another vessel view Mobile Question - Correct plug used?

Serial # 1B044209

I'm starting to 2nd guess that I used the right plug for my VVM set up.

When I checked the motor I only found 2 plugs that were "free" and fit the VVM. However the 1 plug that has some kind of resistor didnt have any kind of cover on it, You can only see the green "rubber" pin cover, I am assuming thats due to one of the previous owners or mechs removing or the cap poping off.

Blury pic because i zoomed in but... the white stripped plug above the VVM is where the resistor is and the plug right below which is barely visible is the main plug...

2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Going to need a bit more clear picture.

There should be only ONE 10 pin plug under that cowling, on the STB side of the engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    So this is the plug that I would believe is the plug for vvm

This is the back of the resistor I got.

This is the error I'm getting when I try to connect
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

4. Member
    Another simple vvm thread.... ended up just needing the correct resistor

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Correct plug- and you are correct, earlier engines that did not have a 10-pin Terminating Resistor will REQUIRE one, if the VV Mobile Module is being installed directly to the engine.

If installed elsewhere in an EXISTING Smartcraft System, you do not add any resistors.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor