Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ten trips to the lake and my trailer bunk carpeting is worn through at the back?!!

I was backing down to pick-up my Vexus AVX1980/G2 after an afternoon fishing trip and noticed the carpeting didn’t look right. I stopped short of the water and got out to examine. Both of the outside bunks carpeting had worn through and the wood was showing in a 6” X 4” area. The inside bunks carpeting was depressed, but not worn through yet. I’ll try to get a photo next time as I left my phone in the boat and couldn’t get a photo without holding up the line.

I guess I’ll call my dealer tomorrow and see what they advise. Might want to keep and eye on your trailer bunks. Hopefully it’s not a common problem.

Update Monday am:

Called Greg at Bay Marine and they will order the materials to fix the problem, call me when they are ready. And hopefully I can drive down early one morning and drop it off to get fixed and drive back home the same day. Great people at Bay Marine in Kennesaw, GA

Update Tuesday am:

Got a call from Bay Marine to send some photos of the damage. I will get it out to the lake again soon to get photos of it off the trailer and maybe remove the duct tape. Thought I’d share one here of it on the trailer so you get the idea of what and where the bunks are wearing:

3C9F6712-5001-43FD-AB21-B4D68692D5E4.jpeg

Update Tuesday pm:

Got a call from Bay Marine after they had seen the photos of the bunks and had discussed them with Vexus to make a plan of action. I liked the plan and the bunks should be in a better condition after the fix to not be a problem going forward. The plan may change as they put hands on it, so I’ll report again after we get to the dealer for a fix. I’ll post photos of the fix in progress if allowed. One thing I am sure of is Bay Marine and Vexus is on it. Customer service is the most valuable to us as Vexus owners when things go wrong, and they are getting great marks from me so far in this CS process.

Update Thursday 05/23:

Bay Marine called and has the carpet and slicks in stock to fix my bunks, so I will schedule a day next week to drive down for repair/replace. Loving this boat more each day. My fishing buddy keeps bragging on it to, especially after really windy days on Chickamauga. We used the livewell yesterday for the first time on some quality spotted bass to test it out, and it did fine. It seems we never have time to go to Parksville anymore, but that might change as with that wind howling and the sun shining the spots were feeding on top. Caught 70 spots and missed some five pounders that just wouldn’t eat the bait. Spooks and then drop-shot after the wind died in the evening.

6DE3CAD2-6B4A-4231-9B0C-57C7071BA81D.jpeg

Update Friday 06/07:

Vexus & Bay Marine came up with a solution to the carpet wearing that I think will work, but we will see. Bay Marine got the materials from Vexus last week, but I fished all last week. We got some rainy days Wednesday so headed down to Bay Marine for the install, and had a couple other things to tweek while I was there. My ignition switch kept moving to right, and I had them drill a hole in splash well for a ProMariner pull-through plug for the charger:

CA551473-4AD6-45CD-8876-43F828FBAD19.jpeg2AB96975-5CB9-44CE-A6DD-39ECDA514DF6.jpeg
    Last edited by Jimbug; 06-07-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbug View Post
    I was backing down to pick-up my Vexus AVX1980/G2 after and afternoon fishing trip and noticed the carpeting didn’t look right. I stopped short of the water and got out to examine. Both of the outside bunks carpeting had worn through and the wood was showing in a 6” X 4” area. The inside bunks carpeting was depressed, but not worn through yet. I’ll try to get a photo next time as I left my phone in the boat and couldn’t get a photo without holding up the line.

I guess I’ll call my dealer tomorrow and see what they advise. Might want to keep and eye on your trailer bunks. Hopefully it’s not a common problem.
    Wow, let us know what you find out. Gonna look at mine this weekend. That is something I wouldn't even look at being so new.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

3. Member
    I noticed mine is also pretty scuffed up looking and the wood is almost visible.

4. Member
    Game changing hahaha.... Sorry I had to. Great boats I am sure, sounds like some kinks left to be sorted out.

5. Member
    Well, that’s two days in a row someone came up to me as I am on the launch ramp who is either thinking of buying a Vexus boat (yesterday Mr. Higgins) or their fishing buddy is (today). Today’s guy said his buddy is looking to buy the white 2080 with the white 200hp G2. I was waiting for my buddy to get to the ramp from work, so I repped my Vexus pretty good. Showing him the storage, rod lockers, and my cooler that still had lots of ice from yesterday’s trip still.

I duck taped all four of the damaged bunks today, though the center ones had no wood showing through yet. Seemed to slide on a little better with the slicker duct tape surfaces. How do you fix everything? Duck it!!

I think when the bunks are repaired I will put a “heaping helping” of Black Magic to make that area of the bunks slicker. I bought a Carolina Skiff once that the previous owner had treated his bunks with Black Magic, and you could launch that boat with a single finger. Or, leave it unhooked and it would launch itself on dry land. LOL. That stuff lasts longer than you would think, but be sure to keep it hooked until you want to launch.

No photos of fish today as it was slow this evening, and no fish above 2 3/4 lbs crossed our gunnels. I do have a 17” spotted bass photo from yesterday that loved on my drop shot, and a photo of my boat at the dock on beautiful Parksville Lake.

I parked at angle to the dam into the wind and stayed right there until they stopped biting. Don’t you love the Ultrex with spot lock?

99B09F60-7A65-4C6B-B3FA-FBE9E4A00CD4.jpeg708333C4-2C73-4799-8EF3-5A6BC64EED83.jpeg
    Last edited by Jimbug; 05-06-2019 at 10:30 PM.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

6. Member
    Any word from your dealer on the the trailer bunk carpet wearing so quickly ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbug View Post
    Well, that’s two days in a row someone came up to me as I am on the launch ramp who is either thinking of buying a Vexus boat (yesterday Mr. Higgins) or their fishing buddy is (today). Today’s guy said his buddy is looking to buy the white 2080 with the white 200hp G2. I was waiting for my buddy to get to the ramp from work, so I repped my Vexus pretty good. Showing him the storage, rod lockers, and my cooler that still had lots of ice from yesterday’s trip still.

I duck taped all four of the damaged bunks today, though the center ones had no wood showing through yet. Seemed to slide on a little better with the slicker duct tape surfaces. How do you fix everything? Duck it!!

I think when the bunks are repaired I will put a “heaping helping” of Black Magic to make that area of the bunks slicker. I bought a Carolina Skiff once that the previous owner had treated his bunks with Black Magic, and you could launch that boat with a single finger. Or, leave it unhooked and it would launch itself on dry land. LOL. That stuff lasts longer than you would think, but be sure to keep it hooked until you want to launch.

No photos of fish today as it was slow this evening, and no fish above 2 3/4 lbs crossed our gunnels. I do have a 17” spotted bass photo from yesterday that loved on my drop shot, and a photo of my boat at the dock on beautiful Parksville Lake.

I parked at angle to the dam into the wind and stayed right there until they stopped biting. Don’t you love the Ultrex with spot lock?

99B09F60-7A65-4C6B-B3FA-FBE9E4A00CD4.jpeg708333C4-2C73-4799-8EF3-5A6BC64EED83.jpeg
    Was down at the local Triton dealership that now sells Vexus also. Man what a difference in quality, I have seen Vexus lined up against different "competitor" boats but not the Tritons. Not even close. He was telling me that the the backbone of his business over the years has really transitioned to Triton warranty work. He said his sells has slowed and warranty work has jumped way up. He was very excited to have been picked up by Vexus as the traffic through his dealership has nearly tripled. I told him now he close the gap with sales but still have the Triton warranty work as a fall back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    Was down at the local Triton dealership that now sells Vexus also. Man what a difference in quality, I have seen Vexus lined up against different "competitor" boats but not the Tritons. Not even close. He was telling me that the the backbone of his business over the years has really transitioned to Triton warranty work. He said his sells has slowed and warranty work has jumped way up. He was very excited to have been picked up by Vexus as the traffic through his dealership has nearly tripled. I told him now he close the gap with sales but still have the Triton warranty work as a fall back.

How does the carpet hold up on the Triton aluminum bunks

I'm sure Vexus will get this worked out.......May need to have a angled cut on the end of those bunks instead of it being squared off.....

