Praying Champion 1996 221 restoration.

Champion 221 questions. I have purchased the boat knowing it needs a lot of work. The transom is bad, wet and rotted. Cracked the top cap from the stress. Thought that pulling the top cap would be the best and checking everything underneath aslo would be the best thing to do as it looks like someone has done this previously as the used drywall screws to hold it back together. Unsure of the work that was done? After looking it over I am not sure what all is needed to be done for the top to come off? I can tell after climbing in the front rod boxes if you have to cut them out to release the cap from the bottom of the hull. Unsure how it was put together at the factory? If anyone has done this and would have ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance. Tony

See my post in the Champ forum

3. Fishing is a Passion
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    See my post in the Champ forum
    I looked at your post at the top of the Forum, I did not find any info on removing the top cap.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

4. Member

Lots of Sawsall Work to pull cap

I pulled the cap to do a complete restoration of my 171SC Champion. I had to cut the top cap loose where it was Tabbed to the floor it all bow storage compartments, all the way around the floor in the cockpit area, several fiberglass skins covering flotation in stern, a section was tabbed at the rear livewell area too. Champion carpeted over the tabbing in the cockpit area so you can't readily see where to cut. Also the transom is glued to the top cap, I had started several cuts before finding the right spot to cut. It's very complicated cutting. Here is a link to my current project. Several pictures are provided of both halves. You may get an idea of attack from them. You boat is bigger. If the transom is wet the stringers will be too. When I drilled holes to see if mine were wet, juice ran out.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=934664

5. Member
    Thank you rojoguio, will probably just cut the back corner of the top cap and then the floor out instead of cutting everything else loose. Not sure at this point which is better though. Lots of work no matter which is done.

6. Member
    As far as the transom repair just use 2" blue masking tape, skin out transom leaving a 2" lip to tie back to, outline the back of the transom all the way around the 3 outer sides (under the stainless trim it is usually rotted free), dig out all the wood, down to the glass, grind everything so it has a tooth for epoxy to stick to. Cut your replacement core (I very strongly recommend Coosa 26) into 3 pieces, fit them dry, then remove for re-installation later. There won't be much glass on the inside, the 4 Champion Transoms I have replaced needed fabric on the inside first. You will be able to dig out the 2x4 across the top of the transom and the tie braces to the stringers from the back. A picture of the 1-3/8" Coosa replacement 2x4 is in my restoration post. I Epoxy everything in on the inside until you get to your outer skin. Epoxy the skin back on then do the 12X's grind on the seam. At this point you can transition back to Vinyl Ester. I have been leaving 3/16" gap between outer Coosa and skin to laminate in more fabric. It ties the 3 core panels into 1 unit before installing the skin. The bottom core I make a pattern out of cardboard, fit it well into the W shape of the bottom. You have to leave it short enough on the vertical height to slide into the taper of the transom. Then cut your other 2 pieces so they seam in the middle, you slide one in under the outer lip and over the bottom piece then the other. Be sure to butter everything well before sliding the parts together, you want epoxy to ooze out from everywhere. Champion just has thickened Vinyl Ester without any reinforcement in the bottom of the W. Again I already have a picture in my post of how clean they will come with a little effort. The stringers on mine are under 3 different layers of lamination's in the stern, I will post pictures when I cut in to it. This is unsolicited directions, you do need a bit of patients, I walk away sometimes and work on something else until I'm ready to do battle again.

7. Member
    Thank you again. started cutting on mine tonight. Taking the back of the top cap off but its stuck to the 2x4 support on the bottom of the splashwell and cant get to it and cant get the gas tank out to access it. Walked away for this evening to think a little about it and may continue again tomorrow with a clearer mind. Again thank you for the advice and im sure i will have lots more questions.

8. Member
    Yes it made me sick to my stomach to cut into it but I know it had to be done.

9. Member
    take a picture, I remove all Champion transoms from the back. I'm not sure what you hae.

10. Member
    I will have to get some pictures tomorrow evening and figure out how to post them. From my phone to my laptop.

11. Member
    Scared to cut out from the back also, didn't want to have to try and put that back together if i did't have too.