1996 Champion 221 restore, bad transom.

Purchased this boat as a project. The transom is bad and looks like someone has worked on it in the past with some less than desirable work. Would like to remove the top cap and inspect everything to make sure it is solid other than the transom. Any input will be appreciated. I know I may spend more than she is worth but love Champs and hate to see her go to the scrap pile. Posted this question in the resto page as well. Thank You, Tony

2. Member
    I have a '96 181 and had the transom rebuilt. They cut it I believe across the center of the splashwell to get in thereafter I removed the tank and everything, then refiberglassed and put a drain in the center and removed the drain holes in splashwell, reglassed the back of boat, had coosa board put in. M. Mosher had his 96' 20' restored, he knows more about inspecting the stringers than I do.

3. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Hi, Tony.....let us know how you do...it may help others doing restoration work.

5. Member
    Thank you Matt for the response. Hope yours is holding up well. If I may can you PM me the name of the guy you used to repair your transom. I will try to update on this project as it progresses along. It will be a slow and tedious process.

You can but he's not in business anymore. Championship Marine in Branson is top notch tho.

7. Member
    Thanks again Matt, I will probably go the same way you did. Leah I will keep you posted and try to post some pictures and give details on how its going.

8. Member
    Farmers Fiberglass in South Roxana Illinois has been in business a very long time. They've done a ton of Transoms and never had one come back. They're really good with Champions hate to say it but I see a lot go through there.
    2002 Triton Tr-21 Merc 250 Pro XB OT430582

9. Member
    Sinbad marine in Rubicon, WI. Did my 203 a couple years ago for a VERY reasonable price. Complete transom replacement plus a lot of minor fiberglass repairs and touch up stuff. Did a fantastic job.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinB View Post
    Sinbad marine in Rubicon, WI. Did my 203 a couple years ago for a VERY reasonable price. Complete transom replacement plus a lot of minor fiberglass repairs and touch up stuff. Did a fantastic job.
    What is a very reasonable price? I may be in the middle of a transom replacement now...

11. Member
    Stay far away from Steve Mika at Final Finish in Antioch IL. I remember another member here posting some pictures of terrible work

Saboo