Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyPickle View Post
    I've also been wondering if the boat is to far forward on the trailer? The tongue weight seems heavier than my last few boats.
    That's because the bunks arent holding the weight. The weight is on the roller and on the back of the bunks.

2. bayousmallie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    What model do you have? Even after the repair, it showed back up?
    Yes it did I have the 1980c.c.

3. Member
    Vexus and Bay Marine took care of my trailer bunks. Re-carpeted all four bunks and added 15” skids at the very back of each bunk. Thanks Vexus and Bay Marine for great customer service.

92B993D9-FD26-4496-ABF2-1F16D745B21E.jpeg
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

4. mikesxpress
    Band-aide for the weld which will now cut into the poly slide?

5. Member
    I knew that was coming. I guess titanium skids might be better then? Actually, you want the trailer skid to be less hard than the aluminum weld otherwise the weld gets cut by the harder skid right? If it doesn’t work we try something else. But, these are made like the Gatorbak bunk covers that get such good reviews. Right? Like you have? Are your Gatorbaks band-aids as well?

CF55349A-D413-49A8-9AEA-97224FE3A6A2.jpeg
    Last edited by Jimbug; 06-07-2019 at 12:31 PM.

6. Member
    Maybe it's just me, but those exposed screws on top will make me nervous. I've seen screws come loose and back out on side bunks. If that happens, you'll get gouges on the bottom.

7. Member
    No, that is a valid concern that I have as well. Will just have to keep an eye on it. Maybe put some plastic covers over the heads or RTV.

8. mikesxpress
    No what you have is not made like Gatorbak bunks. That product is a purpose made replacement for carpet. If your happy with the band-aide to a new rig then so be it. That's all that matters. If you want it fixed properly I've already given you my recommendation that will correct the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    No what you have is not made like Gatorbak bunks. That product is a purpose made replacement for carpet. If your happy with the band-aide to a new rig then so be it. That's all that matters. If you want it fixed properly I've already given you my recommendation that will correct the problem.

I don't think it is so much a band aide or settling for something. Quite honestly, there is some trial and error on going on right now IMO. It is not a global issue with every trailer having the premature wear. How Vexus is addressing it and sending out current trailers is different than this approach. I have thought about trimming the bunk length however you are cutting off ~3.5" to make the bunks even with boat.
    I am reluctant to even discuss it on this page given the amount of bullshit that comes along with the Vexus vultures. I am pretty sure I know what is causing the issue and I personally think that both the counter measures are going to fail at some point also. Pure speculation. However I have no idea on how to even approach the issue that I think it is. So I am going to try and put the new bunks on and monitor and watch Jimbug's updates to compare
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

It's obvious the weld is the root cause of the issue. It is a nice weld but it probably has some sharp edges so it is cutting the carpet. File down the weld to keep the carpet from cutting, I don't think so. That weld looks nice and strong so messing with it would be a mistake.

With a fiberglass boat you will see the bunks longer than the boat probably because you want that extra support because the boat will tend to be heavier and require it. Vexus is probably using this same logic. They want the extra support a longer bunk provides, unfortunately, this issue has turned up so now the question is what is the best way to fix it.

If it was my boat I would have notched the bunk so the poly slide was even with the rest of it. I don't like the way it is raised up from the rest of the bunk. I would make it a more integral part of bunk. It would probably last a bit longer and in reality, replacing it every couple of years is not a big deal.

Vulture out ....

11. Member
    I think maybe pulling boat to far on trailer I have no problem with mine yet been out over 20 times but I try to leave about 6 inches from front eyelet to rubber roller and rear transom is even with board in the back ,,just my input

12. Member
    My 1980 has not started this yet but I could see it happening after looking. If it does I will insist it is repaired with full gator bunks or I will do it myself, half hearted patches on new boats are unacceptable, these should be on the whole bunk front to back and not just the back section. I have always hated carpet anyhow and risk of bolts scratching bottom. But the gator bunk is definitely the solution to that and much more long term.
    Jeremy
    Texas A&M \'99

Quote Originally Posted by James 10 View Post
    I think maybe pulling boat to far on trailer I have no problem with mine yet been out over 20 times but I try to leave about 6 inches from front eyelet to rubber roller and rear transom is even with board in the back ,,just my input
    Why do you not pull your boat up to the roller to support the boat? Does the winch stand not move so you could slide the boat back farther? And on an aluminum boat if your bunks do not go past the back of the boat the bunks will create pockets in your hull with all that weight- think of a trampoline- lay a weight in the middle then lay that same weight on a 2x4 that goes across the frame on both sides.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

14. Member
    BCB example:

If you get bridging like this with just the 4 points making firm bunk contact then you get hull rub/vibration from areas not seated.
    Man, you're gonna wear these photos out. You have them everywhere.

15. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterAg99 View Post
    My 1980 has not started this yet but I could see it happening after looking. If it does I will insist it is repaired with full gator bunks or I will do it myself, half hearted patches on new boats are unacceptable, these should be on the whole bunk front to back and not just the back section. I have always hated carpet anyhow and risk of bolts scratching bottom. But the gator bunk is definitely the solution to that and much more long term.
    Jeremy Gatorbak bunks will not resolve this. The existing sharp weld area will cut through them too.
    Adding the hard poly slide on top of the carpet introduces a similar 4 point support on the hull by raising the transom off the bunks and a gap between the slide and the bow results. The hull should be in full even pressure contact with the bunks the full length to prevent hull hooks and vibration scuffing.

It's a new boat company and issues will arrise as they progress. I'm sure they will correct this.

16. Member
    Jeremy Gatorbak bunks will not resolve this. The existing sharp weld area will cut through them too.
    Adding the hard poly slide on top of the carpet introduces a similar 4 point support on the hull by raising the transom off the bunks and a gap between the slide and the bow results. The hull should be in full even pressure contact with the bunks the full length to prevent hull hooks and vibration scuffing.

It's a new boat company and issues will arrise as they progress. I'm sure they will correct this.
    That's the problem, the hull isnt being supported the full length of the boards. Phoenix actually has the same issue on some boats. If you take the carpet off you will see the gaps. Which is also why the one guy said his tongue weight is heavy. It sounds like the bunks need shims to get them supporting the boat right. Not a hard fix really.

17. Banned
    BCB example:

If you get bridging like this with just the 4 points making firm bunk contact then you get hull rub/vibration from areas not seated.
    That's not reverse chine, that's hook.

18. Member
    .I'm not having the problem everyone else is having so I'm gunna keep doing as I am its working and no issues yet these boats have plenty of of weight on nose and sitting on roller fine and board is past boat about 1 inch and eyelet is about 6 inches from roller

Quote Originally Posted by James 10 View Post
    .I'm not having the problem everyone else is having so I'm gunna keep doing as I am its working and no issues yet these boats have plenty of of weight on nose and sitting on roller fine and board is past boat about 1 inch and eyelet is about 6 inches from roller

So you aren't loading to the roller? I was thinking about sliding my winch stand back a couple inches. However, I don't know what, if anything it would do to the load level.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    So you aren't loading to the roller? I was thinking about sliding my winch stand back a couple inches. However, I don't know what, if anything it would do to the load level.
    I have thought about that too, if any one has, would like to know the results.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast