm on units? Just trying to pin point what is causing this. Also do the cranking batteries that everything is hooked to come from factory or is this dealer choice? Was told maybe that its not a dual purpose battery. Anyone have any thoughts on this? It has done this since owning the boat.

Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    You don't mention if it is an 2018 FTD (premium) or non FTD. If not a premium model, then it will not have the dedicated wiring harness for the electronics, nor will it have the Pro Guide AGM battery.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

3. Member
    Cougar 76, I was digging around in my lynx hooking things up last week and I investigated the premium model harness And it looks like mine is #6 gauge to under the console to a block with 4 studs, positive on one end and neg on the other then # 10 marine grade tinned wire to the bow. So if you have an FTD, with dedicated power, you should have very similar .

good luck,
    Last edited by TonkaCat; 05-07-2019 at 05:32 PM.

4. Member
    Does the Eyra come with Premium wiring? Is this an option?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    You don't mention if it is an 2018 FTD (premium) or non FTD. If not a premium model, then it will not have the dedicated wiring harness for the electronics, nor will it have the Pro Guide AGM battery.
    Its a 2018 FTD (premium)

A 2018 Cougar FTD is a Premium Boat and will have a Premium 6 gauge tinned and soldered harness. Those are not a source of low voltage as the supply possible would crank your outboard. The wire to the bow is tinned 10 gauge and again soldered. The battery is an AGM Pro Guide standard, which was made by Full River and is the best AGM 31 available, which opposes a battery supply issue, should it be properly charged. These have been extremely good since we have used them.

Issues are from the under the console Buss Bar connection to the units themselves if your having voltage supply issues.

We are curious as to where the opinion was shared that supply was an issue?

BCB

The selling dealership needs to contact the depth finder technical service team and get this dialed in for you. We will be glad to support them in this effort.

8. Member
    I would post this over in the Humminbird forum too. Wayne should be able to help
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

well I just finished wiring up my 2013 Pantera 4 as follows (per Wayne P. and Jones Trolling Motors suggestions) - 8 gauge from battery to a bladed fuse box under console, helm units power cord from graph direct to fuse block, 10 gauge wire from front units to fuse block (each graph gets its own 10 gauge wire supply). This solved ALL my voltage drop issues but I would imagine a 2018 would be rigged similarly as BCB stated above.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    A 2018 Cougar FTD is a Premium Boat and will have a Premium 6 gauge tinned and soldered harness. Those are not a source of low voltage as the supply possible would crank your outboard. The wire to the bow is tinned 10 gauge and again soldered. The battery is an AGM Pro Guide standard, which was made by Full River and is the best AGM 31 available, which opposes a battery supply issue, should it be properly charged. These have been extremely good since we have used them.

Issues are from the under the console Buss Bar connection to the units themselves if your having voltage supply issues.

We are curious as to where the opinion was shared that supply was an issue?

BCB
    I jumped in on a thread from Humminbird GPS board trying to figure out why I'm getting this as everything is less than a year old. Guess next time I take back to a BCB I will have them check into this. Here is link to thread (post #13). http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....1#post10251684

That’s is accurate though the wire from the loom to the graph is the smallest connection. The bronze buss bar and 6 gauge soldered and tinned wire is not the issue. The battery could be substandard in durability, though it’s not in new ability. It’s one of the best AGM batteries we can acquire. The common thread between all of this is the connections or wire size somewhere. We don’t have voltage drop to the buss bar so it has happen on the other side.

12. Member
    Agreed. Several years ago Bass Cat Boats was the first builder to commit to larger gauge wire for electronics. In most cases the battery is the cause followed by wire gauge, switching and connections. Most do not understand that a battery reading 12V does not mean it is fully charged. Have your dealer load test the battery and confirm connections.

That’s is accurate though the wire from the loom to the graph is the smallest connection. The bronze buss bar and 6 gauge soldered and tinned wire is not the issue. The battery could be substandard in durability, though it’s not in new ability. It’s one of the best AGM batteries we can acquire. The common thread between all of this is the connections or wire size somewhere. We don’t have voltage drop to the buss bar so it has happen on the other side.

13. Member
    Well today on the water for tournament and 6 hours in was idling out of back waters and had engine trimmed up and motor just stopped running. Won't fire was getting low battery on GPS and now get home and been on charger for a couple hours and only 1 yellow light still. Less than a year old. Mercury gauges still said bat temp and something else still good. Have no idea what is going on. Really frustrating.

It sounds like a bad battery or bad charger.

Use a voltmeter to check it after it sits 30 minutes following a charge. We will work with your dealership if the AGM from the factory is bad.

BCB

15. Member
    It sounds like a bad battery or bad charger.

Use a voltmeter to check it after it sits 30 minutes following a charge. We will work with your dealership if the AGM from the factory is bad.

BCB
    Will be in touch with them next week. Thanks for input.

Just curious, when do you get the alarm? You’ll get it when you crank the motor if you’ve been on the TM for a few hours. At least I do.

Never mind, just saw the other post....

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    Just curious, when do you get the alarm? You’ll get it when you crank the motor if you’ve been on the TM for a few hours. At least I do.

Never mind, just saw the other post....
    Yes I was getting this when I was cranking the big motor. I took it to dealer and he tested everything electrical and said all was good. We just ended up setting the voltage alarms on depth finders to 10 volts instead of 10.4 and went out for 5.5 hours on Saturday and didn't get any alarms.

This whole thing on voltage stemmed from our 1 year 250 pro XS 2 Stroke just quit as we were idling out of back water during middle of tournament (6 hours in) and we couldn't get it to start. Ended up that somehow the engine lost prime (no gas) and all we would have done is pump the ball to get to start but we had no clue. Figured you wouldn't have this issue with new equipment.