9. Member
    No matter who makes your trailer it is always good after you launch and park to give your bunks a once over. Look for loose fasteners, coverings, wiring. Takes a minute and helps you see a problem developing.
    Please release me,let me go.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    How does the carpet hold up on the Triton aluminum bunks

I'm sure Vexus will get this worked out.......May need to have a angled cut on the end of those bunks instead of it being squared off.....

From the sounds of it, probably like new since the majority of the time they sitting on the trailer at the dealership waiting for shop space to get warranty work done.

The carpet on my bunks are fine. I have had mine since Jan and take it out nearly every weekend. Not saying it is an isolated incident as most don't check the carpet on a 2-3 month old trailer. So my guess, is there will be others. I checked mine after the 2nd launch to ensure the lag bolts where tight..........haven't paid much attention to it since. One thing I can confidently say, is Vexus will stand behind their product and do whatever they can to make it right.

11. Member
    Sad state of the industry when companies are applauded for standing behind their product. No knock on Vexus, but more the industry as a whole nowadays.

I don't know how the rear underside of the Vexus is built, but I had the same problem with my Lund. There is a place along the underside of the boat, immediately in front of the transom, where two piece of sheet metal meet and are riveted together. While that edge isn't sharp, over time it wore the bunk carpet through. I solved the problem by cutting two big rectangles of thick rubber from an old flooring mat. I drilled a hole through the rubber and bolted it to the underside of the bunk. Then, I folded the other end over on top of the bunk and used a big zip tie to hold the flap down to the bunk. Other than replacing broken zip ties every couple of years, this completely solved my problem.
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 05-08-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    Sad state of the industry when companies are applauded for standing behind their product. No knock on Vexus, but more the industry as a whole nowadays.
    I don't think that is a negative thing in any way. There is not a manufacture out there that is not going to have an occasional issue. The goal is always 100% first time quality, but the reality is it is a blend of human and automated production processes, unfortunately defects will occur. That is why they have warranty departments, every manufacturing facility has one. How they treat their customers with these defects is instrumental to building product loyalty.

I would much rather see the companies stand behind their product than not. I had an experience with a White River product where all of their energy was spent on fighting the $200 warranty claim. After a month of going back and forth and their refusal to stand behind their product, that was clearly a defect in their process, I paid for the repair out of pocket and sold the boat a month later. There are countless examples of this.

14. Member
    Mines tearing up after 3 trips
    2019 Vexus 1880, merc 115

15. mikesxpress
    It appears to be the transom to hull weld causing your bunk carpet damage. Replacement of the carpet will not resolve that issue. Cutting the bunk board off an inch ahead of the weld should resolve it.

In Jeff's Lund example, the tabs fastened to the hull ahead of the transom is a standard mod for some aluminum hulls to reduce proposing. (Breaks hydrodynamic adherence of the hull) Xpress opted for hull indentions with a ball peen hammer in the same area as the Lund tabs which stopped porposing on the X19's. Some of the larger Bass Cat glass hulls have a down turned cresent molded into the same area for anti-porposing and it too cuts into the carpet. Same resolution, stop the bunk board before it reaches the cresent.

With the boat sitting on the trailer, check the bunk to hull fitment. Try sliding a 1/32", 1/16", 1/8" shim between the hull and the carpet starting at the damaged area and go forward. The carpet fluff can/will hide these gaps in support. The bunks should be tight against the hull the entire length for proper support/trailering.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 05-11-2019 at 11:39 AM.

16. mikesxpress
    BCB example:

If you get bridging like this with just the 4 points making firm bunk contact then you get hull rub/vibration from areas not seated.

17. Member
    I'm thinking they will shim the bunks to get some weight off the rear. If somebody was to put a solid bunk material on like gatorbaks I would bet there are some gaps on the bunks like Mike pointed out.

18. bayousmallie
    I also had this problem about 4 months ago. Had it fixed and now its doing it again.
    Same two bunks.

19. Member
    I've also been wondering if the boat is to far forward on the trailer? The tongue weight seems heavier than my last few boats.
    2019 Vexus 1880, merc 115

Quote Originally Posted by bayousmallie View Post
    I also had this problem about 4 months ago. Had it fixed and now its doing it again.
    Same two bunks.
    What model do you have? Even after the repair, it showed back up?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast